Love all the old architecture in Bari! Just a sample. Soon I will post pictures of many old buildings. They are wonderful!
August 27th. One thing that I love and appreciate among the 'friends' here is their love for one another. It is so obvious and their willingness to help one another and me! All the rides, open homes and meals... can hardly take it all in. Wednesday's are bible study night at Caputo's and Luigi picked up AnnaMaria, Concettina and myself. Love our time together there. On Thursday, researched where to start Italian classes. No luck yet. Talked to Liliana about it and she says it is still holiday's here in Italy, and school doesn't start until 15th of Sept. for the school children, so probably won't be anything available until after that. Teachers are all still taking advantage of the warm weather.
August 29th, Friday morning Cristina messaged me if I wanted to go to IKEA. I had slept in until 9am (I'm on retirement time now!), so I hurried along and she picked me up about 10:30. Took our time looking and I purchased a few additional items that I needed for the apartment. Then, of course, it was time for espresso and a croissant :) ... the children were getting hungry :) Sounds reasonable to me!
Notice the very large cup of coffee (espresso) NOT! It is really just a shot of coffee, black as coal and thick as mud... small but mighty!!
After she dropped me off, I had time to do a few things, then shower and clean up as I was meeting Teresa to go shopping for a present for Luigi. We had a great time wandering around Bari Centro, a drink at the cafe, then caught the bus off to her home where we visited until Marco came to pick me up.
August 30, 2014 Next day, Saturday, I spent decorating my wall with my purchases... cannot put holes, so this was my alternative. Love looking up and seeing these beautiful children, makes me feel like I'm not quite so far away.
Aurora had shown me how to make a particular soup that I really liked and had eaten at her home, so I went to the market, got the things I needed and made that and it was wonderful. Thank you Aurora! Now off to bed for an early rise on Sunday.
August 31, 2014 Once again, Luigi picked me up, this time at 8:45, as he had several others he was picking up for church. Then we picked up Freda and headed to Caputo's. After he dropped us there, he picked up AnnaMaria and Concettina. After church, we all had lunch at Caputo's along with Cristina's 'brother-n-law' from Greece who had arrived on Saturday evening. He has been transferred to Naples for his work. Cristina's sister from Greece will join him as soon as he finds them a place to live.
What was for lunch... Riso e frutti di mare (Rice and seafood), then homemade french fries, sausages, salad, bruschetta, watermelon, honeydew, caffe. Always a feast! Roberto (age 2) was sitting beside me and insisted on eating off my plate, so he kept putting more and more fries on it... not my fault!!! really!
Luigi, Roberto, Freda
Roberto questioning the sea food... don't think he was too sure about this
L-R Cristina, AnnaMaria, Concettina, Freda, Mariella, Aurora, Nicola (hidden), Luigi, Marco, Panos, and back of Roberto.
Monday, September 1, 2014 Up early, as I have gotten a few things done in the apartment, then the market, now showered and ready at 11:30am to catch the bus over to Cristina's so I can help prepare the birthday party for tonight. So all for now, will post pics and more later. ciao
What a fun evening. I think Luigi was sufficiently surprised!
Luigi, Freda, AnnaMaria, Malfalda, Concettina, Nicola
Teresa and I
Marco the master chef
Teresa, Luigi and Alessandria
In honor of Luigi's profession... he is a Prosthodontist. Laboratorio Odontotecnico. (I made these out of Apples/Peanut Butter & Marshmellows and the only thing that was easy to find here in Italy was the Apples!!!)
L-R back row Marco, Teresa, Freda, Alessandria, me, AnnaMaria, Aurora, Cristina
front: Nicola, Luigi, Concettina, Malfalda.
Per un Giorno di Serenita'
fatta di quelle Piccole Cose
Importanti perche' Vere...
Per un Giorno passato a sorridere
insieme a Persone che ami.
Per un Giorno che ti fa sentire Unica
Perche' semplicemente
sei Speciale!!!
AUGURI!
Buon Compleanno Luigi!!!
Swatch
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUIGI !
Alessandria fixed Aurora's hair... too cute.
Great evening had by all!! Happy Birthday Luigi! Buon Compleanno! If you don't get your watch band shortened, you can wear it as a necklace... or at least as a choker! ☺
When I arrived home about 11pm and saw I had missed a skype call from my grandkids. No answer when I returned the call, so off to bed for this old gal. No trouble getting to sleep, however, I awoke at 4:30 this morning... ugh. I have much to do today, so not a bad thing... planning a trip tomorrow to Sicily with Freda Good. She needed to go get her things from there and move them to Bari, so was glad for this opportunity. We will spend a week visiting the friends on Sicily before returning. Will post again when I return.
Ciao!!



Joyce Wright Thanks on more time...our Mediterranean trip about 5 weeks away. Wish we could see you.♡
ReplyDeleteSeptember 2 at 5:56pm · Unlike · 2
Carmen Holloway wish I could see you folks too!
September 2 at 5:57pm · Like
Lila Mahaffy You are having too much fun. Ha!
September 2 at 7:18pm · Unlike · 1
Ray Alma Thomas Thanks for the convention pictures and also of the workers.!!!111
September 2 at 7:19pm · Unlike · 1
Lila Mahaffy Carmen, was Luigi' b'd the meeting group, or partial for Bari?
September 2 at 10:48pm · Like
Carmen Holloway actually Lila, only the Caputo's, Malfalda and myself and the three sisters. There are two Sun mtgs here and there are five or six more from ours that were not there last evening, and none of the other one.
September 2 at 11:03pm ·
Buona sera, Carmen! I think that means "good evening". Just read (devoured) your most recent blog :-) You do realize many of us are living/ visiting Italy vicariously thru your blog, right?! Love how you explain everything. Will stop now, my friend. Another request.... when you eat something yummy and get recipe for it, could you include the recipe in the blog? Maybe we'll have a "Carmen's Italian" meal sometime
People Who Like This
ReplyDeleteClose
•
Marilyn J Vickers
•
Jeanie Yung
•
Glenda M. Holloway
•
Carly Baker
•
Rhonda Holloway
•
Elissa Besterwitch
•
Jessica Fae Adams
•
Juanita Hewitt
•
Melanie Beck
•
Laureen Forsberg Robertson
•
Rita Harbur
•
Cindy Good
•
Barbara Fortado
•
Carissa Sparks Hewitt
•
Anna Drake
•
Florine Morrison
•
Natasha Villa Sauceda
•
Cate Faulkner Luebke
•
Kay Laffranchi
•
Lavonne Stipp
•
Stan Foster
•
Paula Zanter-Stout
•
Bonnie Clinton
•
Kitty VanHeusden
•
Emily Helmreich
•
Karmen LiaBraaten
•
Heather Adkinson
•
Kay Hodson
•
Helen VanHyning
•
Christina Read
•
Darci Rowland Carr
•
Cheri Hensley-Kerr
•
Charlotte Koch
•
Debbie Willis
•
Corinne Lee
•
Gladys Malott
Well, I hardly know where to begin and what to say.
ReplyDeleteI have experienced every emotion that you note in your blog. I just can't believe how the people and country of Italian enveloped me. I left a part of myself there.
And I was in amazement as I read of your search for an apartment. I went through the exact experience. It was the last place I wanted to stay but everything else was doors slammed in my face.
I always say that it's easier to pray for closed doors than open ones because there are so many open ones. One person over in the Cambria area just decided not to rent their place after we had talked!
And so we ended up in Mola di Bari which is a wonderful little village. You will want to go park on the sea and then wander up to the piazza to the left of the castle. And have a cafe and pastry at the Adriatica.
Nothing is a coincidence in God's way and so there is not a doubt in my mind that you are there for a reason. No place has ever moved me like that little area. And when Mafalda hugged me my last Sunday there and said in English, "I love you" I nearly melted. Only words of English I ever heard her speak! I wonder how hard she worked on them!
It sounds like you are not so far from the bach either. An interesting, typical traffic street in Italy, Dante!
Will you be getting a car? Sounds like you've put a lot of miles on in foot traffic!
I have a trip planned - to travel one way by ship and spend some time, but I really doubt that it will ever happen. If I had health I would be right where you are! Cancer is getting in my way more and more.
And so I am so glad that you are there. I have prayed heartily for that little church there and I feel like this is an answered prayer. Enjoy every moment with them - it sounds like you have a pretty good start on that!
I married a Torgerson who has no professing relatives and have been divorced for 25 years. I lived in Bozeman and sold real estate there until 2006 when I had to go on disability due to the big C.
And you have been in Moses Lake for 42 years?! That's a long time! What did you do there?
I lost an old man there when I was taking him to his daughter's in Seattle and stopped for a nap while he gave his legs a stretch. It was scary! I think I finally called the police, he was in a motel lobby wondering where I was.
My big MLake story!
Well, I feel like I know you and will be living vicariously through you so make it exciting!
Eileen Torgerson 08/31/14