Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

January, February and March 1-20, 2016 A New Year

January, February and March 1-20, 2016  A New Year...

And a New style of blog post. Unless I am doing something very specific or different than my daily routine, I will only post generally.  




January 9, 2016
Bari, Metropolitan City of Bari
Saturday 4:00 PM
Mostly Sunny
69°F | 21°C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 7 mph
After leaving snow and cold in USA, have loved being back here in Bari where it is nice and warm!

When I was in the USA, I had dinner and time together with these folks, who said they had been to Bari before to Caputo's to be exact, so when I returned, sure enough, there was their signature in the guestbook!  Was lovely to be with these folks in the USA and then to see their names here where I am now.  Just LOVE this confirmation of fellowship the world over!
 Also, Terry Wells !

 The usual Sunday routine
 Celebrating Marco & Cristiano's birthdays


Freda, Esther and I took a day 'off'' and went to Alberobello. 





 It was a grand day and we had the whole village almost to ourselves. Everyone else was working.




Was time to apply for my residency permit. Liliana came into town on Tuesday and I met her at the City Hall to get my Residency Permit. After that, we ran a few errands, then came to the house where we had an American lunch. Then in the afternoon, we went to IKEA where I was able to buy some bedding and pillows. Happy about that! Yeah, one more thing done!

Liliana is interested in learning American cooking, so Wednesday, she came back and we made Refrigerator pickles and had another 'American lunch'.



Now that I have a bigger place, and am settled in, I've started entertaining weekly.  Today, went to the market to get a few things for lunch on Saturday for Freda and Esther. They did not get Xmas dinner American style, as they were on out of town, so making a special one for them, only on a smaller scale Mariella came also.

Routine Sunday lunch with Caputo's 


Liliana has been wanting to learn to make a few things "American", so she has been coming over about once a week, and we cook, then eat!!!  Damiano also got in on the Enchilada casserole (not pictured) one day, as he came by right after it was out of the oven.

More entertaining, and games after a big cornbread and chili feed. Also made my first polenta and fried it! Was very tasty!
 Liliana and Cristiano's sister, Annarita in the lower left
 Marco having a snooze


Freda and I decided to take a day and check out Conversano! What a great little city!
 The train station to return to Bari from Conversano.
 Of course, we went right past IKEA, so had to stop and shop and have a bite to eat ☺ Esther wasn't feeling so good this day, so did not join us.

And another week rolls around. Lunch at Caputo's, however, upstairs at Marco and Cristina's this day.

Liliana was going to Switzerland for a few days, and needed a ride to the Airport, so I went with her, then drove her car back to Bari. On the way, I did a bit of sight seeing.

 Here is a winery.

And he grows and grows. Love this little guy!

Off to see a new massage therapist and chiro. Much discomfort in my back for a few weeks now, so really needed to do something to fix that!!!  Anyway, it all helped and now, no more pain... just old.

And Sunday comes again. Cristina made this lovely rice and seafood dish.


Davide is really starting to interact as seen in this short video clip Cristina took.

Crazy style the boys/men wear here. Notice the exposed ankles. This seems to be the style even in their dress clothes, and everything is so tight; they surely can't be comfortable to sit in. 

February 13, 2016
Ahhhh, lovely sunny day at the sea. Sailboats by the dozen were out today.







Valentines Day, Sunday, February 14th


 Roberto catching ladybugs

 Cristiano and Marco prepared lunch today





Cristiano hugging up on his niece and nephews

Liliana and I doing some more 'stuff' today, then I made an All American Fried Chicken dinner for us!!  Yummy!! I haven't done this for a really long time. So nice to have someone to share it with.



Davide had his share of 'under the weather' this year as well as Roberto. Of course, Davide has been getting his immunizations, so this doesn't make him feel so well either.

My doorbell. This picture was sent to me by Flaviano, as he and a friend had come to see me this day and wanted to know which bell to push.... probably the one that says Carmen ☺  hee hee

Dear sweet Pina. In her 90's and no longer able to get out, but still has Sunday and Tuesday evening meeting in her home. What a dear dear lady!
 Liana, Mario's sister.

And more Friday night entertaining. Barbecue ribs American Style with some Sweet Baby Rays!!.... brought especially from USA as a treat for my Italian friends. Oh, how I miss some things I cannot get here.  
 American Baked Beans
 Potato Salad, coleslaw, homemade wheat rolls.  They had never had any of these things before!


And who ate all this food.... the early arrivals were Tonya & Giacinto, Flaviano, Freda & Esther and Massimo, then shortly along came ....
 Beautiful flowers brought by Damiano & Claudia.  Lovely!!


 Then Annarita & Daniele, Cristiano & Lili, Damiano & Claudia
 We were 13 in all.  I needed to get some paper table clothes, however, the shop near me only had this pink color.... oh well, it worked!




 What a fabulous evening we had. It is good to see Giacinto feeling better this evening, as he has been in hospital for treatments. Will continue getting them for a few months yet, but was having a good day today.
I had picked up these tulips at the florist just next door
  and in a couple of days, they had opened up ever so nicely~

And here we are back to Sunday again. March 8th. Also, my baby brother's birthday!


March 17th. I wanted to do something different for my Birthday this year, so I had invited Liliana to go to London with me, and since she has a cousin there who owns a restaurant, she also asked her mother, Mariella, to go with us. So after my time in Ireland, we will meet up in London for my birthday!  Going to miss this little guy though...

Getting geared up to take my trip to Ireland and England. I have been needing a new camera, so Liliana and I went out on Friday did some shopping. I found exactly what I was looking for, however, not at the price I had hoped, so now the test will come when I get to Ireland. I leave on Sunday night, so no time to really test it. I did take the picture of something else I purchased... a juicer which I have so desperately been needing since I didn't have one here. It was, however, on a really good sale, so will have to wait until I return to try it out. At least the picture is clear ☺ so perhaps my camera will be a good one. ☺ 

Sunday, March 20th... gorgeous sunny day and Davide is rocking those shades! Did not stay at Caputo's for lunch this day, as I have much to do to finalize my packing. I had taken the bus out this morning, but Luigi dropped me back home.  Then Marco picked me up about 5pm for the evening church service, then after that, he took me to the Airport to catch my 9pm flight.  Going to be a long night... 
My flowers were still looking so lovely. 

 Now I know I didn't include so much details as before, however, this blogging is very time consuming and believe it or not, being retired is no guarantee of 'loads' of free time. I find myself busier than ever.  Of course, everything takes much more time now that I don't have a car, etc., but still, hard to imagine how the days just slip away so quickly.

Tidbit: I observed something I've never seen before. The grocery store where I do my main shopping, when they balance their tills, do no count their coins, which include 1 and 2 € pieces. The paper money starts at 5 €. They have each denomination in a separate bin and weigh it ! Better hope the scales are accurate or maybe, if they are 'close' is good enough. Seems like that is the way so many things are here. ☺

Next post coming to you of Ireland!!







No comments:

Post a Comment