Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

May 21 - 22, 2015 ITALY - Rome (Tour days 12 - 13) Post 3.3 of 5


Roman Forum
MAY 17 - 24, 2015 ITALY 
Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre (Tour days 8 - 15) 
Post 3 of 5 in 4 parts, each a separate post
Venice - Post 3.1 of 5  Florence - Post 3.2 of 5  Rome - Post 3.3 of 5  Cinque Terre - Post 3.4 of 5


May 21 - 22, 2015  ITALY
Rome
(Tour Days 12 - 13)
Post 3.3 of 5


Thursday, May 21, 2015
Rome
(Tour Day 12)
Strenuous Walking Day

Certainly not letting any grass grow under our feet.  On the road and heading to Rome.

But what a beautiful drive it is.  Love this scenery.

I have ridden the train through this part of the country a few times and the beauty of it always impresses me.




Now I don't remember exactly what happened on this gorgeous sunny day, whether it was road construction, just heavy traffic, or what, however, as we neared Rome, we were definitely running late and we were suppose to meet out guide at 1pm.  This was our guide. 

At first, Martin thought to just have us leave our bags on the bus and go directly to the Colosseum, however, he was able to make some phone calls and postpone our start time a little, so we were able to take our bags and get checked-in at the hotel first.  

 However, this was going to require some speedy work, considering this particular set of challenges.  Let me explain:

First, Peter had to stop the bus some distance from the hotel and he quickly unloaded our bags, then we hustled along, all dragging our bags for quite some distance.

Now you can see, as the sign points out, that we have a lift.  However, the elevator could only accommodate one person. Also bear in mind, normally we would just hoof it up the stairs, with all our bags, but to reach this Hotel on the 4th Floor, we actually had to climb 138 steps (I counted) ! 

While we were still on the bus, Martin had recruited 'three stout men' (Tim, Pat & Ken, if I remember right). One person would go on the elevator and ride up and down with the luggage. One would be at the bottom handing the luggage to the man stacking it on the elevator, then one would be at the top to help take the luggage off. I don't know how many trips they had to make, but definitely more than one. The rest of us took off hoofing it up the stairs.
The Lift
And my room... well let's just say, it was very very ancient like the rest of Rome... falling apart, falling down, and I had to get in the bed from the end, it was so close to the walls.  The sink in the bathroom I was almost afraid to use, it was hanging loose from the wall.  And I didn't dare open the curtains... they looked like they might collapse into a heap of dust if I touched them.  Bed was comfortable though.  Other than a shower, a bed is really all I needed, plus I got great exercise getting to the room!!

A time was set for us to catch our breath, then to meet up again on the walk in front of the hotel.  From there, we hiked over to the Metro and took it to the Colosseum, where we met up with our guide, and all was well and right with the world again... well, with us anyway :)


The Colosseum.  What can I say that I haven't said in my blog posts before?
I will say this, though, the tour guide tried to help us get a "new perspective" of why these ancient Romans had what we consider in our lifetime as barbaric entertainment.  One thing she mentioned is that unlike our Media today, they did not have such a thing. No newspapers, no TV, Radios, Computers, and definitely no cameras to capture images to show others.  She mentioned, when they would bring these lions and other wild animals here, it was something many had never seen before, therefore, everyone wanted to come and see and be entertained.  As to the whole fighting and killing thing, though, I am still not convinced of her "new perspective", especially the killing of Christians.  There is something evil in man's nature, that if we don't have social guidelines and civilized influences, it seems to come forth.  Hard for us to comprehend this in our modern day society, however, we are even seeing some in our day... look at ISIS
Christianity, at this time in history, was illegal and to practice it, it had to be done in secret. The Christians were either rounded up by the non-Christian Jews or the vicious and cruel emperors and Romans. Emperor Nero introduced evening executions where Christians were nailed to the cross and burned alive as torches to light the arena of the Colosseum or the Christians were fed to the lions and other wild animals.  They called this entertainment.  So no amount of "trying to understand this with NEW thinking" as suggested by our guide, was going to make my mind accept this Evil and Cruel history.
Now on to something different...  our guide shared that everything in the Colosseum had at one time been totally marble covered.  That would have been a sight to see!!  Over the centuries, though, almost all of it has been removed and reused to build other buildings. 

Well this was a 'selfie' miss, however, maybe not... at least you can't see all my chins !
So I asked Mr Ken.  I said I was tired of taking 'selfies' would he please take one.  He said sure....
ha ha Ken, really :)
  
Finally!!  Actually, this picture is very special to me for an entirely different reason.  Exactly one year ago on May 13, 2014 my daughter, Carissa and I stood near this same spot and had a photo together.  Another one of those special memories.  When I moved to Italy, I came on a cruise ship, and she came with me.  This is where we disembarked on May 12th after having been together on the cruise for 18 days.  We spent an additional two days here together, then she would fly back to America and I would start a new chapter of my life and stay here in Italy. That was probably the hardest goodbye I have had to say for a while.  Now as I stand here almost exactly one year later, I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone.  Also, how much I have enjoyed and embraced my new life here in Italy.






Now down this path to the Roman Forum. It looks a bit like the path of life doesn't it? Rough and bumpy, but still traversable... and showing the rough edges smoothed off a bit the more used and the older it gets...

I had not toured here before, so all of this was new for me.  It was very interesting, as you can probably tell by the number of photos I took here as compared to the Colosseum. :)

I highly recommend this tour if anyone is coming to Italy. There is just an enormous amount of information that could be shared about this, however, I will post only a few comments. Our guide was very good and gave us a great informative tour. For centuries it was the center of Roman public life. This was Julius Caesar's  old stomping grounds. It is also where he was assassinated and publicly burned.  All the names we studied and knew of ancient Rome... this is the place!  There is just so much history here and so many centuries, it is almost impossible to put a description on these pictures. Which century / generation do you want to talk about??  Anyway, definitely worth seeing and recommend going with a guide, otherwise, it is just a pile of old marble remains.








Every time I go to places like this and take pictures, I always have lots of people in them.  Really nice this time, I actually know who these people are!!  

I can see the top of Ben's new hat in this photo ;)


Our guide told us that before they started excavating here, the dirt was all the way up to the bottom of the green door you see here on the front of the building.  That was actually the ground level.  
Amazing how the earth will reclaim everything that we don't attend to.



That group sure wouldn't get lost from each other, with all those red hats!




Doing what tourists do!  Taking pictures ;)





















Something else our guide pointed out,  Notice the ancient building on the lower level.  They never dig up or tear anything down, just kept adding new levels on top.










It was mentioned, that anytime someone tries to dig down into the earth around Rome here to start any type of a building project, they don't get very far before they dig into ancient ruins of some kind. Then of course, all digging must stop and it becomes a historical site.

Bronze Horse Statue of the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius on the Capitol Hill by Michelangelo.

Now, there are some stairs!



Crossing the streets... now that was a new experience for most everyone.  You group up, stand there for a minute so cars can see you, then just step out and go. The traffic will stop!  However, make sure there are no stragglers, and make sure you keep the same pace, because drivers are assuming you will keep moving, and if you stop or slow down, you will probably will get run over!
Three ages of buildings in these 2 photos.  Very Very Ancient, Ancient and Modern Day!  You can see the old ancient ruin, part of Capital Hill in the lower part of the picture. 
The white building that you can only see the side is Vittoriano monument. Many people do not like this building and call it a monstrosity. It destroyed part of the hill of Ancient Rome (Roman Forum). It is a relatively new building , only built around 1885 or so. On our tour we crossed the street on the side of it as shown here, and some were wishing they could have gotten to see it from the front, so I am posting this picture I took last October when I was there for you to see


Piazza della Minerva.  The only elephant in Rome with an obelisk on it's back :)...   Oh, yeah, the only obelisk in Rome supported on an elephant's back. Obelisk's are very popular here !  And directly behind this obelisk is the back side of the Pantheon.

The Pantheon
Now I must write something about the Pantheon. It is one of the most fascinating buildings to me. Perhaps because it dates all the way back to Jesus time on earth. The first building here was built during Marcus Agrippa's time during the reign of King Augustus, right about the time Jesus was crucified. Agrippa's original inscription is still on the building.  

It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings and has been in continuous use throughout history.  Since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a tomb, with many well known painters, composers and architects like Raphael and Brunelleschi, buried here. Also, more recently, two kings of Italy are buried in the Pantheon: Vittorio Emanuele II and Umberto I, as well as Umberto's Queen, Margherita. 

The Pantheon is now in use as a Catholic church, and also people use it as a place to have their weddings.

From the sides


Augustus Caesar's actions in Rome started a chain of events that governed the circumstances of Christ's birth in Bethlehem. There was also set in motion a chain of events in Rome that led to the death of Christ in Jerusalem. I will post the link here about this period of history... it is a great read.  http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/hutchison/061221



The dome is made of concrete and weighs approx. 5000 tons.  It is still the largest unreinforced concrete dome in the world. 

I have actually been here before, but was never inside, because it was too dark.  Why do I say because it was too dark? There is no artificial light in here. The entrance door, and this hole in the roof are all that provides the light. Notice how the sun shining through this hole also acts as a sundial.

The holes (picture below) in the marble floor and a drainage system underneath, is for the water to drain away when it rains. The inside is incredible considering that is has been open to the elements all these centuries.  (I didn't know which way to turn this picture so it make the most sense) duhhhh


A very stark contrast the appearance of the outside of this building and the inside!

Then I walked around and took pictures down the other side.

From the back and other side

In the walls at the back of the Pantheon are these niches where statues of Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, and Agrippa, etc. used to be.





The columns are of grey granite and were quarried in Egypt. Each is 39 feet tall, 5 feet in diameter and weighs 60 tons. These were dragged more than 60 miles from the quarry to the river on wooden sledges. They were floated by barge down the Nile River when the water level was high during the spring floods, and then transferred to boats to cross the Mediterranean Sea. Then they were transferred onto barges and pulled up the Tiber River to Rome. After being unloaded they then had to either drag or move them on rollers for about a half a mile.

Incredible to think of the size and weight of these and shipping them without modern day equipment to load and unload them and to set them in place. And as you can see, there were lots of them!  We think we are so skilled... we know nothing compared to these ancient Romans.  Amazing!

Piazza della Rotonda in front of the Pantheon.  Many concerts are held in this square.

After this, we headed out for a group dinner at a small authentic Roman cafe, where it appears many on Rick Steve's tours have gone before. As we were having dinner, in fact, another group came in. I will have to say, we have eaten at some really great places, however, this was not one of them. It was not my favorite place to eat, especially for a large group, as it was very crowded, cramped and noisy. However, the food and service were great.

After dinner, we headed out for a night walk around the city, about 2 miles (I think or maybe it was 4) back to our hotel.  Anyway, doesn't matter, it was such a lovely evening and beautiful things to see, was well worth the walk. I had made this walk last October with friends and loved it. I think four people took a taxi back to the Hotel, but everyone else was eager to walk around.  
The Pantheon at night.

In the square
The fountains


Credit to Patrick P for this picture



Then we went to the Trevi Fountains. Unfortunately it is drained of all water, and fenced off... closed for restoration.

Here is a picture I took there last year (2014 when Carissa and I went)

Then it was here, just across the street we had a late night gelato.  Now off to the hotel for some much needed rest, as we have another long day tomorrow. 



Friday, May 22, 2015
Rome
(Tour Day 13)
Strenuous Walking Day

Today, we tour the Vatican Museum, St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel, so up and at it early again and walked to the Metro for our ride. I just loved the detailed instructions Martin gave every time we caught the train. He wanted to make sure and not lose anyone, and it worked!  Of course, I have been hopping these trains for a year now, so for me was no problem, however, if this had been my first time, (like last year!) it would have been wonderful to have a 'Martin' to make sure of every detail. Patrick & Vannie and Christina here holding on...(PP credit for this picture)

Here is where we came up out of the Metro. It was at the top of this, only at a different stop, where I met Danny at noon, but that story coming later..

Another thing that is really nice about tour groups, there is no waiting in line! We always get to march right in!
And we're in!
Kriste.  Oh, the dome... well that is Michelangelo's magnificent dome of St. Peter's Basilica

Carried that water bottle everywhere. Drinking lots of water gives me energy.

The garden at the Museum. Okay, no more descriptions for a while. I posted a lot of these same pictures in previous blogs, so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves. Actually, I am surprised I was able to get many pictures inside. I have never seen it so crowded. Literally, almost without exaggeration, if my arms had not been above my head taking pictures, they would have been pinned to my sides by the throngs and throngs and masses and masses of people. What? everyone waited until we got here to come too?? Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but that is how it felt!

The Pope has declared next year, 2016, a Jubilee of Mercy year, so if the crowds were this bad now, it will be impossible next year. Here's a heads up people, if you are coming to Italy next year and want to see anything in or around Rome, you might want to postpone your trip a year or two. Just saying, I sure won't be there!  

Too bad, daughter of mine, that you already have your trip booked here for 2016; I doubt you will want to brave the madhouse Rome is certain to be.





































Okay, I'll write something here. This is the first time I've seen these particular ones (the next nine photos) 

The Borgia Apartments, downstairs from the Raphael Rooms, were painted by Pinturicchio and occupied by the infamous Spanish Borgia pope Alexander VI (you know: that devilish guy played by Jeremy Irons in the Borgias TV series).

This apartment was closed off by Julius II, who refused to live in rooms sullied by his predecessor, so he had these covered up with black cloth. It was like this for 386 years, until the apartments were reopened in 1889 as display rooms for the Vatican's collection of modern religious art. When they reopened, the Vatican also finally uncovered the walls and ceilings. They are not your typical ones. Many of them are embedded with fake jewels and things like metal saddle studs instead of painting these details in. A bit of  Renaissance 3D!!  hee hee









It was just after this last ceiling photo that we entered the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo's masterpiece, however, they told us he was forced to paint it, since he was a sculptor, not an artist. Anyway, you cannot talk or take pictures in there, so you will just have to take my word for it... oh or you can look at official pictures that 'someone' has taken.... but it is amazing! Last time I was here, I don't remember the colors being so vibrant, however, this day, they really 'popped' ... maybe the collection plate went around an extra time and someone turned the lights on. Or maybe, I have new glasses!!  Anyway, I really appreciated it more this time... saw it with fresh eyes. :)  Truly spec tac u lar as my friend Augusto, from Vicchio, would say.
Entering St. Peter's down the very ramp/stairs the Pope uses when he enters.
Standing on the steps of St Peters.  And here is where I 'bolted', turning and snapping pictures as I ran... well walked really fast, as I can't exactly run... there would be a picture worth a thousand words for sure!





I had made arrangements to meet Danny for lunch this day and I needed to catch the Metro to where he was. Now the Metro was about a 20 minute walk at full tilt, then down the stairs, catch the Metro, then 15 minute ride to where Danny was, race up the stairs, and he had just entered the Metro at the top of the steps, (that very long escalator you saw in that earlier picture). Perfect timing! Anyway, we scurried over to an outdoor restaurant and had a very pleasant lunch and visit. I had just met his grandmother in Amsterdam about 11 days ago, so was great to meet up and have a wonderful visit. Danny has been living in Rome this year, and he was down to Bari in April and we had a couple of lunches together then too. Anyway, we had to make a brief lunch of it this time, as neither of us had a lot of time today. He was leaving for Germany this afternoon and I needed to get back to 'touring' :)  
My good buddy Danny



During our lunch, a bit of a rain storm came up and by the time I got off the Metro back down here, which is close to our hotel, it was dumping buckets! So I hung out here for about an hour and had a coffee and a sweet. Not a bad place to have to wait out a storm. I love watching rain storms anyway, so was a great place to watch it from.  

I also finally bought an umbrella here. They practically shove them into your hand they are so eager to sell them. Anyway, one man offered me one for $5 Euro and I declined, and the guy coming up the steps behind him offered me two for $5, so I bought one of his for $2.50. Last year when Carissa and I were here, I had bought two, and those two lasted me all year until this spring and the wind was so bad a couple of days in Bari, that it shredded both of them in one month. I have a great big one, but did not have a travel size, so that is how it came to be that I did not take an umbrella with me. But now I have one!
We were on our own for dinner this evening, so I went to a little restaurant near our hotel. As I was sitting there, a mother and daughter came in and were seated at the table next to me. I struck up a conversation with them. They were from Missouri and were traveling to Italy to visit, just like my daughter and I did last year.  

Made me very nostalgic, especially to remember our last dinner together here in Rome before Carissa flew home. After dinner, we were wandering through Vatican City that night, walking back to our hotel, laughing and having a great time. What a great way to finish a wonderful three weeks we had had together and our last evening in Rome. The next afternoon we went to the Airport hotel, for her early morning flight back to the USA. Interesting how so many times during these last few days, when visiting these places again, that so many memories come flooding back. Can't wait for their visit here again next year, with the whole family and also a sister-n-law is coming.  Really looking forward to that!  

Now, this will wrap it up for Rome. Next stop Cinque Terre!!!  Been looking forward to this since the first day of the tour! I have never been there, but have wanted to go every since I arrived here in Italy, just had never worked out until now. So Ancient City we leave you to your own ruin....  read anything you want to into that... it probably IS what I meant ☺


Side Note:
The Bible does not say how the apostle Paul died. Writing in 2 Timothy 4:6–8, Paul seems to be anticipating his soon demise: “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.”

Second Timothy was written during Paul’s second Roman imprisonment in AD 64—67. There are a few different Christian traditions in regards to how Paul died, but the most commonly accepted one comes from the writings of Eusebius, an early church historian. Eusebius claimed that Paul was beheaded at the order of the Roman emperor Nero or one of his subordinates. Paul’s martyrdom occurred shortly after much of Rome burned in a fire—an event that Nero blamed on the Christians.

It is possible that the apostle Peter was martyred around the same time, during this period of early persecution of Christians. The tradition is that Peter was crucified upside down and that Paul was beheaded due to the fact that Paul was a Roman citizen (Acts 22:28), and Roman citizens were normally exempt from crucifixion.

The accuracy of this tradition is impossible to gauge. Again, the Bible does not record how Paul died, so there is no way to be certain regarding the circumstances of his death. But, from all indications, he died for his faith. We know he was ready to die for Christ (Acts 21:13), and Jesus had predicted that Paul would suffer much for the name of Christ (Acts 9:16). Based on what the Book of Acts records of Paul’s life, we can assume he died declaring the gospel of Christ, spending his last breath as a witness to the truth that sets men free (John 8:32).

No comments:

Post a Comment