Wow, I sure didn't expect to get this far behind in my blogging again. Life takes precedence and everything else seems to fall by the wayside, so now here I am again, playing catchup!
I will do this in as chronological of order as I can, but since I know the end of the topic, I may post both at the same time. I know there is much I've forgotten, but thank goodness for photos, that help to remind me of what and where, because it has been a very, very busy two months and now a long time has passed since I last blogged. Here are all my excuses... Traveling for three weeks in August with no easy and very limited Internet access, and very, very busy during this period of time, as you will see from all the photos, then when I returned to Bari, still no Internet to speak of until the end of September when they finally hooked up Internet in my Apartment. I had a portable unit, but 12 gig only seems like a lot until you actually start using it. I found that I needed to use it just for emergency and important emails. Certainly not for loading pictures into a blog and spending hours and days on it. I wasn't even able to skype with my family during this time. :( But I was also so busy these last two and half months, that it kept my mind well occupied. After I got Internet, I was so busy making phone calls and talking to my family; that took precedence over the blog, but now I seem to have run out of excuses and need to get this done, as I promised on my facebook post.
Saturday, August 1st
All moved into Mafalda's and a lovely room to stay in at her home.
In my June and July blog posts, you all read how I searched and struggled to find a suitable apartment to rent, and finally found one through Damiano's help. So now, on the first of August, after getting all moved out of my first apartment when the lease expired on July 31st, I met with Damiano and the owner of the new apartment I am hoping to rent. Was hoping to sign and seal the deal today, however, there was some paperwork that the owners did not have with them, so everything will have to be postponed until I return August 20th. I had already reserved a car and was on my way out of Bari for about 3 weeks on Monday.
Sunday, August 2nd
Last Mensile for me here in Bari until I returned for September's. The usual lunch at Caputo's and also,
Mafalda stayed this day, since we were together. She usually goes to her daughter's, however, was really nice to have her here too. Also Alexandra and Panos, Cristina's sister from Naples were here.
Today I got to see a playful side of Nicola I'd never seen before. It was very hot this day and Mafalda kept commenting on how hot she was, when suddenly, and very unexpectedly, Nicola picked up the water bottle and drenched her from across the table. What a surprise! I laughed as did everyone, including Mafalda, however, she certainly had a befuddled look on her face... photo below ☺
Monday, August 3rd
Vacation time! Off to Petacciato and Carema. But first a call to my daughter Carissa as it is her 39th birthday! My baby is almost 40! Does this mean I am old or just older?
Since Mafalda lives close to Caputo's, Marco came by on his way to work and dropped me off at the airport, also close by, so I could pick up my rental car. It was the longest wait I've ever had to rent a car, and I had prebooked and prepaid it!!! I arrived before 8am, and didn't actually get my vehicle until after 10am. They had only one person at the counter, and she was so busy trying to multi-task, that she became even more inefficient! There was only one person ahead of me when I arrived, however, another couple must have been there earlier and now came back, so they also stepped ahead of me, then she was trying to help them at the same time, and was giving the wrong paperwork to the wrong people, etc. Then finally my turn, only to be told I needed a printed copy of my reservation. I didn't bring a printed copy, as the web site said I could use the document from the app on my smart phone. That may be true in other countries, however, it wasn't true here. The lady said I would have to go print a copy and come back! Really? I suggested I send her the email and she could make herself a copy, which is what she did ☺However, she was still very inefficient and finally she even apologized to me, saying she was having a really bad morning... she didn't need to tell me that, I could see it for myself ☺ Finally, I had my paperwork....
Then when I went across the lot to get the car, she had booked me into a two door compact... really?? I had booked on-line and again stressed to her that I needed a mid sized, four door. I would be using the vehicle to take many persons and things from Petacciato to Carema and back, so really needed the larger car. Now, I had to wait for new paperwork, also for the car that had just been returned, to be brought around for me. So much for getting an early start to Petacciato. Anyway, this is what I finally was able to take...perfect! Well except for one thing. It was suppose to be full of fuel when I took it and I would return it the same way, but I noticed it was a quarter tank low, but by this point, I was so anxious to get out of there, that I just didn't bother.
I then returned to Mafalda's, loaded my things and was on my way. It is about a 2 - 3 hour drive... depends on whether you are Italian or not ☺
Originally I had hoped to go to Petacciato at least one or two weeks earlier than this, and was so sorry that I had to miss so many days of the preparations, but because I had to move at the end of July and it was so difficult to find a new apartment, I am just thankful I was able to get there when I did. Next year should be a different story. My contract here in my new apartment is from September 1st, so now it shouldn't interfere with conventions. Also, next year, Carema will be in June, not August. In addition, I have the option to rent for more years here, unlike my maximum one year contract at the other apartment, so hopefully it will be the last time I have to move, anyway for a very long time!! It is a very nice apartment (pics to follow in Sept. blog post) and I will be content to just stay put, especially now that it is all freshly painted and cleaned. It does not have the sea view, nor parking garage, and it required a tremendous amount of work to get it to my 'living standard', however, it has quality and lots of room (3 bedrooms), so I am content. I have room for you all to visit me now!
As I said, the end of the stories may get mixed in with the current days post, so bear with me. Back to Aug. 3rd...
I arrived at Petacciato just in time for lunch, and got to meet Karen Eicher for the first time. We are both from Illinois and she knows so many of the same people I know there, however, her and I had never met before. She has been in the Ukraine for many years and my mother knew her, from the times she would go back to Illinois to visit. Mother used to write and tell me about her, so I was very anxious to meet her. What a great privilege. Here is a photo taken of us, a couple weeks later...
What a great person she is! Certainly enjoyed my time with her for 3 weeks.
After arriving in Petacciato, and a great lunch,
now time to get busy and show them I really do know how to work and that just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm not able ☺ They've obviously never met a Holloway before... but first I got busy taking a few pictures ☺
Esther on Laundry detail
The view I love here at Petacciato
Doug fabricating and repairing doors
Karen keeping the dining room clean
The upper portion of the home is where the family lives and the lower is the dining room and sleeping area for the ladies.
and the beautiful orange tree
Esther looking over the balcony
Danny repairing fence. I helped him for a few hours this afternoon. The brick wall you see lying on the ground actually was the wall with the fence originally on top of it, however, it fell over, and the insurance is suppose to replace it, but it won't happen very soon, so the fence needed to be in place now. Loved working with him. Danny and I talk non-stop when we are together, so I really enjoy 'hanging' out with him. He is such a cool young man. Was so happy I got to meet some of his family in Amsterdam when I was there in May.
It was so hot and humid here, that I had to wear my sun cap to keep the sweat from pouring into my eyes. My hair was a wreck everyday, however, if anyone minded, they never said anything to me ☺ they may have thought all kinds of things, but that's okay, as there wasn't much I could do about it... it is what it is. Besides, I am old... that's about as good an excuse as one needs right? Also, I had on my old glasses and couldn't see so good anyway, since my others were broken just before I came.
Up and at it, getting things cleaned up. There is always something that needs fixed after a property has been sitting for a year, and this year, it was a water leak. Located the leak, however, it would require a plumber to come check things out. Before he arrived however, a failure in the end of a line and there was a huge puddle of water and it had pumped the well completely dry. Now all we had for showers was sand ☺ from the bottom of the well. They fixed the problem, but now we had to wait for the well to fill back up, which took a couple of days. One way to clean out the well I guess.
My buddy Crengutsa. Was good to see her again, as she left Bari a few months earlier to go be with Carla in the north.
Chairs all hosed down this morning and drying in the sun. Carried them all back in later in the afternoon and the gathering area was all cleaned and ready for when we returned from Carema.
Gorgeous sunset this evening. The big orange sun just sinking behind that tree.
Wednesday, August 5th
Up this morning and continued where we left off the day before, however, an early stop this day, as we had our bible study this evening. Normally some would go to another location also here in the area, but this time, we were all together. I made many trips into town this day picking up supplies, parts, etc.
Thursday, August 6th
Up early, finished breakfast, loaded up the cars with those going to Carema on the train and took them all to the Station in Termoli. I think there were 9 going by train. Then headed back to pick up everyone else. Four in my car; Doug, Karen, Julie, me and four in the other: Freda, Danny, Maria and Natalina. Off we headed for Carema in the north of Italy, in the Italian Alps. About an eight hour drive if we only made minimum stops. We stopped only every 2 hours and then just briefly. We did not travel together, however, about four hours down the road, we were motoring along the freeway and I looked to my right over in the far lane and we were passing them. They had just stopped and were getting back on the road.
Friday, August 7th
It was scorching hot here when we arrived yesterday, also today. A major heat wave.
It was scorching hot here when we arrived yesterday, also today. A major heat wave.
Since convention doesn't actually start until tomorrow, Saturday (3 days only, S,S & M), two carloads of us decided we needed to get out of the way, and go to the Matterhorn also...see if we could break or tear a something, hee hee. We packed up a lunch and some snacks and around 10AM we headed that direction. Crengutsa doesn't do so well car riding and going up this curvy winding road with me driving wasn't helping any. We had to stop and let her get her equilibrium back ☺ Was nice and cool in the mountains. A nice change from all the heat!
Crengutsa, Kerri, Joan and IJoan and Doug
Kerri and Crengutsa
Kerri, me and Doug
Climbing up to the overlook, and what a view!
Me, Kerri, Crengutsa, Joan and Doug
Not once all day did we get to see the top of the Matterhorn. It had clouds the whole time.
Looking down on Cervino
The Matterhorn straddles the border between Switzerland and Italy. The summit is 4,478 meters (14692 feet) . First ascent of it was July 14, 1865, so they tell us.
When we came back down, the other carload went on ahead and we ladies stayed in the town for a little while and had a Gelato.
Cervino
Bye bye mountain, I'm sure I'll come see you again next year :)
Crengutsa, Joan, Kerri
Here is what Wiki has to say about it:Fort Bard (Italian: Forte di Bard - French: Fort de Bard) is a fortified complex built in the 19th century by the House of Savoy on a rocky prominence above Bard, a town and commune in the Aosta Valley region of northwestern Italy. The current fortifications were built by Charles Albert of Savoy between 1830 and 1838. It replaced a 10th-century castle that had, itself, been built on an earlier structure founded by Theodoric I in the 5th century. The castle was under the control of the powerful local lords of Bard until the middle of the 13th century when ownership passed to the House of Savoy. Under their control, the defences were strengthened and improved. On May 14, 1800, a 40,000-strong French Army was stopped by 400 Austro-Piedmont soldiers at Fort Bard. They held the pass for two weeks completely ruining Napoleon Bonaparte's plan of making a surprise attack on the Po Valley and Turin. When he heard the news, he named the fort vilain castel de Bard. Bonaparte then gave the order himself, that the fort should be razed to the ground. It was not until 1830 that Charles Albert of Savoy, fearing new attacks from the French, ordered that the fort be rebuilt. The task was entrusted to the famed Italian military engineer, Francesco Antonio Olivero. The work, which took eight years to complete, created a fort with two distinct levels. The upper part had conventional battlements whereas the lower part had 50 gun ports in autonomous casements that were designed to offer mutual protection if attacked. A total of 416 soldiers could now be billeted in the 283-room fort. The upper level had a courtyard which contained the arsenals and barracks. The fort had enough ammunition and food supplies for three months. By the end of the 19th century, the fort had lost its military value and fell into disuse. However, the Italian Army did continue to use the fort as a powder magazine. When it closed in 1975, ownership passed to the government of the Autonomous Region of Valle d'Aosta. In the 1980s the fort opened as a tourist attraction despite many buildings needing urgent repair. Fort Bard has been completely restored after many years of neglect. In 2006 it reopened to tourists as the Museum of the Alps, it has additional art exhibitions and galleries. In the summer, the main courtyard is used to host musical and theatrical performances. The fort, which is at the entrance to the Aosta Valley, is located in a narrow gorge above the Dora Baltea river. It has been used for millennia to control the historic route between Italy and France.
Natalia and Eliseo Dimartino live in Venice. Natalia is a Washington girl who Carissa knew when she was living in Bellingham. Was nice to see them again.
and Luigi, still hobbling around ☺
Saturday, August 8th through Monday August 10th
Back: Anita Krebs (Switzerland), Deon Swanepoel (France / South Africa), Douglas Crompton (England), Danny Kamper, Ralf Wendt, Alessandro Sauvageot (Switzerland), Karen Eicher (Ukraine), Kathryn Newlands (Scotland)
Middle: Karen Lund (Denmark), May Chambers, Freda Good, Carla Castleberry Walter Gruring, Hansruedi Fehr, Enrico Imbimbo, Crengutsa Dusciuc (Romania), Giuliana Bellone
Front: Concettina Grassi, Natalina Degl'Innocenti, Maria Sigismondo, Davide Butterworth, John Jennings (Venezuela), Anna Maria Grassi, Nancy Layman (Philippines), Esther Roulet.
What a surprise to meet this young lady, Erika Chapman, here at Carema, who is living in Istanbul, Turkey. I knew her father, Udo Chapman, from 36 years ago, before he was her father! When my girls and I went to New York back in 1989 we stayed several days with her aunt (Udo's sister) there in Scarsdale and she gave us a personal tour of NY, including Trump Tower and a ride in his gold elevator. The day Erika was to fly home from Carema, the Embassy sent her a travel advisory that there had been an attack on the US Consulate and 9 were killed and the next day 95 were killed in a bombing. She returned to Turkey anyway, however, nice they keep Americans posted of these events.
Jessica from Australia who I met here last year and we then traveled together across Italy. She had called me in July to say she was taking a job in Switzerland and wanted to spend a few days here in Bari with me. However, the timing was really bad, since I was in the middle of moving! and didn't even have a place to stay myself (sort of). Anyway, was so nice to spend some days together with her in Carema. We have since made plan and she will be coming to spend the Christmas holidays with me here in Bari. Really looking forward to that. Her friend is coming also.
Seeing my curly hair in these two photos reminds me of the huge rain we had during the night. Rained buckets and the wind howled and there was concern for these tents and the people in them! My hair is like a humidity meter... gets very curly.
Kerri Ramsay (UK), Jessica Adams (Australia) and Erika Chapman (Turkey). Kerri is from the UK, looks like a very young girl, but she is in fact a doctor and is in her 30's. The day this picture was taken, who knew that her being here at Carema would save a man's life. On Monday evening after the convention was over, and many of us had left, Anita Krebs father dropped to the ground with a massive heart attack. Kerri was still there and immediately assisted. He was air lifted to a hospital, and was in critical condition for weeks. I received an update on him just this last Sunday from Davide, that he is now home and doing fine, and that the Doctor said he had never seen anything like it. That in all his experience, he should have died. If Kerri had not been there, it is very likely he would have.
Alex Eschenbach from 'down under'. Used to come to help here when he was in Czech, but hasn't since he returned to Australia. When Freda was in Australia last year, she invited him to come again.
Maria Sigismondo and me. Missing her here in Bari this fall, as she will go to Sicily this year.
Julie also from 'down under'. Comes to Italy every year to cook at Petacciato. She lived and labored her some years ago.
Everyone enjoying seeing each other again...
Victor and (Michela not in pic) from Venice. They gave me a bad time for not coming to see them when I was there in May. However, being with a tour group doesn't lend itself too well for going visiting in a place like Venice. ☺ I promised to come see them next July.
Switzerland folks. Many from Switzerland come across the border to be here, since it is so close.
Every year, I forget her name, yet she is the sweetest person. Help, I need to figure out a way to remember it. Also to her right is Getta and May
Anita Krebs on right. It was her father who had the heart attack on Monday evening.
May chief cook, did an excellent job!
Alessandra came with her dad, Luigi, this year and was such an opportunity for her. She seemed to really love being here. She sat with me during the convention, as Luigi had to sit where he could keep his leg elevated.
Ernst Suss from Switzerland with his daughter and family. Ernst has spent a considerable amount of time this last year in Ecuador. His wife passed away a couple years ago, and his son is laboring in Switzerland I think, but had spent some time in Spain with Duane Powell, a Canadian who we know well and my daughter and I stopped to see on our way through Spain last year.
Too quickly our days together here at Carema were over and we were headed back to Petacciato. I had stayed in a hotel a couple blocks up the street for a few nights, and had booked for one more night, however, Ralf said we were leaving on Monday evening. Since it was a prepaid room, and too late to cancel, I told Ralf about it, and Deon Swanepoel was able to use it. He was thrilled to have a good night of rest, since he had been traveling for over six weeks! I was very happy that he was so happy!!
Hotels are a little unusual here in Italy. For one thing, the room doors had skeleton keys. That means your key works in all the locks, and vice verse. I actually proved this to be true too, by accident. I was on an upper floor, but after climbing (no elevator) to what I thought was my floor, and they all looked the same, I opened the door and immediately realized those weren't my things. Very fortunate that no one was 'home'!!! But that made me realize if mine opened their door, their key would open mine also. Since very few places have air conditioning here, neither did the hotel, and not even a fan. I borrowed one from Giuliana as it had gotten very hot here in Carema this time of year and the stores were all sold out. Was still more comfortable than the 110 degree tent at Carema though and nice to have a comfortable bed and private bath/shower for a few days.
Hotels are a little unusual here in Italy. For one thing, the room doors had skeleton keys. That means your key works in all the locks, and vice verse. I actually proved this to be true too, by accident. I was on an upper floor, but after climbing (no elevator) to what I thought was my floor, and they all looked the same, I opened the door and immediately realized those weren't my things. Very fortunate that no one was 'home'!!! But that made me realize if mine opened their door, their key would open mine also. Since very few places have air conditioning here, neither did the hotel, and not even a fan. I borrowed one from Giuliana as it had gotten very hot here in Carema this time of year and the stores were all sold out. Was still more comfortable than the 110 degree tent at Carema though and nice to have a comfortable bed and private bath/shower for a few days.
Monday, August 10th
Around 5pm, as soon as we could get every ones things all packed up and say all our goodbyes, we were off to Petacciato. Three cars going this way. Luigi's car was driven by Doug, since Luigi was not able to drive with his leg in a cast. This was the list of arrangements Ralf gave us: Partenza delle macchine da Carema a Petacciato (Lunedi Agosto 10, 2015) Ford Focus: Danny, Julie, Maria, Natalina. Luigi's VW: Luigi, Alessandra, Douglas, Karen, Crengutsa and with me in my rental car: Davide, Esther, Carla. We all got on the road within a few minutes of each other and headed South. We drove into the night, stopping and stretching, getting coffee and snacks. We were not traveling together, however, at some point during the eight our drive, we each somehow managed to stop at one or more of the same rest stops and said hello and goodbye again ☺ as we got on our way. All in all it was a good journey, arriving in Petacciato around midnight or one... don't remember for sure.
Ale and I crashed, we were both so tired, however, next morning there were some early risers and we didn't get to sleep as long as we would have liked.
Tuesday, August 11th
Since Luigi was not allowed to drive from here to Bari, and I was not going back to Bari for about 10 days yet, he had called his sister Teresa and made plans with her to come from Bari on the Train on Tuesday, so I went to the station in Termoli and picked her up when she arrived. They had a bite to eat, a short tour for Teresa and a bit of a visit, then they were on their way.
Ale, Teresa, Luigi
Karen, Julie, Maria, Ale, Teresa, Luigi, Davide, Danny
Now we had a bit of a leisurely work day here this day, as everyone felt the need for a break and a bit of a rest, however, I did make a few trips into the Ferrementa (hardware store) for things.
I think you could just about find anything in this store, however, it may take you a day or two to do it! Only a 'pig trail', so very careful where you swing your bag ☺Now everyone going full tilt, trying to get everything in order for Friday, as many will arrive that day. Conventions are three days here, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Pantry well stocked with Pasta and Tomato sauce. It is the staple food Everyday here in Italy. Friday morning, while Freda was in their meeting, I was waiting for the Bread delivery which never arrived. The local bakery makes huge big round loaves and brings them fresh from the oven. They must have been a bit short staffed, as only half our order finally arrived very late in the day. They were to bake more and bring it on Saturday which they did.
The well had filled back up nicely while we were away in Carema for a week, so we now had water again, however, needed to flush out all the pipes and lines that were very sandy. All in all, Carla said everything was ahead of their usual schedule and she seemed to be relieved about this. I'm sure it relieved much of the pressure that goes with making sure everything is done in time and working!
Saturday, August 15th through Monday, August 17th
Marco Caputo, Steve Butterworth and David Fletcher
The kids all love hanging out with and onto Daniele.
Maria Sigismondo on KP ☺
Steve and Marco
Three Amigos from Bari... Nicola Stasi, Giuseppe Sampaolo, Giacinto Sgaramella
They did not take a group photo here at Petacciato this year.
Domenico comes every year with his wife Caterina, and Freda has been having weekly bible studies in their home on Thursdays for several months now. Lovely to see him here. I was going there as well for several weeks, however, when I took off in May to travel, I haven't been stopped long enough since to go. Now that I am getting settled into my new place, it will be easier to go with her again. Luigi picks them up and takes them, so when I go, I walk to their bach and ride with Luigi also. Will be nice to get back into my 'routine'. Tuesdays to Capurso, Wednesdays to Nicola's, Thursdays to Caterina's in Modugno.
Three lovely ladies.
Emma O'Reilly from South Africa/Ireland, Sherilyn Olls from South Africa/New Zealand and Miriam Griffin from Ireland.
Lunch or dinner whatever you want to call it is a full meal, however, done Italian style, which always includes either pasta or soup first course, then some sort of sliced meat, cheese, bread, salad/some sort of fresh vegetable like tomato or cucumber, and then fruit last. Never varies much from this.
Afternoon tea at 5pm, which is just dry semi-sweet biscuits, rarely any home baked goods, and never cookies, brownies, cakes or pies like we have in the US. This could be a good reason I have lost weight since I've been here, which is a very very good thing, as I really needed too!!
Supper or dinner is last, usually 7 o'clock or later and is a repeat of lunch or similar, or maybe a little lighter fare. If you are eating at a Restaurant, you usually don't make reservations until 8 or 9pm or later. I was leaving a restaurant a 11pm one evening and people were still coming in! Most restaurants usually don't even open until 7 or later. No wonder they need naps here in the afternoon!
This is of course, a general rule, but really, I find this to be the case almost everywhere I go here in Italy. In my own home, though, I revert to my American style ☺
Tuesday, August 18th
Many stayed over on Monday, then helped with the clean-up on Tuesday morning, then gradually, almost everyone was gone, returning to their respective homes. Annual pilgrimage. Everyone loves being together here once a year. What a privilege and wonderful experience I am getting / having here. Thankful every day for it.
John Jennings from Venezuela is Herbert Milligans uncle. He went to spend some time with them and others, also visiting in Ireland before he returns to Venezuela.
Wednesday, August 19th
One last chance for me to get pictures of the Sunrise. Because of the heat and so many people in such a small space, in addition to no a/c or fans, I find it very hard to rest here during the convention, so I get a hotel room for those four days. Now, I had checked out of the hotel and was staying back at Caroppi's, so got up and out early this morning, and it was worth it. Here are the stages of the sunrise...
While I was preparing dinner, I wanted to open the windows, however, the wind was so strong, it was not possible. Now the storm has passed and blue sky is back and gorgeous and sunny, so we were back to hanging clothes out to dry on the upper deck of the home. All the other lines have been taken down. They do not use dryers here in Italy, and those that have them that I have had access too, take FOREVER for the clothes to dry. If you hang the clothes outside, they seem to be dry in no time at all, with the breeze and hot dry weather here, however, it seemed to be very humid here this year.
Everyone worked all day, putting things away and storing them for another year. Loads of laundry getting done as well, and hung out to dry. Julie the cook, had left, so dinner detail was assigned to me. The main kitchen had been shut down and all cleaned and stored, so now I had to use the one in the main house, but not the main kitchen. There was a smaller kitchen in the apartment above, so this is the one I used. I didn't even know where it was, so thanks to Hansruedi, he showed me!
This kitchen was a bit challenging, but however I definitely made it work. The more challenging part was trying to figure out what to cook, since there was not much left in the way of groceries. Around 10am, I decided to just drive into the market and see if I could get some inspiration, and I did, so purchased what I needed and got busy cooking. I will say, it was American cooking and everyone really, really enjoyed it or said they did, and I think they were a bit tired of pasta too! I made garlic fried potatoes, ham, coleslaw, and mac made with four cheeses... just basic fare, but when you haven't had it for a very long time, it really tastes wonderful! They cleaned it all up! and I noticed, no one even ate bread this meal. Made the cook (me) happy to see them eat heartily and so glad it didn't turn out to be a disaster... never know about these things, when everything was so out of my 'normal' ... the kitchen, the stove, utensils, supplies, logistics, about 10 or 12 people, allotted time, etc. !! It helped that all or almost all were not native Italians too ☺.
They were all going for Pizza for supper, which is their annual routine, and I would love to have joined them, and originally had intended to, but as the day wore on, I realized I would be very late getting back to Bari, so along in the late afternoon, I packed up my things and headed for Bari.
By the time I arrived in Bari, I was so tired, that I was really glad I had left as early as I did. When I arrived at Mafalda's, no one was home. Lena and Maisie from Switzerland were here visiting Mafalda and were spending the night here also, and they had all gone into town for dinner, and would be home later, but I was so weary and exhausted, all I wanted to do was shower and go to bed, so that is what I did. I did greet them when they came in later, however, was back into dreamland almost immediately. I had brought their luggage down from Petacciato, since they were taking the train to Bari, and this way they didn't have to drag all their luggage on and off the train. They could have ridden down with me too, however, they wanted to be there for the day, and I wasn't coming until the night.
Thursday, August 20th
We all got up early and I took Maisie and Lena into the train station before I went to the Airport to return my rental car. I arrived early at the rental car place, so even though I had to wait for a while, I was able to be first in line, when the man finally arrived. I was out of there in no time, unlike when I picked it up. Marco came and picked me up and dropped me off at Mafalda's on his way to work.
Was great having a car for three weeks, and I sure missed it the first few days after! And many days since then when I've needed it for specific reasons, however, for the most part, I really don't need one. The buses and trains work well for me. Parking is very limited here in the city and very expensive, so it really is easier just to not have a car. Also, insurance is very high here, since I have no 'history' in Italy. I will continue to rent one for the occasions when I really want one.
Mafalda was gone when I returned and was gone all day. I had loads of personal laundry to do and sorting and repacking my things now that I was not on the move. Spent all day doing these things and taking a nap. I really was very tired, so I was glad Mafalda wasn't there, as I would have felt obligated to be social, and my exhausted body just wasn't up to it. I had been in constant motion for four months, between my trek in May around Europe, only to return in June and July to start looking for an apartment and then moving to Mafalda's and without stopping, going again on the road to conventions for 3 weeks. It was time to stop, or so I wished. Mafalda goes and goes and goes, like an energizer bunny and I soon found out this was going to be my only day of rest.
I phoned Damiano today, to see when the owners could meet to sign the contract now that I was back in town. They were coming down from France on the weekend, he said, and were packing things up in the apartment, etc., so we are scheduled to meet on Monday.
Friday, August 21st
The first few days of the month while I was here, Mafalda kept wanting me to go to her daughter's with her, and although, I really wanted to go, I was so busy with all my moving, etc., it just wasn't possible for me. However, yesterday, I was able to have a bit of rest, so today, we spent it at her daughter Miriam's. This is Miriam's home.
Miriam and her husband, Daniele, wanted to take me around and show me some sights, and also a resort that Daniele had been the interior designer on, so they came by about noon and picked us up.
It is so large, they provide bicycles and paths to get around it. Also golf carts.
Fichi d'India. Fruit of the cactus, that is similar in texture and taste of a fresh Fig, however, the seeds are a lot larger. I find because of the seeds, they are hard for me to eat, whereas I love fresh figs!
Then they all took their turn trying their golf swing..
Then we headed to Alberobello.
Along the way we saw so very old and giant olive trees.
Alberobello (Italian: [ˌalberoˈbɛllo]; literally "beautiful tree") is a small town and comune of the Metropolitan City of Bari, Apulia, southern Italy. It has about 11,000 inhabitants and is famous for its unique trulli buildings. The Trulli of Alberobello have been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1996. Alberobello was first mentioned in the early sixteenth century when the first 40 families got land to farm in the area. The abundance of calcareous sedimentary material in the area lead to the building of houses with dry stone without the use of mortar. These houses were the first trulli which contributed to the expansion of the settlement. Building the houses of dry stone was a requirement of Count Giangirolamo II as this way it was avoidable to pay taxes on them. Alberobello was feud of the Acquaviva of Aragon until May 27, 1797, when King Ferdinand IV of Bourbonreceived Alberobello and issued a decree that elevated the small village to a royal city, freeing them from feudal serfdom.
the back and the front
Another little town, I forget the name where we stopped for dinner and a walk around.
It was a lovely day, but now, it is getting very late, I am getting very tired and tomorrow is Sunday, which means an early rise. Well not so early as usual, since I am staying at Mafalda's and she lives just down the street from Nicola's. Plus, I don't have to catch a bus. We will go in her car. Speaking of her car... this one..
Monday, August 24th
Got up early with the sunrise, and went with Marco to pick figs to take to the market.
Returned to Mafalda's, and got cleaned up and ready to catch the bus and go into town and meet with the owners of my new apartment and Damiano, to get my rental contract signed. All went well, and I can pick up the keys tomorrow!! Yeah!! It was dark though, by the time I got on the bus to go back to Mafalda's and since I have to walk a fair ways from the stop, along a dark road, I called to have her meet me at the stop. She did, however, while I was on the bus, there was a man who was definitely 'under the influence' of something and was being very antagonistic to other passengers. When we stopped, about 15 guys got off and one decided he had had enough of this guy and fists started flailing. I was so glad I had called to have Mafalda pick me up!!! She wanted to sit there and watch it, but now it was me saying to her, VI VI (go go). I didn't want to get mixed up in it!
Tuesday, August 25th
Yesterday evening and today Dr. Maurizio and Penelope Vivarini from Australia are in Bari visiting, and also to pick up their son who has been traveling all over Europe, and they haven't seen for several weeks or months, will be arriving on the train here. Maurizio is an Italian, however, he was raised in Australia and is married to an Australian. Several of us here are hoping they will come back to Italy and live here at least part time. That would be so wonderful. They are the nicest people and was lovely to get to hang out with them today. Luigi offered to take them around and show them some things in Bari, so they picked me us this morning at Mafalda's and I got to spend the day with them. It was lovely!
It was such a lovely day, I really hated to part ways with them, but I needed to meet with the owners at the apartment at 3pm and pick up my keys before they left town. Besides, I was very excited to get them, so I could start moving! After getting the keys, I then returned to Mafalda's and continued packing up the few things I still had out for daily living. Mafalda was sad to see me leave and begged me to stay until the end of the month. That was sweet and nice of her, but I really wanted and needed to get started cleaning on the apartment and get my things moved in. Since Luigi wouldn't be able to help me move my things until Thursday, and since Wednesday I would have to come back out here anyway, I decided, I would stay Tues. and Wed. with her, but Thurs., I would stay in my apartment.
Wednesday, August 26th
This morning, I loaded as much as I possibly could into Mafalda's small car and her and I went into town. Now that I had the keys, she wanted to see the apartment. Unloaded those few things, then she and I went to her daughter's. After that, we returned to Mafalda's, where Giacinto and Tania picked us up and took us to their place for lunch and afterwards we all took a nap, before heading off to Nicola's for bible study.
Thursday, August 27th
Busy morning getting everything put together and moved. Luigi was such a great help, but I was concerned he would re-injure his leg, as it was not totally healed yet. Anyway, we loaded my things at Mafalda's, then when we arrived here at the apartment, one of us had to be with the car at all times, so we lugged everything into the lobby of my apartment first, then he stayed on the lower level and loaded the things onto the elevator and I would buzz it up to my apartment (66 steps) and unload it, then he would buzz the elevator back down and load more on it. Worked very well. Not room for people and things, but by doing it this way, we didn't have to climb all those steps over and over. Two trips back to Mafalda's, and we were done with that part of the moving.
Luigi then took me to a used furniture shop, which had very nice things for minimum costs, so I will probably purchase a few things there when I get to that point. The most important things I need are beds. I could use a sofa, but not entirely necessary, as the owner left an old one here, that actually sits very nicely, but has major cat scratches. More about all this furniture stuff when I blog in September.
Later in the evening when Marco arrived home from work, there was a table I needed to get from the owner's father, so both Marco and Luigi helped with that, since it was a beast to move. Poor Marco had to carry it down from the apartment where it was because it was too large for their elevator, figure out a way to get it roped to his car, and then carry that huge heavy pedestal up my 66 steps on his back, then back down and carry the table top up. He was exhausted from that and I was too, just watching him! There was no way to help, he said, since he could balance it and go up the steps better by himself. At least when I leave here, I won't have to move it. It stays here!
My first night in my new place! Yeah! I don't have a bed, so I ordered this air mattress and it works for now.
Friday, August 28th
Now to get organized. But first to clean. The Kitchen will definitely need a lot of scrubbing before I put anything in there!! Well, that ended up taking me 16 hours!! and that was just to clean. The grout was black, the tiled walls were black with grease and dirt. The exhaust vent, the cupboards.... everything covered with years of grease. The painted walls were not washable paint, so unable to even clean them. There are so many things I still need to do in there, but in time....
Now tomorrow to tackle the bathroom. So just existing here for now, since I really don't want to unpack anything until it is cleaned.
Saturday, August 29thNow to get organized. But first to clean. The Kitchen will definitely need a lot of scrubbing before I put anything in there!! Well, that ended up taking me 16 hours!! and that was just to clean. The grout was black, the tiled walls were black with grease and dirt. The exhaust vent, the cupboards.... everything covered with years of grease. The painted walls were not washable paint, so unable to even clean them. There are so many things I still need to do in there, but in time....
Now tomorrow to tackle the bathroom. So just existing here for now, since I really don't want to unpack anything until it is cleaned.
More of the same.... clean, clean, clean. Took me six hours to clean the bathroom. Lots of tile and everything appears as if it probably has never had a good cleaning.
The painted areas, not getting any better. The more I clean, the more I realize, I am really going to have to paint. I had mentioned to the owner the very last thing before we parted if she minded if I painted and she agreed it really needed it, but we never actually settled anything definitively.
Sunday, August 30th
A day of rest. Off to Caputo's this morning and the day. In the evening after bible study at Mafalda's Luigi took us all out for Gelato in Bari Vecchio.
So to start, I phoned Luigi and he arranged to bring a couple painters over to give me a bid, since it has very high ceilings and needs some crack repair, etc first. Simple painting I was happy to do, however, the more I noticed, the more I realized it would probably be better to have some help. Luigi then took me to Leroy Merlin where I was able to buy the paint I wanted, and supplies etc. He brought me home and helped unload all that. Now the rest of this story and the photos I will post in the September blog. I'll try to get that posted soon.
I do want to say a great big Thanks to Luigi and Marco and Mafalda and so many others! What would I do without these wonderful friends!!
And that concludes, August 2015... a very very busy 31 days!











No comments:
Post a Comment