Way behind in my blogging!!
During this period of time, I have been very busy with my Italian studies and excited for the arrival of my USA guests! Frank and Wanda from Missouri. Will post those pictures and details in a separate blog soon! I promise :)
When I retired, I thought I was going to have all this 'free' time, however, seems like I am just as busy as ever if not busier! Just doing different things. I am however, loving it, since it is things I always wanted to do, but never had the time for. When I decided to come to Italy... it is as if this whole thing took on a life of it's own, and I ended up here in Bari (not somewhere I had planned), with wonderful sister workers with a bach here in the same city within walking distance. I get included in almost all their visits to and with others, which is wonderful, as well as there has been some real needs here in this field and Freda says "God sent you here to help us... you were just what was needed here at this time". Anyway, I don't feel like I have much to offer, but certainly have been well received and loved by everyone. They all seem to be very appreciative and thankful I am here. Of course, it has made me feel welcomed with open arms and I cannot believe how quickly I fell in love with Italy and God's people here and it would be very very hard for me to leave now.
Freda goes to Australia in a couple of weeks for conventions there, and Crenguta and Maria will be here while she is gone. They are three until then. Every Wednesday, we all go over to Malfalda's for lunch, then close to her home is where the evening meeting is at 6pm, so we walk over there, then someone from the meeting always takes us home.
One day, I spent the entire day with a young man and his sister at their dental laboratory. It is quite the process to make dentures! Who knew! Very fascinating. We had a quiet atmosphere and were able to get a lot of visiting done. Teresa cared for their mother since she was 22 years old. Her mother had alzheimers, so she felt responsible to care for her and gave up her fiance at that time. After her mother finally passed away, Teresa was 41 and he had married someone else. She has never married. Lovey person. Another day, we (3 sisters and I) are to have lunch with Tonya and Giacinto. They go to my Wed. meeting and usually give me a ride home. I was able to get a few things cleaned up around the apt. then scurried off again in time for lunch. Now, I will spend the day with Cristina and the children... they want me to come every day, but now they are in school, so it's not possible.
Sundays, I stay with Nicola and Mariella for lunch, as do many others. They have asked me to stay for lunch every Sunday, and I have every time, with the exception being when I go with Luigi and Teresa's or others for lunch. Since I usually ride the bus out to their place for meeting and then the afternoon meeting is just down the street from their place, I usually spend the day with them and also Cristina, Marco and the children... They seem to just expect it :) which I am very thankful for. That way, I don't have to ride the bus four times in one day :) .. well actually 3 times, as someone always gives me a ride back in the evening after that meeting, since it is usually dark by then. Anyway, that is sort of how my weekly routine goes.
On Friday, and again on Tuesday, I had a long visit with the manager of my apartment. From the first day I met him when I rented the apartment back in June, he has been very interested in my 'church'. A very quiet, thinking type, of a man and seems genuinely interested. He wanted to know if he could come to church with me and wanted to know if we used the 'real' bible. Anyway, he has prior obligations these next two Sundays, so that will give the 'girls' time to start Gospel meetings now on Sunday afternoons. He said he would go with me when he gets back in a couple weeks.. so we will see.
In addition to all this, I am, of course, studying the language. Big job for these 'old' brain cells of mine! Anyway, I am getting it ... slowly, but surely. I spend about 3 hours a day. Also, try to get some exercise in as well, so spend a couple hours walking, going to the sea and swimming. Never lived by the sea before and I just love it! It came up a big rain storm one afternoon and I don't think I've ever seen so much water put down at one time, even in Illinois (the king of rain storms!)
Next Wednesday, October 8th, I am going to Rome to meet up with the Burhans, then drive them across country back to Bari, then on to Florence !! Looking forward to them being here with me for 12 days! I hope they are up to all the walking... do a lot of that here!
I still have not made it to the Amalfi Coast... This (picture) is the one place I was going to go to FIRST and I still have not made it there. I looked and looked for a place to live here, but that didn't work out either, but I will get to Amalfi Coast this next summer I hope!!!!
But, I am still loving Bari and all the dear friends. My blog pictures tell the story of what is now my routine.
Olives are getting ripe
and this is still blooming! Has been blooming since I arrived in May
Daniele and Carlo soaking up the beautiful sun.
Teresa's Rice and potatoe and seafood dish!! Yummy!!
Teresa in her kitchen
Looking off her balcony
Lunch at Teresa's with her friends
It was very very very good. I never eat this much fish and I ate this whole fish!
Sunday evening at my house... just like in USA.
They don't eat very many desserts here in Italy, so I made fruit for them. This is sliced Kiwi with creamcheese, pomegranate and fresh mint leaves.
Luigi and Teresa at their Laboratory making dentures.
Who knew it was such detailed, delicate and labor intense work!! I am impressed!
They are artists and sculptors!!
Sunday lunch at Caputo's.
Crengutsa getting help from Cristina
Aunt Lili... those children love their Auntie!!
All fried foods are done outdoors. Great idea!!
Maria Sigismondo, Freda Good and Crengutsa Dusciuc
Crengutsa and Maria
Ciao!

People who like this:
ReplyDeleteAaron Huisman
Alana Fulton
Anna Dimartino
Anna Drake
Barb Rodgers
Barbara Fortado
Barbara Smith
Bonita Stutson
Bonnie Clinton
Brandie Aiken
Carissa Sparks Hewitt
Cate Faulkner Luebke
Charlotte Koch
Christine Phillips
Daniela Dimartino
Dixie Stitt
Glenda M. Holloway
Helen VanHyning
Janet Enderud
Joy Dietzel
Juanita Hewitt
Judi Lewis Hull
Julie LaVergne
Kathy Satterfield Huisman
Lila Mahaffy
Lori Bowkett
LyleKaren Shepherd
Marc Uccio
Marilyn J Vickers
Mary Heston
Melanie Beck
Melinda Downing
Melva Phillips Radom
Mindi Carlson-Burhans
Paul Hernandez
Rachel Forsberg
Rachel Holloway Villa
Serena Edwards Holloway
Tammi Hardiman
Willie Ryan
Michela Fabbro: Thank you Carmen. Un grande abbraccio da noi due!
Charlotte Koch: Sounds wonderful & you look great!!!
Gladys Malott: Sounds like you are very busy and enjoying it also.
Susan Thompson: Keep doing what you're doing....it's all working!
Lila Mahaffy: A wonderful experience! So glad you can do this and are enjoying it. Love your blogging.