Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

May 27 - June 1, 2015 FRANCE - Beaune, Paris (Tour Days 18 - 21) Post 5 of 5



May 27 -  June 1, 2015  FRANCE

Beaune, Paris

(Tour days 18 - 21) 

And two additional days in Paris after tour

Post  5 of 5


Wednesday, May 27, 2015 
Beaune
(Tour day 18)
Light Walking Day


Time to go to France!  Another place I have been wanted to go since my arrival here in Europe last year.  But first a few final pictures of Switzerland, on our way north.  It was raining again this morning, as you can see my the rain drops on the windows, however, also the sun was starting to break through, so was able to get a few more 'great' photos of the very beautiful Lauterbrunnen Valley.

      

Passing through Lauterbrunnen on our way North

And now back on the open road heading north.
    

We stopped at an awesome rest stop and I had my usual fare... coffee!

Lots of photos as we traveled along, sorry for the window glare

        
And here we are at the Switz / France border... Cafe Francais !  Last time to play the anthems and pass the flags around.


      

Along about here, we stopped seeing brown cows and all the cows were white after that


And we've arrived in Beaune. About half of the old walls of this city have survived and are in good condition, however, this was just really a stop along the way for us, as we could not make it all the way to Paris in one day, so we did not visit the walled portion, just stayed in the city center. It was a really 'cool' old town and where we were in the central part was very tranquil and clean and beautiful.


  
Our Hotel in Beaune

 My room was in the attic, and I had a small window and street view, however, the bathroom at some point either had or still has, a major water leak and the mold smell was very very bad.  I had to keep the bathroom door shut and the window in my room open just be able to breath.  Glad we only had one night here!
  
Building across the way as seen from my window
  
Now we are off to visit the famous Hotel Dieu, a medieval hospital.
    
Ken looking for something else to take a picture of. When we were in Switzerland, someone mentioned how many pictures each of us had taken during our travels. Even without a real camera, I managed to take more than anyone with just my phone/camera and then even more after I got my new camera. I also had taken a few hundred the two days I arrived before the tour started, when I toured the Kuekenhof Gardens in Amsterdam, before that camera packed it in. So between three cameras, I now had taken a few thousand photos. Ken was running a close second, so that became the joke after this became known. I haven't found out how many his final count was, as they stayed a few additional days in France after I returned home, so I'm sure he had about as many or more than I did. Anyway, it has been a BIG chore sorting and editing and deleting so many photos... I had over 7000. This is the last of them however, and this is good... took me six weeks! So Ken, how are you doing with yours?

    
The beds lined up along both walls. That sure looks like it would have been difficult, not having access to both sides of the bed.
  

Not sure what these seats were for. We had self guided head sets and a numbering system that identified what each were, however, I seem to have forgotten what this was for. Looks like a Jury Box! Maybe it was here they would decide if you were worth giving treatment to ☺ Actually I think it was either the Choir or where the clergy sat, as it was near...

               
While I was in this room where all the old medicines had been kept, there was a young girl in her early teens, who tried to open every door, and didn't seem to care that I was watching her. I don't know what she was expecting or what she was planning to do if one had opened up.
 
      

   

Now time for some wine tasting. We are in French Burgundy country, wine capital of Burgundy. The town is surrounded by some of the world's most famous wine villages. Many of the facilities and cellars are actually in Beaune itself. It is to one of these that we went for our unique wine tasting experience. This is the cellar
  
 
This was our guide and shop owner
 These are the wine tasting cups, which we got to keep as souvenirs.
 

These two pictures I took when I returned home, showing how shallow these cups are, allowing the wine to aerate
 

Now there was a special way to taste the wine, by putting a little in your mouth, holding it there, then sucking air over it, before swallowing it.  Well, that was an interesting experiment, but it got even funnier, when she had everyone bend half, then sip, sucking air as you sipped...
 
 

 

  Checking the color and clarity

And now the shop... the real reason we were there...  :)
 A wine glass for serious wine drinkers??

Was a beautiful courtyard where the cellar was located
 Now time to try out some French cuisine
This strange looking 'meat loaf'', actually some ham pressed together with a parsley gelatin called Jambon Persillé has been made and eaten in Burgundy for several centuries I understand. After having tried it.... well, I'm not a big fan of it let's say ☺

Jim had escargot and gave me one. I have eaten them before and actually like them, but they are very rich. One is about all I can eat.  Mariella had caught a whole jar full out of her garden... I have a picture in my June blog.
Now I love to always try the local food and drink, however, this time, I was not impressed at all. Boeuf bourguignon, or Burgundy beef, with lots of sauce to mop up with your bread. The sauce is red wine thickened with flour. It may have just been the particular restaurant, but it was really flavorless to me.... or maybe it just needed more salt ☺

However, the dessert was very good. Black currant sorbet
  

After dinner most of us just wandered around town and took pictures of all the cool old buildings.
   
Thank you Ed for emailing this photo of me
Patrick & Vannie

All this traveling and our group was very fortunate, as only minor things happened during all our days on the road and at so many places and different hotels. Someone left a book, etc., but always something minor. Here in Beaune though, Patrick and Cristina lost their credit card in an ATM. They put it in an ATM and it did not give their card back. The banks were closed this day, so there was no one to help them retrieve it. They had enough cash to get by on, however, there just happened to be 'a helpful person' waiting their wanting to know if they would try their PIN again... hmmm. Could have been legitimate advice, however, there are so many people that prey on tourists, that P & C did not have a good feeling, so they DID NOT provide that number again. Anyway, when traveling, one can not be too careful. They canceled their card.

        
Then back to the hotel for the night.
Thursday, May 28, 2015
Paris - Sainte Chapelle and Notre Dame Cathedral
(Tour day 19)
Strenuous Walking Day
(for some of us)


Next morning we were all gather and ready to walk to the bus for our final bus ride to Paris.
During all our time, everyone was very punctual and we never had to wait for anyone. Made it very relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.


Now that I am starting on my last blog post, in our final city together, I find it difficult to close this chapter. Perhaps that is why it is taking me so long to get this post finished. It was so nice to be with everyone and I had kept my original Roster of Tour Members that on the first day, as we introduced ourselves, we were to write something to be able to remember each other by. As I am blogging along, I looked at those notes, and had a good chuckle... that is why it is so wonderful to get to know more about people, and once I finally learned everyone's names, that made it even more special. What a great group of people! From Canada; Baldonnel, BC and  Regina, Saskatchewan, and USA, Philadelphia but now from NC, San Francisco but now from Buffalo, Pittsburg, Sacramento, Orlando, and Texas: Marshall, San Antonio, Dallas but now from Breckenridge, Colorado, Los Angeles, Ogden, Utah and Auckland, New Zealand. So many places, so many different careers: Geologist, UPS driver, 2 Power Co. employees (one retired though... me!) Banker, Law enforcement, accountants, postal worker, etc., etc. We celebrated anniversary's, waiting word of new grand babies, retirements.... We were a very diverse group, but Thanks to everyone it was a grand 21 days! What a nice break from our normal routines and especially for me what a nice break to be with "English speaking" people ☺ and PL for getting my jokes! ☺. Thank you Everyone!

Now on with the blogging...

Paris here we come. More beautiful scenery along the way on the gorgeous sunny day. What was suppose to have been about 4 hours, turned into a much longer day. There was something miles ahead of us happening on the highway and traffic was seriously backed up. We were either sitting completely still or moving a few yards from time to time for about 2+ hours. Patrick and Tim finally got out and started walking, trying to see if they could see anything, but whatever was causing the problem was miles ahead, so they never saw anything.  Eventually, it was time for Peter to take his break, so we pulled over at a Rest Stop and after we got back on the highway, the traffic was moving along nicely, however....
                
...as we neared the city of Paris, we again experience very slow and stopped traffic. Peter decided to take off on another road to see if we could avoid this second traffic problem in one day. He in fact did and we were all very happy about that, finally arriving in Paris and our first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. I was so anxious to get pictures of it, that I started taking them from the bus, however, by the time I left Paris four days later, I had a few hundred pictures of this impressive landmark!



My first sighting of the Eiffel Tower.

And more pictures as we were arriving...

And there was the Statue of Liberty miniature replica of the one they gave the United States.


  

And then we arrived at our Hotel. This is also where we bid Peter goodbye as he unloaded our bags from the bus one last time. He was on his way to Belgium (I think) from here.
The last hotel of the tour. I was planning to stay an additional two days here after the tour ended, and was hoping I would get a decent room, but alas, my view here was of the fire escape between the buildings. Not even a street view. I went to the desk and asked if I could at least have a different room for my two additional days here, but that was not to be either. Anyway, I figured, it wasn't worth the effort at this point to try and find a different hotel and move, since, this really was in a good location, so this is where I stayed until I left on Monday morning. As I mentioned in my first post of this tour, the hotel arrangements for solo travelers will keep me from ever booking a Rick Steve's tour again. Really unfortunate, as otherwise, it really was a good tour.

Our hotel was near the Metro, wonderful restaurants, open air markets and not far from the Eiffel Tower. This made it very convenient.
Rue du Champ de Mars, Rue de Grenille, Rue de Cler, Rue de.... so many convenient locations in this area. It was in one of the shops along here, that I finally found black dress shoes. That was the one thing I had been looking for since day one of the tour, as I had forgotten to pack mine. Now, on almost the last day of the tour I finally found a pair. They were just what I was looking for.
Ben & Eva and Duncan catching a quick bite to eat.

Shortly after we arrived and everyone had a chance to find something to eat, we headed for the Metro for a ride to  the historic heart of Paris, the Ile de la Citè.


Here we are at the Notre-Dame Cathedral





















Palais de Justice
Now off to Sainte-Chapelle




Inside Sainte-Chapelle 








Palais de Justice


After this, everyone was going to take a walk through the Latin Quarter, then take the Metro back to our hotel, however, Patrick, Vannie and I decided we would rather take a walk back along the river. So what would have been only a Moderate Walking Day, turned out to be a bit strenuous for us, as it was a very long walk back, however, it was a gorgeous evening for a walk and I was able to get some wonderful photos, even though, it started clouding up and trying to rain.



Former royal palace and prison, la Conciergerie











Institute des France


Lovers lock Bridge. Patrick and Christina bought a lock and put it on here... but wasn't for long, because on June 1st Paris started removing all of these locks.
  
Here is the link to see them cutting them off and how the bridge looks now with them all removed:
      
 
 
      














After we arrived back to near our hotel, we had a wonderful dinner together at Cafe Central on Rue du Champ de Mars
Patrick and I had the spaghetti and Vannie had a burger 

  
After dinner, we wandered around a little, then headed to the hotel, as we were all very tired.



Friday, May 29, 2015 
The Louvre & Our Final Dinner
(Tour day 20)
Moderate Walking Day

First thing I did when we arrived yesterday was find out where the laundry was, then walk to it to make sure I could find it. It was a few blocks from our hotel. I had only done my laundry once and that was in Austria after the 9th day, and now here in Paris, after 14 more days. Good thing I packed knowing it could be this long between laundry times. Only did laundry two times from the time I left home on the 6th, until the 29th. However. that 14 day period was my maximum... I had no more change of clothes...it was definitely time to do laundry!  Ken came into the laundry while I was there, and possibly others. It was a very nice place and very quick. Thank goodness, since we were to meet at 9am to go to the Louvre.  Got up early and had it done!

Then while my laundry was washing, I walked back to the hotel and had my breakfast, then back to the laundry to put in the dryer... etc., back and forth.  I already had a day of walking exercise in and it was still morning and the walking tour hadn't even began yet!

Now however, it was time to catch the Metro to the Louvre. I am not a really big fan of Museums, especially not almost twenty days in a row, however, I was adequately impressed with the Louvre to recommend seeing it :)  If it weren't for so many 'tourists' hee hee (like us), would even be more fun... I don't like crowds, never have... probably has something to do with my claustrophobia.

Anyone wanting more information about the Louvre, just go on line and read. Very, very interesting.
 
 
Credit to Patrick P for these two pictures



Arc de Triomphe du Carro back & front






 
A beautiful full circle Rainbow here this morning


 
  





Doing what we did best... lining up to take pictures ☺ Credit to Patrick P for this picture




 Okay, enough of the outside, lets go inside



  



 
John the Baptist
 Mona Lisa
The picture below I took from a brochure, and is what the photo should look like I suppose, however it was behind this bullet proof glass, and also if I wouldn't have had to zoom in from so far back, perhaps it would have also helped to get a little better photo. The crowd of people trying to get a picture of Mona Lisa, was push and shove room only!

  





 
    
 



  
 
 

 
  
 
  

 
 













Both ears plugged up and his hands over his eyes... good thing you got lots of pictures to tell you where you've been Ken ... tee heee tee hee heee
Patrick, you clean up so nice!!☺


 
  

  

I am still trying to get used to this new camera I bought, and now that I can compare the photos side by side, there is amazing color contrast in the two cameras.... what's up with this? I have been noticing this with all my pictures, especially with these inside photos where there is artificial light and flash.



And again, same thing here... what a huge difference in the coloring between the two cameras.




Alright time to exit this museum and go see some sights, mainly the Eiffel Tower. Getting directions from Martin.





Patrick, Vannie and I headed for the Tower, but first we stopped at a little outdoor restaurant and had French Crepes!  Oh, they were sooooo good!

  
  
 
 

   

All my travels I have felt like I was in a fairytale and now I end here in Paris with this Cinderella Coach. My dreams of retiring and traveling have come true!
  
"A call white smoach with one nrown bag " translated... A small white coach with one brown nag."
  

After this, Patrick & Vannie wanted to go back to the hotel for a bit of a rest, and I had just enough time to get a pedicure. All this walking I had been doing and wearing sandals, my feet were really needing a little pampering. Didn't have too much extra time though, was soon time to meet up with the group again for our

last dinner together as a group at this Restaurant.
Some of us started with the French Onion Soup... Yummy!!! 
And had chicken for main entree
And Crème Brûlée for dessert
Was a great feast and a great setting, with nice windows and a bit of an overlook
Here are lots of photos from our last time together as a group.  I thought about not including some, but decided it was okay... there were a lot of random shots, just capturing 'un-posed' expressions.

Wayne and Patrick & Vannie
Patrick & Christina
 This one is my favorite picture of you two Patrick & Christina
 Ginette & Wayne
 Back to camera is Margaret & Greg and Ken and Karmen
 Patrick & Vannie
 Ben & Eva
L-R: Elaine & Ed, Kriste & Tim, Jim & Lynn, John & Kathy
Ken, Greg, Margaret, Martin, Karmen
 Tina, Ben & Eva, Michael & Judy
 Tina, Ben & Eva, Michael & Judy
 Patrick looking pensive
 Carmen & Duncan
  Ginette & Wayne, Patrick & Vannie
Martin, Margaret & Greg, Ken & Karmen
 Kriste & Tim
 Ginette & Wayne 
 Kriste & Tim, Jim & Lynn 
  
 Karmen & Ken, Greg & Margaret
 Kriste & Tim, Jim & Lynn
 John & Kathy, Elaine & Ed
 Ginette & Wayne, Patrick & Vannie
 Patrick & Christina, Carmen, Duncan
 Michael & Judy, Tina, Ben & Eva
 Martin giving a speech... but not his last :) 
 But worth a clap for anyway :)
 L-R: Patrick & Vannie, Valerie, Patrick & Christina, Carmen, Duncan, Ginette
 L-R: John & Kathy, Elaine & Ed, Kriste & Tim, Jim & Lynn
 Ben & Eva, Michael & Judy

After this lovely dinner, we took a boat trip down the Seine River. So the joke was: "If you fall into the Seine River, are you in-Seine?"
All these pictures are taken from the boat. Went down one side of the river and came back up the other, so pictures taken of some of the same buildings from different angles and lighting, as the sun had started to set.  Also depended on which camera I used.














Notre Dame Cathedral





Our group




Ed, Patrick & Patrick





 The Orsay Museum




 
 
  
   
 
 
 



After we walked back from the boat toward our hotel, everyone else went on the the hotel, but I wanted to go watch the lighting of the Tower.  Here it is in all it's glory...

  
  
  
  
Then I was off to the hotel to get some rest and the city had come alive... everyone out for their evening meal...
Interesting how the pictures on the boat were so dark looking as the sun was going down and then as the evening progressed, and it got darker and darker, as you can tell from the street lights being on, yet my pictures all show a vibrant blue sky.  I don't know... strange little camera I bought, but sooo glad to have it.  Actually, I can say the pictures for the most part turned out very well. Definitely a big difference in the ones I took with my phone and the ones I took with the new little camera I bought. I continued to take pictures with both, since I really didn't know what kind of pictures I would get, so wanted to hopefully get a few good ones. Major contrast in many of my photos though, taken of the same things at the same time of day and amount of light.

  
 From Rue De Grenelle our hotel was just at the T to the right one door. Last group night in this hotel.


Saturday, May 30, 2015 
Breakfast and Final Goodbyes
(Tour day 21)

That's all folks for the Tour!! Tour ended with breakfast this morning. Most of us met up over a three hour breakfast window to say our goodbyes. Patrick and Vannie had said their goodbyes the night before, as they had a very early morning flight. Others had a later time of departure, and then some of us were planning to stay a few more days. I never really saw anyone after that morning, although I know there was at least one or two couples still staying in the hotel, but everyone went off to do their own thing after breakfast. I did say a quick goodbye to Ken and Karmen when they returned back to the hotel about 9:30 on Saturday evening, and saw Ben and Eva from a distance while I was having lunch this day, but everyone else had left by the end of the day. Duncan went to a bed and breakfast because he was going to be staying in Europe for another couple weeks. Greg and Margaret were off to Greece for more touring, Martin was on his way back to Wales where he lives, and Wayne and Ginette were flying back to Canada Sunday morning and I saw them just as they were leaving and I was on my way to church. Others who I said goodbye to on Saturday morning were Michael and Judy, John and Kathy, Kriste and Tim, Ed and Elaine, Jim and Lynn, Tina and Valerie, Patrick and Christina. Was nice to meet all of you and great days we had together. Now within a few hours, everyone, was either heading back to their homes or going on about their lives and just like that, our 21 days together had become a memory. Patrick P. set up a facebook page and several of us have posted a few pictures there so we have a place to stay in touch. Was a wonderful time together, but now...

the sun has set...  Will we see each other again? This we don't know.... perhaps someday.
Arrivederci

Saturday Moderate Walking Day 
on my Own Now 
as I did not leave until Monday

For me, however, I was going to stay a couple more days here in Paris, so I continued to make a few more memories for myself.  One was my mission to buy French Perfume.  My daughter had suggested that I could not possibly go to France and not buy French Perfume. Well, I wasn't sure, as I stopped wearing perfume several years ago, and really didn't know if I would ever use it or not. Anyway, I decided, why not, I don't buy many souvenirs, and even if I didn't use it so much, I could enjoy it from time to time. Also, picked up several of the smaller ones to bring to my friends here in Bari...for the ladies that is.  For the men, I had picked up book markers from Germany. 

Now I need to back track in my story here a little about this perfume. First of all it wasn't easy to find a shop that sold something that I could not buy at any department store in just about any country (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parfums_Caron). I wanted to buy something unique to France. During one of my walks around the city, I just happened to find this one and it wasn't too far from the hotel. I wasn't prepared to purchase anything the day I found the shop (as in I didn't have my wallet with me), so would have to make a trek back. This was my mission after everyone had separated this morning.

So off I headed. I was at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change, and two young boys came up beside me. I saw the top of their heads, however, I was focused on the light and my vision was much higher than the sidewalk at my feet, so when the light turned, I took a step forward, and down I went on both knees and my elbow. What I hadn't seen by not looking down, was the foot scooter one of them had, with a Big back wheel, which is what I tripped over. Now in the last 21 days I had climbed literally thousands of stairs, walked dozens of miles and not once, did I stumble or fall, but standing perfectly still, then took one step and down I went.

There were about three older gentlemen and several others there who quickly helped me up and making sure I was okay. I was fine and it certainly wasn't the worst fall I had ever taken, so I just walked on to my destination which was the perfume shop.

I was talking to the lady there and sensed someone looking at me, so I turned and looked toward the door and sure enough, one of the older gentlemen had followed me and was looking to make sure I was okay. Now how sweet was that! I gave him a thumbs up and a big smile and then he waved back and left. (I did however, bruise my knees and they did not hurt to walk or anything, but I couldn't actually kneel on them for over a month; they stayed really tender for a long time).

Anyway, I purchased the perfume and it does really smell nice...

Then I had seen a Starbucks on the way over, so that was my next stop. For all you people who have access to Starbucks, this would not be an important thing to talk about, however, there are only very very few Starbucks in Italy, and none where I am, so was a real treat to get to have a Starbucks. I had one in Belgium at the start of my journey as well.

Now I returned to the hotel to drop off my perfume and also to go to the cafe near there for a bite of lunch before I went to catch the bus to go tour around the city.
This was lunch at Cafe Central on Rue du Champ de Mars...
It was at this time that I spotted Ben and Eva in the distance, but too far to catch their attention. After lunch, stopped back at the hotel, gathered up what I would need for the rest of the day and headed out for a day of touring.  Here are those photos. Many are of the same buildings I had previously gotten pictures of, however, I was very high on top of the bus and the day was bright and sunny, so got much better photos. Of course my fist stop was the Tower. Hundreds of people sitting out near the tower watching the soccer match, or was it tennis... I don't remember... on the big screen there.

  

Every time I came near the Eiffel Tower, I had to take a few photos ☺

Now I'm off touring, however, I will end back at the tower and get more photos, also, my plan is to go there tonight again. But for now here are some other things to look at in Paris...

Les Invalides
Hotel Les Invalides

Air France



The Grand Palais des Champs-Elysées






La Madeleine
  



Opéra National de Paris aka Académie Royale de Musique aka Palais Garnier














Former royal palace and prison
Someone having a wedding photo taken here on the bridge
Palais de Justice





The booksellers green boxes along the Seine are a bit of a nuisance. They really block the view when walking along the river.
Institute des France





The Shopping District






 Arc de Triomphe









The modern city


  
  
 
 Now, I went back to the hotel and prepared my things for tomorrow, and had dinner because my plan was to come back to the Tower this evening.

Then back to the tower for the 10pm light show


and more photos of the tower at 10pm before I went up the tower at 10:30.  I just love how the colors changed every time I went.  I have never seen anything like it, even the sky was the most unusual colors every time I took a photo.
    


I booked my tour so late, that there was no chance to get tickets to go up the Tower. Duncan, however, had purchased two tickets, one for Friday night and one for Saturday. He was leaving on Saturday, and would not be using his additional ticket, so he was very very kind and gave it to me! How nice was that! Thank you Duncan! Even though, it had been issued in his name, they do not check names, just scan them, so I had no trouble using it. So here are some photos taken from the tower between 10:30 and 11:30

Yep, I am going up this! My favorite thing is to see cities from above... what a view I got this time!










I was still on the tower when the light show started at 11pm and got a few shots while I was actually on the tower. What amazed me when I looked at these photos later, every one is a different color! Must just be all the reflecting it does from the angles of the steel? I know they use colored light for special occasions, like red or blue, etc., but while I was on the tower and watching it, I certainly could not see any change in the lighting color.



Then of course a few more photos when I got back on the ground
  
 


Got back to the hotel a bit late, since I have an early start for in the morning to go to the other side of Paris for church.

Sunday, May 31, 2015
Church & Day spent with Friends

Up early to catch the metro to the regular train station, then a train to Eric's home on the West side of Paris in Les Vallees. Jonathan had sent me Excellent directions, regarding which trains to catch, and the time schedule. Thank you Jonathan! It went without a hitch... love when that happens ☺. After arriving there a bit of a walk to his house, and it was just clouding up like it could rain.  Shortly after church, it did start raining.
Jonathan Freeburn, Darrin Gedis (Ireland), Ben Reed (Calif.), Darwin Lehue (Canada), Nancy Osborne, Eric Beltou... a few names I remember... those with connections in Canada of people I know there ;) and Ben is from California.
Several of us knew many of the same people, here, in USA and Canada. Was nice to make these connections!
Nancy Osborne and Jonathan Freeburn
Eric Beltou
(Darrin Gedis from Ireland) and I went to the market after church and picked up roasted chicken and bread, etc. We all had a lovely lunch together, then ...
... no Sunday is complete without an afternoon nap, so we all had a bit of rest before...
we caught the train to T'm Café, 17 Avenue Corentin Cariou, 75019 Paris to meet up with other folks for the evening church there. We all had a coffee or other drink here at the restaurant, where we gathered.

The couple, and I think their daughter, in the center of this picture actually live in Paris, but I will have to find out their names again, as I forgot to record it at the time!
Me, Sony Gerome & wife
Sony Gerome and another man from Paris who I actually met getting off the train when I did, however, I didn't record names this day... shame on me!

Jean Barth
Jean Barth, Darrin Gedis, and Gem & Stacie from Canada

The man on far right was from Egypt, next to him a man from Paris, couple next to him is Sony Gerome and wife, me, Ben Reed, Eric Beltou.... skip a few, Gem & Stacie, Darrin Gedis, Jonathan with back to camera. Anyone who can help me with these names, please feel free. I will update when I have them.

What a lovely day spent with lovely people.  After, I caught the train back to near my hotel, I then made one last trek for some last pictures of the Tower before I was to leave early in the morning. I am so glad I did, what a beautiful color it was this night!  Every time I took a picture, it was a different color.

Eiffel Tower... you are unique!! The very last photo I took is one of my favorites!

Below, at the end of this blog, I will post all the different colors of the sky and tower in just the four days I was here... I just loved taking photos of it; the Tower fascinated me, ever changing, never the same photo twice... I took over 350 photos just of it!!!  Next time I go, I am going to stand in the exact same spot several times every day and take pictures and see just how much it changes, in one exact location. I loved the Tower!


Monday, June 1, 2015
Up Early to catch my flight back to Bari


Tour was over, and also my extra days in Paris spent with my friends, now it was time to head home. I rose very early at 4am. I had also gone to bed very late and had difficulty sleeping. I had scheduled a taxi to airport at 5am, as flight time was at 7am, and it was about a 40 ride to the airport... longer if I had needed to go later, during morning rush hour. At least at this time of the morning, the streets were relatively calm, until we neared the airport... I guess everyone had the same idea, to get there early. 

Anyway, my flight was on time, and then I had a plane change in Rome and arrived back in Bari at 11am. From the airport, I caught the train to the station, and then from the station, caught the #2 bus to a stop very near my apartment, arriving home about 12:00 noon. As soon as I put my bags down in my apartment and used the bathroom, I headed immediately to market to get a few things to eat for next couple of days.

Bari Train Station
 Was so good to be back in Bari and the beautiful sea here!
     

During my travels, I would withdraw cash, always what I hoped would be just enough, but not too much, as I didn't want to lose it or have it stolen.  Anyway, I made out very close...  when I arrived home in Bari, I had exactly $12.44 Euro.  That was cutting it close.

Back to the apartment where I ate a small bite, then was so tired I laid down and slept until about 6pm, got up for a few hours, then back to bed.... AH,   

BACK TO THE RETIRED LIFE




  

                 

                       

               

  

                       

                  

                      

               

  

 
I had really hoped to have all the blog posts done of my Tour before the end of June.  Now here it is the 14th of July (my oldest daughter's 41st birthday) and I am just now finishing. Really happy to have this project finished, but was really nice to go back through it all and see everyone and all those things again. This is why I blog and put so many pictures in... I don't have much of a memory now and can only assume it will NOT get better with age. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment