Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2016

April 2016 London and Windsor Castle

April 2016 London and Windsor Castle

Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle

London Eye

It has taken me a while to get back to my blogging, so now I am a month later than I had wanted to be. Current life and entertaining seems to have taken precedence over my blogging. After all, I've already done this and now am on to my next.... ☺ Last Friday, at the ladies luncheon here at my house, Cristina questioned me "where are your London photos", so I promised her I would get them done 'next week', and now I must get to it!

So now to try and reconstruct what I did in some sort of order.... I'll do my best.

First, I was feeling so much better by the time I left Ireland. And even though, the weather was still partly sunny, partly rainy everyday here in England, it was considerably warmer, and not as windy. I arrived on a late flight, however, my hotel was very near the airport, so only a short shuttle bus ride. Next morning, I started scouting the Internet and trying to formulate a plan of what to do first and what I thought I could accomplish in the few days I had here. Mariella and Liliana were coming on the evening flight and I would meet up with them in the morning.

In hindsight, I wish I would have booked a room right in the heart of London, even though it would have cost considerably more. Being near the airport has its advantages when you are catching flights, etc., but for commuting back and forth to downtown, it took a lot more time, and was a bit costly also. I did enjoy my train ride each morning, however, but at the end of the day, I was usually very tired and just wanted to be at my room. In addition, just getting around on all the subway trains in London also took a lot of time. London is actually much bigger than I had realized. 

Anyway, this first day, I headed downtown and purchased my London Pass and Oyster Card (Highly recommend doing this, even though, there were a few discrepancies in it, overall, it was very cost effective. One price covered the entrance fees for dozens of sights, enabled me to enter ahead of the long lines, many discounts, etc. The oyster card was a prepaid card for riding the subway and made all the train changes smooth and hassle free). To really see and have time to do all the 'touristy' things here in London, ten days to two weeks would be ideal. I felt very rushed and didn't have much time to just enjoy the leisurely side of London. 

With all this being said, I LOVED London! Something about it that really attracted me. So here the photos of my time in London. Due to the weather changes often during the days, and also because I took these photos over several days, many of the same buildings, but from different perspectives, they have all kinds of backdrops. I will post the 'aerial' ones that I took from the London Eye near the end of this blog. They are of all the same buildings, but again, from a different view.

Friday, April 1st.

My birthday present to myself was a new camera I had purchased in Bari before I left on my Ireland/England trip. Even with all the weather challenges, it seems to take good pictures and I am very happy with it. I notice I have several photos with spots on them when rain drops got on my lens. I tried to keep it wiped off as often as I could, but see I still got a few drops/spots.

I will let the photos show London and will only comment a little. Many are just architecture photos.. I have enjoyed the architecture in Europe since I arrived.
London Eye



Subway / Train station. I went through this station every day.
The Taxis are really cute in London.

Another station

Palace of Westminster, Houses of Parliament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Westminster




Wiki: Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, and often extended to refer to the clock and the clock tower. The tower is officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 2012; previously it was known simply as the Clock Tower. The tower holds the second largest four-faced chiming clock in the world (after Minneapolis City Hall). The tower was completed in 1859 and had its 150th anniversary on 31 May 2009, during which celebratory events took place. The tower has become one of the most prominent symbols of the United Kingdom and is often in the establishing shot of films set in London.







As in most of these old buildings, photography is not allowed, but there was lots to see inside! These churches all have many people buried inside them.



Westminster Abbey where the funeral of Princess Diana was held and also the William & Kate were married. 











Then I took the long walk through St. James park on my way to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guards.


 Buckingham Palace
Wiki: The park is bounded by Buckingham Palace to the west, The Mall to the north, Horse Guards to the east, and Birdcage Walk to the south. It meets Green Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria Memorial at its center, opposite the entrance to Buckingham Palace. St. James's Palace is on the opposite side of The Mall. The closest London Underground stations are St. James's Park, Green Park, Victoria, and Westminster.

The changing of the guard was a long drawn out process, and as you will see in these photos, hundreds of people lined up here to watch it. Was very difficult to get photos, but somehow, I managed to get a few.














The carriage house where the Queens 'buggies', etc. are kept.

 Wiki: The Gold State Coach is an enclosed, eight horse-drawn carriage used by the British Royal Family. It was built in the London workshops of Samuel Butler in 1762



Now to catch the subway again and go meet up with Mariella and Liliana.
Just outside the subway in this location, is this beautiful old building. I inquired what was it and was told "Americans" had purchased it and was remodeling it into a hotel. I can only imagine how grand it will be!


And here they are! My beautiful wonderful Bari friends come to London to celebrate my birthday with me. Unfortunately, Mariella got sick, and was feeling very bad this day, even though, she came out and did as much touring as she was able. It seemed like she may have had the same thing I got when I flew to Ireland.

Tower of London.              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_London


Our tour guide. I will say, I did not enjoy his 'approach'. Very brash and egotistical. Not saying I could do any better, just that it was 'not my style'. It was very informative however.

"Prisoners at the Tower
Ranulf Flambard: The first prisoner at the Tower was Ranulf Flambard. In 1100, as Bishop of Durham, he was found guilty of extortion. He escaped from the White Tower by shinning down a rope that was smuggled into his cell in a wine casket.
John Balliol: A Scottish King, he was captured by Edward I and imprisoned at the Tower in 1296 for three years. Treated well and even allowed to go hunting, John was released as part of a truce and spent the rest of his life in France.
George, Duke of Clarence: Arrested for plotting against his brother Edward IV, George was found guilty of treason and imprisoned at the Tower in 1477. He was executed in secret, with rumours that he had been drowned in a butt of malmsey.
The Princes in the Tower: 12-year-old Edward V and his younger brother Richard were sent to the Tower by their uncle, the Duke of Gloucester. By July 1483 they were declared illegitimate and the Duke was crowned King Richard III. The princes were never seen again.
Anne Boleyn: The second wife of King Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn was arrested on 2 May 1536 and accused of adultery and incest by a king anxious to remarry. On 19 May she was beheaded within the walls of the Tower.
Anne Askew: Anne Askew was a Protestant reformer charged with heresy on 28 June 1546. She was tortured at the Tower in an attempt to force her to name other Protestants, before being burned at the stake in Smithfield on 16 July.
Lady Jane Grey: Queen for just nine days, Lady Jane Grey was found guilty of high treason and sent to the Tower. On 12 February 1554 she watched her husband go to his death before she too was beheaded on Tower Green, aged just 16."


http://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/visit-us/top-things-to-see-and-do/the-crown-jewels/diamonds-and-crowns/famous-diamonds/#gs.9b=JLoU
Crown Jewels.
 Wiki: The tradition of housing the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London probably dates from the reign of Henry III (1216–1272). The Jewel House was built specifically to house the royal regalia, including jewels, plate, and symbols of royalty such as the crown, sceptre, and sword. When money needed to be raised, the treasure could be pawned by the monarch. The treasure allowed the monarch independence from the aristocracy, and consequently was closely guarded. A new position for "keeper of the jewels, armouries and other things" was created, which was well rewarded; in the reign of Edward III (1312–1377) the holder was paid 12d a day. The position grew to include other duties including purchasing royal jewels, gold, and silver, and appointing royal goldsmiths and jewellers. In 1649, during the English Civil War, the contents of the Jewel House were disposed of along with other royal properties. Metal items were sent to the Mint to be melted down and re-used, and the crowns were "totallie broken and defaced".  When the monarchy was restored in 1660, the only surviving items of the coronation regalia were a 12th-century spoon and three ceremonial swords. The rest of the Crown Jewels had to be recreated. In 1669, the Jewel House was demolished and the Crown Jewels moved into Martin Tower where they could be viewed by the paying public. This was exploited two years later when Colonel Thomas Blood attempted to steal them. Blood and his accomplices bound and gagged the Jewel House keeper. Although they laid their hands on the Imperial State Crown, Sceptre and Orb, they were foiled when the keeper's son turned up unexpectedly and raised the alarm. The Crown Jewels are on display in the Jewel House in the Waterloo Block.


Three queens of England Anne Boleyn, Catherine Howard and Jane Grey are buried here. Their headless bodies were buried under the nave or chancel without memorial until the 19th century when remains found in the nave were re-interred in the crypt.





Tower Bridge. Now this was a tour I really enjoyed. Lots of stairs to climb to get up the those cross beams at the top, but well worth it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Bridge

On the way, though, looked what I found! I got a free one because it was my birthday!


There are class floors in the bridge that you can stand on and look down.

Views from the bridge.












Later, we had to have another coffee, so here we are again at a Starbucks! I don't think I can really say that I have missed all the Starbucks we have in the USA, however, there is just a homey/comfortable feel about sitting in a Starbucks. We are suppose to be getting one here in Italy, in Milan, this year... so I hear. However, I am a long way from Milan.
Mariella, Liliana and I

Happy Birthday to me. Thanks M & L !!


Then we were off for a cruise down the river. 


Then a close up of the London Eye as we walked through the park. I did go on it, only not on this day.

M & L walking along all bundles up. It really was windy and plenty chilly this day.
Food courts along the way.

Then a walk back across the river.


Now we have arrived at the Restaurant owned by Mariella's nephew. Liliana's cousin.

 Inside their restaurant.
 Cousins wife working hard.
Lili and her cousin.

Since Mariella was feeling so poorly this day, she decided to not join us for dinner and went on back to the home of her nephew's, where she and Liliana were staying. However, Liliana and I went off to find this restaurant. 

So what did I have for my birthday dinner?  Well for all those who know me well, you will be surprised. I had a 'real' hamburger! On any given day, generally speaking will not eat hamburgers, but after being away from USA for so long and not even seeing a hamburger, and especially one with REAL bacon and cheese, somehow it just appealed to me. And I will have to say, it really did taste very good.

Then dessert. We did not order dessert, this was compliments of the Restaurant.

Thanks for the photo Lili.... what was so funny? I have no clue ☺ Anyway, we had a lovely evening and after a very long day, as it was now about 11pm, I think. What a great way to spend my b'day.

Now time to get on the subway, get back to Liverpool Street Station where I get the Stansted Express train out of London back to my Hotel.

Down, down, down, these very long escalators to deep underground.

The trains would arrive quickly, and just as quickly leave, so hop on and off as quick as you can. I suppose this is why things get forgotten. There are over 300,000 items found each year. The top five items left were Mobile phones (they find around 150 per day) and of these more than 20,000 were never claimed last year; Travelcards 18,433; Wallets 11,580; Umbrellas 10,908; Keys 10,790. Seems most people are honest and turn these items in. There is a three-story lost and found warehouse where this stuff is stored and can be claimed.

  "Last year 22 per cent of the 302,714 items handed in were returned to their rightful owners including a brown envelope containing £15,000 and an urn of ashes that had been kept by workers at the lost property office for almost seven years.  Mr Cowan, who calls his job ‘one of the best’, said the number of items lost on the network would increase as more passengers used the service. ‘The number of properties lost is fascinating, every day we’re getting well over 1,200 items of property found across the network, it’s staggering,’ he said. ‘The volume continues to go up as the number of people living and travelling in London increases.’   Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3425694/A-prosthetic-leg-life-sized-Spiderman-doll-thousand-umbrellas-Inside-Transport-London-s-Aladdin-s-Cave-lost-property-300-000-misplaced-items-ended-year.html


This was a map of all the subway trains and station stops, so made using the system very easy. Eventually over the course of five days, I covered a very large portion of all these. The system has 270 stations and 250 miles (400 km) of routes.

Got back to my hotel and had a great rest, but didn't want to get up on Saturday morning. However, this would be my only day available to visit Windsor Castle, so I did get up and am so glad too.

Saturday, April 2nd

 It was a long, long day, as by the time I did all the train changes (5 changes going and 5 changes returning) it took me 3 hours just to get there and and 3 hours to return to my hotel. What a great day it was though. Again, rain and sun intermingled. I am so glad I went. I was very impressed to say the least. I took a LOT of pictures of Windsor Castle!

Okay, needless to say, I have long been fascinated by the Queen and all her family, like most people. I was however, not expecting what happened when I visited Windsor Castle. I fell in love with Windsor town and Windsor Castle.

First, you arrive by a very old train that you have to catch at Paddington Station in London. It is a fair haul out to Slough, where you have to change to an even older train that take you to Windsor, the town. But as soon as you step off the train, your eyes and senses are greeted by this very lovely old town and there was just a 'feel in the air' about this place, that I fell in love with!  They say the Queen prefers Windsor Castle over Buckingham Palace in London.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/love-in-the-house-of-windsor-the-queen-and-prince-philip-31281397.html
Wiki: Windsor Castle is an official residence of The Queen and the largest occupied castle in the world. A Royal home and fortress for over 900 years, the Castle remains a working palace today. The Queen uses the Castle both as a private home, where she usually spends the weekend, and as a Royal residence at which she undertakes certain formal duties. Every year The Queen takes up official residence in Windsor Castle for a month over Easter (March-April), known as Easter Court. During that time The Queen hosts occasional 'dine and sleeps' events for guests, including politicians and public figures. The Queen is also in residence for a week in June, when she attends the service of the Order of the Garter and the Royal Ascot race meeting. The Order of the Garter ceremony brings together members of the senior order of chivalry for a service in St George's Chapel. Beforehand, The Queen gives a lunch for the Knights of the Garter in the Castle's Waterloo Chamber. Any new Knights of the Garter are invested by The Queen in the Garter Throne Room. On the walls are portraits of monarchs in their Garter Robes, from George I to the present Queen, whose State portrait by Sir James Gunn was painted in 1954. Windsor Castle is often used by The Queen to host State Visits from overseas monarchs and presidents. Foreign Heads of State enter the Castle in horse-drawn carriages through the George IV Gateway into the quadrangle in the Upper Ward, where a military guard of honour is drawn up.
The traditional State Banquet is held in St George's Hall (55.5m long and 9m wide), with a table seating up to 160 guests. Recent State visits held at Windsor Castle include those of President and Mrs. Mbeki of South Africa (2001), and King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan (2001), as well as a special visit by President and Madame Chirac of France to mark the centenary of the Entente Cordiale (2004). St George's Chapel remains an active centre for worship, with daily services open to all. The Chapel is a Royal Peculiar, that is, a chapel which is not subject to a bishop or archbishop but which owes its allegiance directly to the Sovereign. The Chapel, together with the remainder of the College of St George (a school for 400 children and St George's House, a consultation centre), is governed by the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who, with their officers and staff, are independent of the Royal Household. Many Royal weddings have been celebrated in St George's Chapel, most recently that of Prince Edward and Miss Sophie Rhys-Jones in June 1999. In 2005 a service of dedication and prayer was held in the Chapel following the marriage of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall. Funerals such as those of Princess Margaret and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, have also taken place there. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother lies buried in the Chapel with her husband, King George VI, and Princess Margaret, her younger daughter. Various departments of the Royal Household are based at Windsor Castle. The ancient Round Tower houses the Royal Archives and the Royal Photograph Collection. The Print Room and Royal Library house precious drawings, prints, manuscripts and books in the Royal Collection. These are shown in a programme of changing exhibitions in the Castle's Drawings Gallery. Those who live and work within the Castle include the titular head of the Castle community, the Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle; the Dean of Windsor, Canons and other staff who run the College of St George; the Military Knights of Windsor; the Superintendent of Windsor Castle and his staff, who are responsible for day-to-day administration; the Housekeeper and her staff; and soldiers who mount a permanent military guard in the Castle. Windsor Castle is also a busy visitor attraction. Many parts of the Castle are open to the public, including the precincts, the State Apartments, Queen Mary's famous dolls' house, St George's Chapel, and the Albert Memorial Chapel. When The Queen is in official residence, Changing the Guard provides a colourful spectacle in the quadrangle.










The flag was flying, meant the Queen was in residence. She comes to this residence every year for the month of April.










The people you see in the 'moat' gardens and in some other photos on the balcony, etc., are guests at the Castle. They were not tourists.

The flag was flying, which meant the Queen was in residence.


  We had headsets for our self guided tour, and the first voice you hear is Prince Charles. He narrated the first portion of the tour.






Inside the doll house.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mary%27s_Dolls%27_House





































Inside the Castle. If no pictures are allowed in the Castle, I would sure like to know where these came from ☺ You start your journey through here, same as everyone else....  The opulence of it all is overwhelming. The amount of wealth displayed is beyond comprehension, and this is only ONE of their residences. They had huge tables made from PURE silver. Just the value of the silver alone, not including the collector value is astounding!

I think for me, what made this castle so impressive, is that the Queen actually lives here. Unlike so many places I visit, where it is just history, however, this is real life! I could just picture William and Harry rolling down those lawn hills, and actually had this discussion with one of the guards, who said, yes they did, and because of this, they put up fences to try and 'control' the boys so they wouldn't get hurt. ☺ These rooms are used currently and there were three we were unable to see, as there were dignitaries visiting and they were being used during this time.
















I say again, I am impressed. But let me clarify, I am not impressed because they have 'loads' more money and castles than I do ☺, but because there are real Kings and Queens who actually live in our day, and even though I understand, they are only a figure head, it helps me appreciate and understand better, King Solomon, etc., in the bible. The older I get, and the more knowledgeable I become about how the bible is not just ancient history, but applicable in our day and age, the more all these things come together to make for more clarity and understanding of God's plan for life, and earth.


http://www.anglotopia.net/british-history/fit-for-a-queen-10-interesting-facts-and-figures-about-windsor-castle-you-might-not-know/
The little town of Windsor surrounding the castle is ever so charming. I wish I would have had more time to browse the shops here.



On the train ride back, I met a family from Italy, so we visited a little. Actually, there were lots of people in London from Italy. I had also met two young boys on the morning train that were from Italy. Anyway, good to see Italians going abroad... my impression after living here in Italy for two years, is that they definitely need to 'broaden their horizons'! Sometimes, I feel like I've stepped back to 1950, which isn't such a bad thing either ☺. However, it is good for everyone to understand how things operate outside of a narrow sphere.... just saying.

Mariella was by this time feeling really sick, so she and Liliana stayed in London and did not go with me. Mariella did not do much on Saturday and by Sunday, she was in bed all day. I can relate. I remember how it was for me when I was in Ireland. All I wanted to do was sleep, so I felt really sorry for her, as she had to also miss the meeting on Sunday morning. On Saturday I had arrived back at my hotel late again, as usual, but still got up extra early to catch all the trains to Penge West on Sunday morning.  Cannot remember the name of the town, but Sonya and Adrian met me there and took me to the meeting. Again, it was a 3 hour train(s) commute to get there.


Sunday, April 3rd
Photos taken outside after church. I was unable to get a photo of everyone, but took these random shots outside afterward. London has a lot of young people living here. Many are students, many are just on visa's as is Joshua pictured facing the camera here. He is from Australia and gets to come work in England for two years. There is some sort of 'agreement' England and Australia have regarding this.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-13/australia-canada-nz-support-eu-style-free-movement-poll-says/7242634

Sonya and Adrian Barry on the far right. They also are originally from Australia, however, they moved and lived in Italy for a few years, before moving to London near Wimbledon. Got to see that while I was here too as we drove past it two or three times this day!

I spent the entire day with Sonya and Adrian. They prepared lunch, then we only had a short while until we were off again to the gospel meeting. We picked up Joshua along the way. He is such a nice young man... says he would like to come to visit Italy, so perhaps he will before he has to return to Australia. Got to see so many people this day, but my old brain can barely retain my own name much less all the new people I met. I did remember one name though, as she was in Italy last year at Petacciato... Heather! Also, my daughter's name, so I got lucky there ☺


I stayed with these lovely folks all day, and then about 8 pm, they took me to the subway station, and I proceeded to work my way back to my hotel with all my train changes. Another long day and late evening by the time I arrived back at the hotel. ☺  I will see these folks again in Italy in a few months.
Am I shrinking? I used to be tall!

Monday morning, up and at it again, meeting up with Liliana and Mariella. We had a bit of time together, then each wanted to do something different, so we agreed to meet up again at noon at a specific restaurant. 
The famous phone booths of London.


I caught the hop on / hop off bus this morning, to see as much as I possibly could. There are several lines, and it takes several hours to do them all, so I knew I wouldn't accomplish that, but was going to give it my best attempt to see as much as I could.  More photos this day, and again, bouts of rain and shine. I really like these tours, as they have live commentators and this is so helpful in understanding what you are seeing. Many of them have a great sense of humor too.




Financial district of London. Is it's own city in the heart of the city. Very impressive. Lots and lots of money here folks!
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London.  http://www.globalresearch.ca/money-laundering-and-the-city-of-londons-crime-scene-haven-of-tax-havens-for-the-mega-wealthy/5513335






My favorite place to pick up a sandwich. I did this a few times! Also, they have free wifi throughout the city, which came in very handy!

Not too sure that would be the pub to visit.... sounds very medieval and dangerous ☺
The London Eye is so large, that it can be seen from many places.

Scotland Yard

 My two favorite places to eat were side by side!!! Starbucks and Pret a Manger. Yum!









Cool how the buildings and street curve together



 Leicester Square


After this, I met up with Liliana and Mariella for lunch at a fish and chips joint; what London is supposedly known for. The fish was huge! but very tasty.
 Thanks Lili for these two photos

 We had planned to go up the London Eye together after this, however, Mariella still wasn't feeling up to doing much, so Liliana decided better to stay with her. Off I went to view the city from 'above'.

These photos were taken from the London Eye





















 The wheel moves so slowly, you barely perceive you are going up or down. Just as you get higher, you are able to see more and farther. Not an uncomfortable ride at all, and I am not the best 'heights' person. Was very nice indeed!

Now, a walk back across the bridge, and onto the subway to go to the IMAX where M, L & I will meet up again.

And 30 minutes later, I arrived at the Science Center IMAX, only to find out that is was closed for the day, so we did not get to see that. Mariella by this time was feeling 'really puny' so they headed toward her nephews, and I headed toward the home of Kate and William and Kensington Palace Gardens.

Royal Albert Hall.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Albert_Hall

 What a beautiful setting and gardens.
  https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/articles/kate-and-william-move-to-kensington-palace/ .  http://www.aviewoncities.com/london/kensingtongardens.htm


 Kensington Palace









Now that I arrived, I was not fortunate enough to get inside. My ticket said it was open until 6pm, and I arrived at about 5:30 / :45 and they informed me that to get in, you actually have to be there before 5pm and exit by 6pm. Oh well, I was really tired by this time and had had several long days, also, there is so much of London I still want to see, so will just come again, next time I am in London.


 What a beautiful park and setting to grow up in!

This was my final tour of London. By the time I walked a couple miles and then took the subways and trains back to the hotel, it was getting late again. I did find time to do a bit of shopping along the way late this evening, and especially glad to find this, as it had been requested by 'dear friends' in Bari and I wanted to take it to them if I could find any. I got lucky!



I didn't have an early flight, so not in a big panic this morning to get up, so felt good to rest a while and get packed without too much hurry, before I headed to the airport. Even so, no matter how short the flights are anymore, by the time you get all checked in, and through security and required time of minimum 1 to 2 hours ahead, then the boarding time, (leaving 45 minutes late too), the flight time, the hour time difference back to Bari, then the train ride from the Airport to the train station here in Bari, then a 20 minute walk back to my apartment, it all added up to a very long day. I arrived home about 10:45pm.

About the flight from London to Bari. As I stood in line to board the plane to Bari, I noticed a very distinct overall change, and in addition to that almost everyone was speaking Italian.

No one really goes to Bari, unless they live here, so unlike all my other flights, almost everyone on this flight was returning to Bari. And you could definitely tell it. They were very loud, and everyone doing their own thing. I have never experienced such chaos boarding and flying before. Even though there were assigned seats, everyone would just sit where ever they liked, and if someone came along and wanted to sit in their assigned seat, they and whoever they were wanting to sit beside, (sometimes four or five of them), would wonder off to another area and sit. The two rows across from me changed people six times!!! We were an additional 45 minutes just getting boarded and everyone in a seat! 

Then the Pilot and Air Hosts couldn't get people to stop talking long enough for them to make their announcements, so after repeating over and over for them to be quiet and listen (In Italian too!) they finally had to just shout. During the flight, they were asked to put their phones in flight mode, which many didn't know how to do, and so just turned them back on after the Air Host moved on down the aisle. They took their seat belts off and left them off, no matter how many times they were told to put them on. They sat with their knees under the arm rest and their feet in the aisles, and people were walking back and forth constantly, children running up and down the aisle. They even expected the Air Hosts with their food carts to let them pass!!! I could hardly believe it! Like a bunch of unruly kids! And the load talking never let up even once. 

I have often said, they do not like or obey rules here in Italy, and certainly their driving indicates this, but to have total disrespect on an airline flight, I felt, was just pushing it too far. One thing for them to do their 'own thing' here where they live, but to have total disregard for others was very childish and rude to say the least. When we landed, they all clapped and shouted and broke out into singing of their anthem. The pushing and shoving to get off the plane was ridiculous. Not that they aren't friendly, and will smile at you as they push you down practically, but for some reason, they have a mindset just for themselves. I see it all the time on the streets here in Bari... just expected better of them in 'public'. 

Anyway, I am back in Bari and have been having lots of company and entertaining a lot. Will hopefully post more about that later. ☺

All for this post. What a great way to celebrate my 63rd birthday. I enjoyed my time in London immensely! I want to go again and hopefully I will.





No comments:

Post a Comment