MAY 17 - 24, 2015 ITALY
Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre (Tour days 8 - 15)
Post 3 of 5 in 4 parts, each a separate post
Venice - Post 3.1 of 5 Florence - Post 3.2 of 5 Rome - Post 3.3 of 5 Cinque Terre - Post 3.4 of 5
May 17 - 18, 2015 ITALY
Venice
(Tour Days 8 - 9)
Post 3.1 of 5

Dolomites
As I have previously blogged and posted hundreds of pictures of Venezia, Firenze and Roma this last year, (also the Dolomites as I was there for two weeks at Christmas) I thought I would only post a few pictures of these places and focus this post of Italy on Cinque Terre as this was my first time being there.
As I have previously blogged and posted hundreds of pictures of Venezia, Firenze and Roma this last year, (also the Dolomites as I was there for two weeks at Christmas) I thought I would only post a few pictures of these places and focus this post of Italy on Cinque Terre as this was my first time being there.
However, as I started trying to sort pictures, I couldn't seem to find a stopping point, so because there are so many pictures, I have decided I would need to post each of the four cities in Italy as separate posts; all part of the Italy Post 3 of 5, so they will be:
Venice - Post 3.1 of 5 Florence - Post 3.2 of 5 Rome - Post 3.3 of 5 Cinque Terre - Post 3.4 of 5
I will not however, give as detailed of descriptions of these places where I have already been this last year and have posted in previous blogs. Mostly I will just be posting the pictures... they are beautiful without words :)
Sunday, May 17, 2015
Venice
(Tour Day 8)
Light Walking Day
Up early, had our second and last lovely buffet breakfast at the Alpenhotel and boarded the bus for an all day scenic drive through Northern Italy. I hope everyone thoroughly enjoyed this 'last breakfast feast for a week', because there will be no breakfast like that in Italy! You will get tiny cups of espresso and if you are lucky, a croissant or something similar.
The last of pictures of Austria, taken from the bus window, before we entered Italy. All these little huts you see here date back to when people had small plots of land and they would store their tools in these 'sheds'.
And here we are in the beautiful Dolomites! It was a very rainy, cloudy and overcast day as we motored along, so not the best or clearest pictures, however, it was still beautiful country in the Alp area. This is the area where I went for the Christmas Holidays in December last year. It looked so much different now without all the snow. It was just as beautiful with the snow as it is now. I really like this area.
We stopped to get a few pictures. Thank you Peter and Martin! Tim, Margaret, Ginette in blue
Now just motoring along, snapping shots out of the bus window.. you can see a bit of window glare in some of them... just try to overlook that :)
More pictures, taken from the bus windows as we motored along. I certainly would never had gotten very far if I could have stopped everywhere I would have liked to get pictures, so had to content myself with lots of window shots, to the amusement of my fellow tour/bus travelers... they were sure these wouldn't turn our very good, and although, they are not as great as I would like, they are not bad. In addition, I am still using my phone camera which doesn't take the best pictures. Can't wait to get a camera!
Ben & Eva, Val & Tina above, John & Kathy below
Okay, back on the bus and me just snapping away, getting as many pictures of this beautiful area as I can from the bus windows. At least the weather has cleared up and now the sun is shining and the sky is beautiful.
When I first left Italy to start this tour, I was feeling like I needed to 'get away' for awhile and when I arrived in Amsterdam, it felt so good to be with 'my type' of people again. However, something strange happened when we entered Italy this morning... I felt like I was coming home and it almost made me cry. In just one week of being away, I was already missing all my Italian friends and my 'new way of life'. I actually was happy to have experience this, as it made me glad to return here after the tour.
A lot of window glare on this one, but the scene was so pretty, I put it in anyway.
And now we arrived at our lunch stop. A cute little Tirolean village in Northern Italy, called Egna near Bolzano. A town where they speak several languages, however both German and Italian are the most common. It was quiet here this day and hardly anyone out and about, because it is Sunday and all the shops close on Sundays in Italy. Sunday is church and family day here.
However, there was a restaurant prepared ahead of time for us to have a place to eat. And you guessed it... the typical processed/raw type meat for sandwiches, thick bread and scrawny cheese slices. Italians know how to 'cook', and make fantastic pasta or fish meals, however, when it comes to 'quick' or sandwich type lunches, they don't have a clue. I have experienced this for a year now, so hence, I was not surprised by our lunch. After lunch, we got two scoops of Gelato... that was yummy! Patrick, Martin & Vannie in this picture.
And then we were rolling on toward Venice. Certainly no crowding on the bus with four seat to each person! And Peter kept bags over the arm rests for our trash, which he then emptied EVERY time we stopped. He was very meticulous about keeping the bus clean.
Up early, had our second and last lovely buffet breakfast at the Alpenhotel and boarded the bus for an all day scenic drive through Northern Italy. I hope everyone thoroughly enjoyed this 'last breakfast feast for a week', because there will be no breakfast like that in Italy! You will get tiny cups of espresso and if you are lucky, a croissant or something similar.
The last of pictures of Austria, taken from the bus window, before we entered Italy. All these little huts you see here date back to when people had small plots of land and they would store their tools in these 'sheds'.
And here we are in the beautiful Dolomites! It was a very rainy, cloudy and overcast day as we motored along, so not the best or clearest pictures, however, it was still beautiful country in the Alp area. This is the area where I went for the Christmas Holidays in December last year. It looked so much different now without all the snow. It was just as beautiful with the snow as it is now. I really like this area.
We stopped to get a few pictures. Thank you Peter and Martin! Tim, Margaret, Ginette in blue
Now just motoring along, snapping shots out of the bus window.. you can see a bit of window glare in some of them... just try to overlook that :)
More pictures, taken from the bus windows as we motored along. I certainly would never had gotten very far if I could have stopped everywhere I would have liked to get pictures, so had to content myself with lots of window shots, to the amusement of my fellow tour/bus travelers... they were sure these wouldn't turn our very good, and although, they are not as great as I would like, they are not bad. In addition, I am still using my phone camera which doesn't take the best pictures. Can't wait to get a camera!
Then we stopped for our usual morning break and Peter's 'stop driving' time, at a McDonald's of all places!!! However, you have never seen a McDonald's like this before, and especially with these views!!
Jim & Lynn and GregBen & Eva, Val & Tina above, John & Kathy below
The following four pictures were taken from the windows of this "Micky D's". Now, if I had this view, perhaps I would start going to McDonald's too!! Spectacular view... wish the pictures would have been a bit better, and taking them through these windows didn't help, however, you get the idea...
(I can't wait to get my camera back... this phone just doesn't take nearly as good of pictures. You saw the ones of the Kuekenhof Gardens taken with my 'old camera'... they were awesome... boo hoo, I want my camera... boo hoo)
The rain has stopped and it is turning into a gorgeous sunny day!Okay, back on the bus and me just snapping away, getting as many pictures of this beautiful area as I can from the bus windows. At least the weather has cleared up and now the sun is shining and the sky is beautiful.
When I first left Italy to start this tour, I was feeling like I needed to 'get away' for awhile and when I arrived in Amsterdam, it felt so good to be with 'my type' of people again. However, something strange happened when we entered Italy this morning... I felt like I was coming home and it almost made me cry. In just one week of being away, I was already missing all my Italian friends and my 'new way of life'. I actually was happy to have experience this, as it made me glad to return here after the tour.
A lot of window glare on this one, but the scene was so pretty, I put it in anyway.
Starting to see road signs that look familiar... been here done that :) Zoomed the phone/camera all the way to the front of the bus to get this picture out of the front window... not bad considering all those factors :)
PP's pic
After lunch, several of us wanted to go use a cash machine, so we wandered through this central area and located one. I actually got to use my Italian a little, in helping a few use the cash machine. I made the statement on the first day that our group came together in Haarlem, that although I was studying the Italian language, in no way could they count on me to do any translating for them, as I am really just beginning to understand it myself. Anyway, as it turned out, I was able to use a little of my 'new' language skills during the course of this week in Italy... but the key word here is 'a little'... a very little !! I could understand much for myself, however, at no time were we somewhere that someone didn't speak English. I have found this to be true this whole year that I have been in Italy. Very few times was I completely without communication. And the times I was, well, sign language is universal :)
Elaine
Our walk back to the bus was through this very beautiful covered walkway. We all got on the bus and I got to use the "Buddy" check system for real! Martin thought everyone was on and we were ready to roll, however, my buddy Duncan was not there, so I informed Martin and he went searching for him. Anyway, wherever he had wandered off to, Martin 'found the lost one' and brought him home... well to the bus anyway.
And now Venice!!! we have arrived! We had a hotel right in the heart of Venice, so Peter took us in on the bus, then there is a special place where the buses all park. Also the bus would not be accessible, so anything we needed we made sure we had with us. We walked with our bags from there to the vaporetto boat for a Grand Canal ride that would take us into the vicinity of our hotel.
A few days prior, Martin had suggested to us that there would be lots of walking up steps, over bridges, in and out of boats, etc. in Venice, so it would be prudent to Not bring a roller bag, and to take a smaller suitcase or bag with just what we would need for two days while we were in Venice. So since we had ample notice, some purchased additional smaller bag in Rothenburg and elsewhere. I have always brought on trips a folding small bag, that I keep in my suitcase... never know when you will need and extra bag to bring home all those souvenirs :)... so I was set.
Now, the evening before we left Austria, Martin reminded us, that now was the time to pack light for Venice. Peter would place the bags we didn't need in the storage under the bus, so that is what we did. Sound advice it was too! As we were 'marching' along in high gear, we observed many other travelers who had not done this and were struggling up those stairs, etc., and we were mentally giving ourselves pats on the back for being so 'smart'.
And we have arrived at our hotel Serenissima
The lobby
The view from my room into this cool old courtyard. I did not get a picture of the room itself... it was so small, I couldn't get back far enough to take one :) and it only had a narrow single bed in it and one tiny window. But I will say, it had Air Conditioning and I was really thankful for that! Was plenty warm in Venice. We had some cold and rainy days before, but certainly got warmed up now.
We had been on the bus for about 7 hours now, and were ready to get out and do something. As soon as everyone got settled into their rooms, we all met at Piazza S. Marco then ventured out for an orientation stroll of the alleys and canals.
Piazza San Marco
Ahhh, the musicians. Wish we could have just stayed here and listened for a while, but it had been a long day and was getting close to dinner time, so we wandered on toward our restaurant for a group dinner this evening.
The Grand Canal
Only a partial view of the Rialto Bridge and only from this side. Half of the other side was covered. I was really sorry we were unable to get a good picture this time. It is partially closed for a $5million restoration. Everywhere I go in Italy, there is always something being restored... this is what happens when all the buildings are this ancient! Could only get a picture of the one side this year.
Rialto Bridge, I took this picture in October 2014
Vannie, Duncan, Tim & Kristi, Eva & Ben, Martin standing at end of table. Two full tables of us
After dinner, everyone wandered off in their own directions, hoping they could find their way back to the hotel. This is why we had the orientation tour first, (these alleys and canals branch off in all directions and with the canals, it is easy to get disoriented) however, after much wine at dinner, it was a good guess who would wander around the city longer than they intended :) Actually the next day I heard about this actually happening, but no names mentioned here ... you know who you are :)
Venice
(Tour Day 9)
Moderate Walking Day
Side note: On this day, I was remembering this date 35 years ago, May 18, 1980 when Mt St Helens erupted in Washington and even to this day, we are still dealing with the ash that fell on us that day. A day I will never forget. My three small girls and I were at church and barely arrived home before it turned pitch black around noon and stayed that way for hours as the ash continued to fall and totally blocked out the sun.
Side note: On this day, I was remembering this date 35 years ago, May 18, 1980 when Mt St Helens erupted in Washington and even to this day, we are still dealing with the ash that fell on us that day. A day I will never forget. My three small girls and I were at church and barely arrived home before it turned pitch black around noon and stayed that way for hours as the ash continued to fall and totally blocked out the sun.
Now, back to Venice: Next morning we met up with our very colorful and very 'Italian' tour guide, Elisabetta Amadi. Born in Venice, she has been entertaining and informing visitors about the sights, culture and traditions of Italy for over 14 years, however, she does not live in Venice, but one of the other islands and takes the train in each day to do these tours.
In the days earlier, as our tour group traveled along, several had asked me about what Italy and Italians were like, and Elisabetta embodied everything I had tried to explain to them; how they talk, how they look and dress and mostly how they speak and interact!! Well, experiencing is understanding! They got to see all of this, in just this one tiny woman :)
Here is an example: Martin put on a bit of a 'show' as we gathered in front of our hotel at the start of
our tour this day and she 'cut him right down to size' with just a few short words, "you've had your time, now quit posturing, this is now my stage" !!! Further during our tour, when he asked a question, she again 'put him in his place' by saying, "if you had been listening.... I just covered that". Wowzers... these Italians are spitfires! I have been seeing this side of Italians for a year now, and it actually has become quite humorous to me. When I first came, I thought they were 'mad' or worse, but I came to understand, this is just the way they talk and interact. And usually at a very loud voice range too!
If you want to know more about this spiral tower, look up Scala Contarini del Bovolo. It is one of the most famous staircases in Venice.

Elisabetta then took us to a shop where they made masks, and we were given a demonstration and a history lesson on what type of masks were used and for what type of occasions. Now this was something I hadn't seen before, and it was very informational. However, all 29 of us (including Martin, Elisabetta and the artist) were crowded into this one small shop and it got very hot by the time this demonstration was finished.
Elisabetta wearing a 'fancy' one
Tim was selected to wear all the different masks for the demonstration. Amazing how you couldn't ever recognize him when he had the masks on. :) Martin having a rest.
This mask was actually designed with this bird-like beak for the doctors and often filled with lavender or dried flowers, or herbs, spices, camphor, or even a vinegar filled sponge. The mask had two small nose holes and was used like a type of respirator. The purpose of the mask was to keep away bad smells and germs. Doctors believed the herbs would counter the "evil" smells of the plague and prevent them from becoming infected.
Credit to Wayne/Ginette for this picture. See how intently I was watching... getting 'smartened' up!!
When we were finished, we could step outside and across the way and purchase one.... hmmm... nice sales pitch :)
These gold mosaics really sparkled when they turned the lights on. They only turn the lights on at certain times. We were fortunate to get in at this time to see it.
After this, I wanted to go to the islands of Murano and Burano. Some had expressed an interest in going as well, so I agreed they could tag along with me. However, there was a bit of a mix up in how many wanted to go and then we ended up with additional people, but at that time our original group was ready to leave, but now felt we needed to wait for the extras to return, so didn't get off this island as soon as we had hoped.
Originally, since we were at St. Mark's, and there was a place to board the boat just around the corner here, I figured we would just catch the boat there. This would take us about half an hour by water to go around the island and see it from the water side, or we could walk about half an hour to the other side and catch the boat there; it was a wash. However, if I had known we were going to be waiting an additional hour, I would have walked to the other side for sure. At this dock, we were not able to board the first boat that arrived, as it was full, so had to wait about half hour for the next one. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, we were about 1.5 hours later than I had anticipated in getting to the other islands.
However, we still had plenty of time, just had to hurry along a little quicker and make sure we returned by 8pm as we had a Gondola ride scheduled at that time.
Venice seen from the water
There were some in my price range too. Every kind and style you could possibly think of. This is just a small sampling.
And of course two of my favorite buildings on Murano. I don't know what captures my attention about these, perhaps the very detailed windows, and the green shutters, but whatever it is, I always have to take a picture of them when I come.
Now, I was on a mission. I grabbed a quick slice of pizza, and then started my search. When I was here on Murano last October, I had seen a shop that had beautiful silk scarves very inexpensive, and I really wanted one then, but didn't buy one at that time and regretted it ever since. This time I was hoping to find the shop and I did. I am now the proud owner of a very beautiful silk scarf. One more thing to add to my ever expanding luggage. :)
After that, I had a drink at this outdoor cafe which was close to the boat launch that would take me to the other Island of Burano that I wanted to go to.
Also, for a very specific reason... tell you soon, but first ...
Arriving in Burano, there is a very nice park right at the boat launch. A great place to relax. I don't like crowds and I really dislike crowded sidewalks and shops. Venice is such a busy island and people milling everywhere is why I love these smaller islands.
Shops, shops and more shops of lace. Most of these are designed by local artists and they have their shops here on the island. In addition to the outfit I bought, I was looking for a couple of white tops. I found exactly what I was looking for. One I saw and purchased and it was perfect, however, the other one was at a different shop and I wasn't sure if I really needed that particular one. When the shopkeeper (she was also the designer) tried to determine just exactly what I was looking for, she brought out one, then held it up and started stretching it side ways, and other ways, and saying, "see, you can eat spaghetti, and linguine and bruschetta and mozzarella and pepperoni...". I laughed out loud and so did she. By the way, she was about my size, so she knew I would get the joke. Anyway, I did in fact buy it!! Good sales pitch !
And then as I said, the most colorful Island of them all. Just look at all these colored houses. Unlike Venice all brown and drab and falling down, these are all fairly well maintained and painted so colorful. They are all small and set very close together and the canals are small as well. I had a fabulous time taking pictures here. This just made me so cheery! I am smiling even as I look at these pictures again.
Even the vegetable seemed more colorful!
And now I am back on Venice and it is about 7pm.
Time for a quick bite and a shower and head to Piazza S. Marco to meet up with the others for our Gondola ride.
Ed & Elaine, Tim & Kriste and me
Me.
For once I didn't feel like a 3rd wheel... I was a 5th wheel!!...
I always Wanted one of those... never thought about Being one however :)
For once I didn't feel like a 3rd wheel... I was a 5th wheel!!...
I always Wanted one of those... never thought about Being one however :)
Credit to Wayne/Ginette for this picture
Mike & Judy, Ben & Eva, Duncan
Mike & Judy, Ben & Eva, Duncan
Mike & Judy, Ben & Eva
Greg & Margaret. Margaret had the nicest blouses. I really wanted to buy them from her! since I can't get ones like this here in Italy. Too bad she needed them for the rest of her journey... :)
We were five boats and they maneuvered them all close together, as we were accompanied by live music. A guitar and a singer. Also, this made it easy for me to get good pictures of everyone.Since it was Wayne and Ginette's 25th anniversary (above) while they were on this tour and John and Kathy's too, I think, or because they were married 38 years .. anyway, they were on the boat with the entertainers. We circled closed enough that all could hear the music and it was wonderful. Actually, I think everyone on both banks of the canal could hear the music :)
Ben & Eva, and Duncan

Patrick getting his musical 'fix' with the entertainers.
I will have to give it a proper memorial when I arrive home with this Eulogy/Epitaph:
The best small camera I ever had,
Only took great pictures; never bad.
It's gone from my life, leaving me sad,
With a final home, in a bag called 'Glad' !

Patrick getting his musical 'fix' with the entertainers.
After this, we all went for something to drink on our last night in Venice. Several stayed out rather late, but a few of us all headed for the hotel for a good rest, as the next day we were back on the road. But I had one last thing to do this night.... put my NEW phone on the charger!!!
Finally, just before noon today, I found a camera shop in Venice and it was open! Yes, they had a battery for my old camera. No, it did not fix the problem :( Going to miss my faithful friend and constant companion. For such a small camera, it took such awesome pictures. Sooooo I had to purchase another one.
I really don't like these kind of hurried purchases where I don't have time to do any research, etc., however, I really needed a camera, since I have not had one since the day before the tour began. My camera packed it in on Saturday, May 9th at 2:17pm, while I was in the Kuekenhof Gardens in Amsterdam. My pictures were date and time stamped, so in essence, it created a record of it's own final demise. That is the last picture it ever took, shutter click #178,404
I will have to give it a proper memorial when I arrive home with this Eulogy/Epitaph:
The best small camera I ever had,
Only took great pictures; never bad.
It's gone from my life, leaving me sad,
With a final home, in a bag called 'Glad' !
I already have another great camera at home (just didn't bring it with me), so I purchased an inexpensive (but not cheap) small camera, Sony Zeiss, 20.1 8x zoom. Not cheap because this was Venice! I paid more than it would normally have cost.
Anyway, the real test comes when I view the first pictures, which I took tonight on the Gondola ride. I had a few minutes to charge the battery a little, as I was showering and changing before joining the group. Another important feature... it has a camera strap! My worst fear the whole time I have been using my phone for a camera was that I would drop it in the 'drink', especially here in Venice. Sooo glad that fear never materialized.
Buonanotte Venezia. You may be old and very run down, however, you have a beauty and charm all your own. Certainly one of the most unique places to see.
Anyway, the real test comes when I view the first pictures, which I took tonight on the Gondola ride. I had a few minutes to charge the battery a little, as I was showering and changing before joining the group. Another important feature... it has a camera strap! My worst fear the whole time I have been using my phone for a camera was that I would drop it in the 'drink', especially here in Venice. Sooo glad that fear never materialized.
Buonanotte Venezia. You may be old and very run down, however, you have a beauty and charm all your own. Certainly one of the most unique places to see.























































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment