Can hardly believe my time in the USA is half gone already. Every day has been busy and full and loving my time here, but how quickly it goes.
Tuesday, December 1stWednesday, December 2nd
Another gorgeous sunny day here in Durango. Carissa had an appointment this day, so I went to the library and hung out on the balcony overlooking the river and the River Walk and soaked up some sun. Also, made a couple of phone calls while I was sitting here enjoying this beautiful view and day. Diane T, I loved our visit this day!! Wish I could have called you again while I was there in USA, but it just never seemed to work out.... but know that I certainly thought of you and still do even today!
After this, was time to pick the boys up from school. As the day comes to an end, 'Mommy' making more yummy dinner for her family, and me getting my hugs in while I can. Hard to believe Wade is this tall already!! Love these boys to the moon and back! Then off to church this evening with Lloyd and Kathy... such wonderful folks! I got to know their son when he was in Washington some years ago.
Thursday, December 3rd
This day, Wade had a school project that we went to. Great job Wade!! You are becoming quite the young man!
She would take the boys to school, then after her class, when she returned and got ready for the day, we would be busy doing something, either for the new house, for the boys school, shopping or meeting someone for lunch and/or coffee, then back to pick up the boys, take them to hockey practice, chiro appointments, preparing meals, helping with homework, etc. Oh, the busy life of a homemaker!!!
Friday, December 4th
Up and at it this morning for me. I still needed to get some major sorting and arranging done in my storage unit, so Carissa dropped the boys at hockey, and me, off early today at the storage shed, on her way up to their lot where she was working on the new house with Trevor. After a few hours, I was satisfied with the results. All the boxes were labeled and cross referenced and hopefully easy to locate.
When I started this morning, I had to move many of the boxes out into the walkway, to make room for sorting them out. While I had left a passageway just in case anyone came to get into their unit and sure enough, a couple came while I was there. The man was very 'nosy', stepping into my unit and wanting to know if I was a merchant. Probably because I had all these matching boxes... thanks to the PUD when I was working, I had been collecting these paper and light bulb boxes for a long time ☺ They make perfect storage boxes, as they are uniform in size.
Then, for a night on the town!
Then we watched some belly dancing, where one of the ladies had Wade take her phone and video the whole thing, while Dean was 'rolling his eyes' and looking very disgusted! ☺ After this show, there was a Christmas scene enacted by some children. Funny thing for me here... the father of one of the young girls in the Xmas play who was sitting talking to me when her father came in. He was a very tall, rough looking man, attired completely in cowboy clothes; jeans, hat, boots and a mustache. Not exactly my type, but after having lived in Italy now for a year and half, I have not been overly impressed with the male species here in Italy... so when I saw this 'All American, rough and tumble young man', it did my heart good. My first thought was "yes! a real man!" I didn't even realize the extent of my feelings about this until I saw this man. I won't expound on this further, but you have to live here in Italy to know exactly what I am talking about ☺
Trevor took the boys to hockey on his way to work on the house this morning and Carissa and I had a lazy morning. Felt really good. There had been freezing rain during the night, so Trevor had to take the 4WD today, as his truck is like a hog on ice. Anyway, Carissa and I were happy to just stay put, this day, then later, Trevor picked up the boys from hockey and came by the house where we all piled in and went back to the lot, after lunch. Dean froze out after a period of time mucking around in the snow without being dressed in warm enough clothes, so he and I sat in the car for a long period where we read a book until they were done and we all headed back home. Carissa made another yummy supper and also prepared an apple pie and couple other things to take to Morrison's tomorrow.
Sunday, December 6th
First Sunday of the month is always potluck at Morrison's. I think I counted 52 here this day. Was lovely to be with all these folks again and get to visit with so many.
Monday, December 7th
So while the boys are at school, and Trevor is at work, it's lunch with the ladies at Fired Up Pizza. Bernie and her daughter-n-law, who is a world traveler in her work, and is originally from Latvia (I think). Anyway, we had a wonderful lunch and visit. Great to meet up with all these folks when I am here at Carissa's.
After lunch, and a stop or two for necessities, was time to pick up the boys from school and then we all headed to the Chiro. It is 'family thing' here, where they all line up and get adjusted ☺ Was my turn too. I had one every week while I was here, continuing my arm treatment that my brother had started the day I arrived in USA. Certainly feeling much better now.
Tuesday, December 8th
School days, school days, good old golden rule days, is what we used to say. The boys go to the same school now, but next year, Wade moves to the high school.... What?? how is this possible? Already, growing up way too fast!
What a gorgeous sunny day here in Durango. A day to go do something...
Wednesday, December 9th
In the afternoon, more of the same for Carissa and I for stopping at the market, a run by the Sprint store, to try one more time to see if there was any chance to getting a USA SIM, which this guy gave me hope.... they did mail me one, however, it still didn't work. Oh, well, my time here is very short now, so just continue with my old flip phone. I had a lovely massage this afternoon, while Carissa picked the boys up from school and they went to the new house lot. Afterward, they picked me up, we headed for home, and me straight to bed. A wonderful long sleep and felt so good! No church tonight, as there will be Spc. Mtg tomorrow evening.
Thursday, December 10th
All the usual routine this day until the evening when
This evening, I also got to see Diane Knaub again. Was wonderful to briefly catch up with another transplanted Washingtonian!
Ah, but now time for Lunch! Yes, I know, I get Italian food all the time, however, Olive Garden is my all time favorite USA restaurant and I just had to go while I was here! Just love their salads!
Yummy!
Saturday, December 12th
This morning was the boys last hockey game before I will leave on Wednesday, however, I had been wanting to do a liver cleanse while I was here, and had ordered the Schulze products, but they were late arriving, and had just arrived yesterday evening. Now, I needed to get started, as it takes five days and I had only four days left to accomplish this in, so was not able to go to their last game. I felt bad about that and wish I could have gone, but really had to get this cleanse started this morning. The next four days weren't ideal for me, with having to do this cleanse, as there was lots going on these last few days. Also, I could have come to their game a little later in the morning, however, again, with all the snow and slick roads, Trevor had to take the 'car' and that left Carissa and I without transportation.
Weather certainly changing a bit now. Even though we had a bit of snow before, that had mostly melted, last night and today it is snowing in earnest and accumulating quickly. Slowing down the progress on the house building, but Trevor still going after it, working on the inside, even though the outside will have to be on hold for a while now. At least, it all got 'roofed' and that is a huge advantage. They met with the heating guys today, and they will get the heating roughed in on this coming Monday and Tuesday.
When I was in Washington, my dear, sweet friend Kay had sent with me some fresh/frozen deer meat and fresh homemade, canned, Grape Juice. So today, I was especially thankful for this wonderful sweet grape juice, as some of the formula I needed to take with my cleanse is almost impossible to get down without it. This is the same grape juice I have made for years while living in Washington, however, since I've moved to Italy, I haven't made any. Anyway, I was so thrilled to have this wonderful juice at this time!
Also, Carissa made a delicious stew with the deer meat for dinner this evening. It was absolutely the best I've ever had. That meat was so tender and did not have that wild game taste like it sometimes can. Thank you again Ms Kay for this!!!! We sooooo enjoyed it!
Sunday, December 13th
Special meeting in Aztec, NM today, so we were up early and headed south. Was a lovely, lovely opportunity and so glad I had this privilege. I met 'Pa & Ma' who have spent a considerable amount of time in Russia over the years and they sent greetings to our very own dear Italian, Maria Sigismondo, who also had been in Russia for many years. She was so very happy to get these greetings! Was also nice to get to visit with others who have been in Italy and other parts of Europe who inquired about many here that they had met. My world is getting smaller ☺
After church, we had to make the usual Starbucks run before we headed over to the new Dicks Sporting Goods store in Farmington, NM.
When Carissa and I were here in Farmington on Friday, I had bought each of the boys a Holiday Gift Card to shop at Dicks, so since we were going to Farmington today after church, for dinner, we went to Dicks first to see if they could find anything they liked, needed, wanted ☺
Also, when were were here on Friday, I saw they had a Red Lobster...
another one of my favorite places to eat, so I made plans to take the whole family to dinner Sunday evening after church, while we were so close. Aztec is a short distance from Farmington. A farewell dinner for my wonderful 'kids' and grand kids!! Was also nice that Paul and Margo could join us for dinner this evening!
Jan preparing dinner
Carissa deep in thought about something?
a beautiful fire in the fireplace
and the Pantry!!! No USA home is complete without a wonderful walk in pantry!
The yummy food.. pear and cheese, pork chops and beans and sauce
The awesome greenhouse right off the kitchen
The chandelier they brought from Italy years ago
And even though it was cold and snowy outside....
Inside was warm, inviting and lovely, both naturally and spiritually!
Thank you for a wonderful dinner and evening Ron and Jan!!
Anyway, a lovely day at Mafalda's with everyone and then home in the evening.
Monday, December 21st
Making an American dinner for my six guests tonight. And it was a hit. Everyone expressed how much they enjoyed it and I certainly enjoyed having them all here. What a special treat. Ralf was hoping to meet up with Damiano this day, however, Damiano is a very busy man at this time of year, so it just didn't work out. Perhaps another time.
Davide, Ralf, Maria, Freda, Natalina & Mercedes and me.
What a lovely evening, but Freda and Maria had to walk a half hour back to the bach and it was quite late, which brings up again the issue of my need to get a car.
Freda also brought over the keyboard for me. Love it! Now can have a few tunes, although, I don't actually play, I can get a few notes out of it.
Tuesday, December 22nd
Okay, now time to concentrate on Christmas dinner. But first, I have company coming, and I don't have any beds!! When I was so busy in October getting my apartment painted and cleaned and organized, I ran out of time to get furniture before I left for the USA, and was gone a whole month, so now I still have this issue of not having beds. Even for myself! I had been sleeping on a roll-away cot since I moved in here on the first of September.
Anyway, Liliana had so graciously offered to help me when I got to the point of getting something done about this, so today was the day!! I agreed to meet her at IKEA at 10:30 this morning. I would take the train over and she would bring me and my things home. At 10:20 the phone rang waking me up.... it was Lili leaving a message, where are you? I couldn't believe I was still asleep! How is this possible. I tried to call her back, but now in addition to being late, my phone would not let me make calls. What a terrible day to have phone issues! Nothing to do but hustle! Flipped my hair up, jumped into my clothes and was out the door.
Now the timing of the bus and the timing of the train would probably never happen again, but I stepped out of my door, directly onto the bus that had just pulled up, then got off the bus and raced through the train station, to the far track, where I purchased a ticket and stepped onto the train that was just leaving. After the 15 minute train ride, and a very fast walk to the door of IKEA, I had done all this from jumping out of bed, getting dressed, a bus ride, a train ride and a long walk in just under 30 minutes. Not bad for an 'old woman'!!
But after this, I got a few minutes to relax, as Liliana needed to go back home and get some paperwork, so I then had time to shop. Anyway, most of my choices I had already made on-line and had a print-out, so Lili helped me with this when she returned. The larger items would be delivered to my house the next morning and we would take the two additional folding beds with us along with a futon and other items I had purchased. All of this took a bit of coordinating, so I was really glad to have Lili there helping sort all this out. The one box with the futon was very heavy, so Lili's husband met us here at the apartment to help unload it, for which I was very very grateful! It really was heavy!
As soon as we 'dumped' all this into the apartment, we were off again, this time to Ipercoop for grocery shopping of things I was not able to get here in the downtown area where I live. Also, we were looking for a small table, since I was going to need all the tables I had and one additional one for seating at Christmas dinner. Anyway, as soon as we arrived back at the apartment, I only just had time to 'dump' all into the apartment again, as it was now time for me to go to the bus stop and meet the young ladies from Australia. This is about a 25 minute walk from my place, however, since it was already near time to meet them, Lili dropped me near the train station, and I only had a short walk from there.
As I walked past the Vodafone shop, I popped in to find out why I didn't have phone service and it was because my contract had expired and they needed €5 to restart my contract. Really!! And you couldn't have just billed me for this? I have an automatic debit... just debit me and keep my phone on! Anyway, was glad that is all it was, because now I had phone service again, in case the 'girls' had trouble and needed to reach me. What a bad day to have no phone!
Now the girls bus has arrived and we walked from there to my apartment. Being that it is now just three days until Christmas, the amount of people out shopping was incredible, so we finally gave up on trying to walk down the sidewalk while pulling luggage and just stepped out in the street and walked there. Cars weren't moving very fast anyway as there was too much traffic also for that.
When we arrived at the apartment, now, I had a huge pile of things to get sorted out. First, I needed to put away the groceries, then we had to put together and set up their beds, so they would have a place to sleep, and the lamps, so they could see. All in all, it was done in no time and we stayed up late just visiting.
Wednesday, December 23rd
Now this morning, I had plenty to keep me busy, as I waited for them to deliver my bed. It arrived about 11am, and I started putting it together. Oh my, what a pile of pieces! It is nothing like American beds, let me tell you! The girls were out scouting out the town and doing some shopping of their own, so this gave me time to work on getting my bed together. A couple hours later, I had my first bed since I moved in here!!! I tested it out and it was fabulous! I got twin beds which I put together into one, however, they can be pulled apart for separate sleeping if necessary. Here it is!!! I only got one of them put together this day, however.
This afternoon, we wanted to leave early to arrive at Caputo's and have a little extra time for Jessica and Lanni to visit. We were a big group this evening with Davide, Ralf, Freda, Maria and Natalina, along with me being back, and the two girls with me. After bible study, Marco's invited us to stay and all have Pizza, and Daniele stayed also.
This is what a pizza party looks like here in Italy! Everyone gets their own individual pizza!
Jessica at left of photo
Lanni and I
Marco & Cristina
Marco took us home afterwards. We dropped Davide off at Mafalda's first.
Thursday, December 24th
First thing when the girls and I got up this morning, we set about putting together this 'futon' type bed/sofa and while they were working on that, I put together the other half of my bed. Liliana wanted to come and help me with the cooking, and watch and learn how to cook American style, so while we were waiting for her to get here, we set about getting the rest of the beds together. Yeah, I now have beds!!!! and lights!!!! and a few other things. Ready for more guests!
Now though, let the cooking begin in earnest! Time to prep and get ready for Christmas dinner tomorrow.
Liliana and Cristiano had ordered both the turkey and the ham for me. This is the first time I've had either here in Italy. I really didn't know what to expect since, I didn't know if it would be an old tough bird or just what. Also, it was in serious need of plucking as where ever they got it, didn't do too good of a job. I tried the best I could, then just decided I wouldn't worry too much about it, since I don't eat the skin anyway, I would just take it off after it baked, which I did. Also, didn't worry about getting it nice and brown, since I was just getting rid of it anyway.
The Ham, was the whole hind quarter of the hog, right down to the ankle! It was huge and of course, not cured like hams I am used too, so wasn't really sure just how it would turn out. First thing I had to do though, was saw it apart, into a manageable size, as it was too big for my smallish oven! So I got out my new little hacksaw that could cut through bone, gave it a good washing and assigned Jessica and Lanni this task. From the look on Jessica's face, perhaps she's not a 'farm' girl ☺
Now on to the bread roll making.
Martina, Lili's stepdaughter, came to help also, and put together the snacks for us and took photos.
Then Martina and Lili decorated the entry, which looked very inviting with the winking lights, however, can't really tell much from this picture.
I never did find a small work table the day Lili and I were looking, but the next day she did find one, and brought it to me. What a sweetheart! As soon as I knew it was coming, the girls and I moved the kitchen table in with the other two tables already set up and got busy arranging. I don't have one big table, but I had several tables and enough room to seat everyone and even one or two extra places if Alexandra and Panos could have made it as originally planned.
Glad that Jessica and Lanni took some time today and went out and about town while Lili, Martina and I got a lot accomplished in the kitchen. About three times today, Martina or Jess & Lanni made market runs for a few things more that we needed. Never fails... no matter how much 'stuff' you buy, you will invariable forget something!
Friday, December 25th, Christmas day
Well, my dear sweet little house guests did their shopping yesterday, and last evening, they wanted to know if I had some wrapping paper or bags. I don't have a very big selection, however, I had a few things in my collection, which they made use of. They were so cute. They each picked their own presents, but insisted on wrapping them for each other and have a proper Xmas morning gift opening in our pj's. Makes me smile just remembering. I wasn't however, expecting them to get me anything, but they did. I had already brought back a 'ton' of stuff from America, with a few specific things I hoped they would like and they did!, along with a couple local gifts. Anyway, here is our little pile of gifts between the three of us and our Xmas morning gift opening ☺
Lanni
Me
Kitchen and bath stuff for me from Jess & Lanni. Not hard to find useful things for me, as I have so little here now! Thank you girls!
And Cristina the ever so crafty person that she is, made these, and also the reindeer you see on the plates. She is so very talented! Also, good thing she made and brought this bread basket, since I didn't have one! Came in very useful today for the rolls!
Cristina's beautiful gifts to me! Marco also brought me a large jug of their wonderful olive oil, some of their homemade wine and fresh lemons from their tree! Loved it all!
Cristiano & his mother, Liliana, Martina, Massimo, Jessica, Lanni, Marco, Cristina, Aurora, Roberto, Davide, Mariella and me. A beautiful gathering of wonderful friends!
Let the feasting begin!
Turkey & gravy, ham, cheesy baked potatoes, salad, glorified rice, candied yams, hot rolls and cornbread dressing made from scratch also with the poultry seasoning made by me. There are still things I cannot buy here, but I am learning, that making them all myself, really gives them fresher flavor. I had baked the cornbread a few days before so it would have time to dry.
I will have to say, both the ham and the turkey turned out as tender and juicy as any I've ever made and both had a really good flavor. I was quite happy about that, as I certainly didn't know how it would turn out!
Everyone ate heartily this day, and declared it a success. Expressing how much they enjoyed all the new flavors and seasonings. Truly an American Christmas dinner!
This is what the weather looked like in USA where I lived, so 60 degrees here in Bari is Perfect!
After a long and leisurely lunch, Marco and Cristina packed up and were heading over to Naples to spend some time with her sister, Alexandra & Panos. I had invited them to come over for Xmas dinner, however, they were not able too, so now Cristina's would make a trip over to see them. Along about 4 o'clock they left as well as Liliana and Cristiano. About this time, Mafalda called Mariella and told us she was just too sick to have afternoon bible study, so I then caught a ride home with Cristiano. This night Mariella would be in the house alone, however, the next several nights I would come back and stay with her.
Friday, December 11th
Time to get out of Dodge... er Durango again, so we headed down to Farmington, New Mexico. I wanted to go to Staples and that was the closest one, however, not necessary to go just for that, but since they have nice shopping here also, we decided it would be a fun trip. I had been looking for slips for a couple of years now, and was not having any luck finding any, however, on this day, in a shop I never even expected would have them, I found all kinds of slips!! My lucky day! Also, had been looking for a blue skirt and found that too in this same store, and on sale. Yeah! A successful day. And to think, I had almost decided to not go to the mall, then Carissa suggested, we might as well while we were there. So glad we did!
Dikilyn was game to meet us there so we had a wonderful soup, salad and bread lunch with her.
After lunch, a little more shopping, then headed back to Durango to pick up the boys, hockey practice, etc.
This morning was the boys last hockey game before I will leave on Wednesday, however, I had been wanting to do a liver cleanse while I was here, and had ordered the Schulze products, but they were late arriving, and had just arrived yesterday evening. Now, I needed to get started, as it takes five days and I had only four days left to accomplish this in, so was not able to go to their last game. I felt bad about that and wish I could have gone, but really had to get this cleanse started this morning. The next four days weren't ideal for me, with having to do this cleanse, as there was lots going on these last few days. Also, I could have come to their game a little later in the morning, however, again, with all the snow and slick roads, Trevor had to take the 'car' and that left Carissa and I without transportation.
Weather certainly changing a bit now. Even though we had a bit of snow before, that had mostly melted, last night and today it is snowing in earnest and accumulating quickly. Slowing down the progress on the house building, but Trevor still going after it, working on the inside, even though the outside will have to be on hold for a while now. At least, it all got 'roofed' and that is a huge advantage. They met with the heating guys today, and they will get the heating roughed in on this coming Monday and Tuesday.
Also, Carissa made a delicious stew with the deer meat for dinner this evening. It was absolutely the best I've ever had. That meat was so tender and did not have that wild game taste like it sometimes can. Thank you again Ms Kay for this!!!! We sooooo enjoyed it!
Sunday, December 13th
After church, we had to make the usual Starbucks run before we headed over to the new Dicks Sporting Goods store in Farmington, NM.
Also, when were were here on Friday, I saw they had a Red Lobster...
And, My I do love shrimp! and baked potato (can't get those in Italy!) and yummy clam chowder!
Now on a full stomach and with a few miles to travel in the dark, we headed back to Durango, arriving 'home' and ready for bed. Had been a long, but absolutely lovely day!
Monday, December 14th
My days are quickly winding down and I have only today and tomorrow to be here. Ron and Jan E had been wanting us to come for dinner since the day I arrived, however, they are so busy with their construction business, they have hardly had time to take a breath. Anyway, yesterday, they insisted we must come for dinner before I leave, so that means tonight being the last opportunity. And it was a lovely evening. Also, was so nice to see their new home, finished. The last time I was here, they were just in the beginning stages of building it, so now I got to see it completed and it is beautiful. So many wonderful little details. Here are some photos I took of their home and our evening here. Thank you so much Ron and Jan! See you in Italy sometime... you need to come back! I shared your greetings with the Caputo's... they would love to see you folks again.
The awesome greenhouse right off the kitchen
Tuesday, December 15th
How can it be my last day here already! Too fast the time has gone. The boys want me to stay through their winter holiday break and I would love too, however, all good and wonderful things do come to an end.
I did however, get one last school function in with the boys. This one was Dean's. He had been working on it for a few days, and now was display time.
For my last dinner Carissa made BLT's!!!! My last BACON fix before I head back. Oh my, they were so good. Also, she made extra bacon, so I had a bacon sandwich the next morning for my breakfast before I left!
But today, it was time to get final packing done and all put together and in the car, as I want to be at the airport by 6am tomorrow. Means a 4:30 rise. Trevor gets up at this time every day!! I am so glad I don't have to do those early mornings very often!
Now I have four very full and heavy suitcases! One is exactly 50 pounds, second one just ounces under 50 pounds and third one, though just as stuffed but less weight at 37 pounds. Sure hope they don't open this bag for inspection, or at least have on their protective gear if they do, for an explosion of sorts! With this one, I tried to squeeze a tube of hand lotion in and absolutely didn't think I would ever get it closed again.
For several days, I already had packed two suitcases; the two 50 pound ones that I was taking back with me and didn't need to get into them again while I was here. Took me a few tries to get the things distributed equitably so the cases were equally full and equal in weight. Now the final two cases. One was the 37 pound one that I couldn't get even a toothpick more in. The other one I was taking on the plane with me that had all my electronic stuff in it. I had to put my pajamas in my purse the next morning, as there just was not any where else to squeeze them in! My computer bag, actually wouldn't fit either, so technically, I had three carry-on's, when only two are allowed, however, no one even once said anything to me. Yeah!! Don't know exactly what I would have done?? I already had on three sets of clothes, a vest and a coat.... I guess I could have put my pj's on too! maybe giving me room for my laptop in my very large purse. It would have hung out, but would have been in there ☺
One last evening, hanging out with 'my boys' watching The Grinch, before heading to bed. Really, really going to miss these boys. Can't explain how much it meant for me to be there with them, getting my daily dose of hugs! Love these boys to the moon and back.
Wednesday, December 16th
Time to return to Bari. It has been wonderful to be here, but now time to return 'home'. Next time hopefully it won't be winter and will be more conducive to traveling to Texas and Calif. and spend time with my other children/grandchildren, however, this trip I was on a mission and that was fulfilled.
Four o'clock came very early, and as usual, I don't sleep well when I know I have an early morning flight to catch, so this is going to be a very very long day. Anyway, hugged the boys just before we left about 5:30am, told Trevor goodbye and Carissa and I headed for the airport. Wasn't the first to arrive, but close to it and then had to wait for the gate agents to open, as my flight was International and they had to check my passport, so I wasn't able to check in on-line. As you might guess, I was a little apprehensive about my bags being overweight, but as mentioned earlier, they were perfect for weight, so was checked in in no time and waiting to board the plane and be on my way.
It was very cold this morning... -1F (-18.33C) and we had to walk a fair ways on the tarmac to get on the plane. This first leg was to Denver, so not a long flight, and even though the day was very cold, it was sunny and the view from above over the Rockies was very beautiful. My seatmate was a young lady from Mancas who runs the Dude Ranch there, but was leaving for a two month nanny position with a family in New Hampshire, cruising to the Bahamas. Nice gig... get paid to take a vacation!! and somewhere warm at that!
Due to the extreme cold, and the plane having sat all night, we were late leaving Durango while they de-iced the plane. I only had a 17 minute window to catch my next flight out of Denver to Dulles, so I mentioned this to the air hostess and she said she would phone the gate and asked them to wait. Turns out the young lady seated with me also was making this same connection. Anyway, when we arrived in Denver, I had to wait for them to bring my carry-on bag up (small airplane, so no where to put it, so they put it underneath). Now, though, I had to wait and they were not as speedy as usual. As I was standing there waiting, a very nice lady who had overheard the conversation on the plane, was watching out the window as they loaded our bags on the cart, and said, I see your bag. I smiled and said to her... how do you know that's my bag, to which she replied... I saw you get on with it.... hmmmm, very observant lady. Anyway, she was very concerned about me missing my connection, that she asked everyone to step aside, so I could get my bag first. All this made me smile. I'm really not shy about 'getting things done', but this time, I didn't even have to do anything, she just took 'charge'. Anyway, as soon as I got it, I was on a very fast walk to my connecting gate, and this lady was right on my heels, then when I arrived at my gate, she gave me a big hug and wished me well. The seatmate, had already gotten on the plane, as she didn't have to wait for a bag. I was however, the last one on the plane. Close call, that one.
I was seated on this flight from Denver to Dulles next to a young man from Hungary who was going home for the holidays. He was a student at Idaho University. He HAD missed his flight yesterday, due to bad weather, so he sat the whole night in the airport waiting for this flight today. Now we would also be on the same flight from Dulles to Munich, however, on that flight, I never saw him, until we arrived in Munich. (More about that later).
Anyway, arrived in Dulles with no problems, with a two hour layover there. While I was sitting there waiting, I saw a lady being brought to the gate in a wheel chair. She could walk, however, she was elderly and had a fairly heavy carry-on bag, so would have been exhausted to walk all that ways. Anyway, as they arrived, she tired to say something to the man, and he couldn't understand her, and you could see the frustration, so that caught my attention. Suddenly I realized she was speaking Italian! Well what about that... I could actually be of help to this dear old lady, so I said something to her in Italian, and instantly we became 'inseparable' !! She hung to me like glue. Amazing, how little Italian I speak, yet, it is enough to 'get by' when necessary. I helped her get on the plane, find her seat, put her bag overhead and assured her I would help her get off in Munich. She was flying to Rome and I to Bari, and she tired to convince me I could go to Rome with her, then to Bari ☺ . We were both seated in the center section, and what were the chances, but, I was seated one row behind her at the opposite side, so she could see me and she liked that. Uneventful, and very nice 8+ hour flight, which, unlike my trip over, I wasn't able to sleep much. I was warm enough, had plenty to eat and plenty of leg room, however, even as tired as I was, didn't sleep on this flight. When we arrived in Munich, I then helped this elderly lady locate which gate she needed to go to, as it wasn't printed on her boarding pass, helped her through Passport control, and this is where I met up with the young man from Hungary again. Anyway, he was very nice and helped carry her bag from that point, which I really appreciated, because, as I mentioned before, I had two very heavy bags, and my laptop, of my own to carry. Once we got down to the correct level for the gates we needed for our next flights (her gate was a long ways from mine), there were plenty of people there who were from Italy, and spoke much better Italian than I, so I put her in contact with one of them.
Now this poor lady had been visiting her daughter who lives in the USA, but I don't think she should have been traveling alone at her age and without being able to speak any English. Just my opinion, but some years ago, I had a similar situation with my own mother, who spoke the language, of course, but I flew home with her none-the-less, just because she had never flown alone before and really was confused about many things... (she thought the clouds were snow on the ground and didn't realize were were a long, long ways from the ground!) Anyway, I felt sorry for this old lady from Rome and was very glad that I could help her even a little.
Thursday, December 17th
We arrived in Munich, where I caught my connecting flight to Italy and was back in Bari at about 11am this next day. Liliana was there to pick me up and as I collected together all my heavy luggage, I was thinking, now my last hurdle.... getting all this stuff I brought back, through customs! Well from the very day I started my journey to go to the USA and every day while I was there, until this final exit from the Bari airport, my entire trip had gone just about as perfect as anyone could ask for. And it just got better! They were not doing customs this day! Yes, I had to run all my bags through the scanner, before I exited, I suppose to check for weapons, but other than that, no customs check, and within minutes, we were loading my things in Lili's car and own our way. A Perfect 30 days!
Mariella had offered to feed me lunch or at least send some food home with me, as I had absolutely zero in my refrigerator, however, at this point, all I was interested in was just getting home and getting some rest. We did go by Mariella's where I picked up my packages and mail, then directly on to my house, where Liliana helped unload and bring my things up to my apartment. My apartment was just as I had left it and not even all that cold in here, considering there had been no heat on. Felt so good to be 'home'. I spent a couple hours unloading my bags, and checking to make sure all arrived safely and intact. When I had checked my bags in in Durango, they had only opened one of the 50 pound bags, and when they re-closed it, they did not put things back in the 'exact' place, and I had one small glass vial that broke.
Other than that, everything arrived in perfect condition. Wow, I have so many nice new things now and presents for people here, and lots of cooking supplies. I did it!!!! Yeah!
But exhaustion has set in and I must now get a shower and go to bed. I wanted to stay up until closer to normal bedtime if I could, so I wouldn't have the same problem with adjusting to the time difference as I did when I went to the USA, but was just too tired, so went to bed very early and slept through the night. Fantastic.
Friday, December 18th and Saturday 19th
Now, to get to the store and get some groceries. Not only do I personally need some groceries, but I need to get a couple menus planned and purchase food stuff for those also.
It is Special Meeting time here in Bari, and I would have six, plus myself, for dinner on Monday. Since on Sunday I would be all day at the meetings, and didn't expect to arrive home very early that evening, I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to get prepared.
On Tuesday evening, I also was having company (two young ladies from Australia) for a few days through Christmas, and then for Christmas dinner, I was expecting 13, so off to the markets, planning, prepping, cleaning the house, and generally getting organized.
A very busy two days, but that was just the beginning. The next week got even busier...
Sunday, December 20th
Early morning bus ride to Mafalda's. I really enjoyed it this morning... didn't realize I had been missing it. ☺ Mafalda has been sick while I was gone, and also her basement had flooded, and she was a very busy lady, getting all in order before today. Also the usual amount of cooking for all the people she was having stay for the evening meal afterwards. Wish I could have been here to help her.Anyway, a lovely day at Mafalda's with everyone and then home in the evening.
Monday, December 21st
Making an American dinner for my six guests tonight. And it was a hit. Everyone expressed how much they enjoyed it and I certainly enjoyed having them all here. What a special treat. Ralf was hoping to meet up with Damiano this day, however, Damiano is a very busy man at this time of year, so it just didn't work out. Perhaps another time.
What a lovely evening, but Freda and Maria had to walk a half hour back to the bach and it was quite late, which brings up again the issue of my need to get a car.
Freda also brought over the keyboard for me. Love it! Now can have a few tunes, although, I don't actually play, I can get a few notes out of it.
Tuesday, December 22nd
Okay, now time to concentrate on Christmas dinner. But first, I have company coming, and I don't have any beds!! When I was so busy in October getting my apartment painted and cleaned and organized, I ran out of time to get furniture before I left for the USA, and was gone a whole month, so now I still have this issue of not having beds. Even for myself! I had been sleeping on a roll-away cot since I moved in here on the first of September.
Anyway, Liliana had so graciously offered to help me when I got to the point of getting something done about this, so today was the day!! I agreed to meet her at IKEA at 10:30 this morning. I would take the train over and she would bring me and my things home. At 10:20 the phone rang waking me up.... it was Lili leaving a message, where are you? I couldn't believe I was still asleep! How is this possible. I tried to call her back, but now in addition to being late, my phone would not let me make calls. What a terrible day to have phone issues! Nothing to do but hustle! Flipped my hair up, jumped into my clothes and was out the door.
Now the timing of the bus and the timing of the train would probably never happen again, but I stepped out of my door, directly onto the bus that had just pulled up, then got off the bus and raced through the train station, to the far track, where I purchased a ticket and stepped onto the train that was just leaving. After the 15 minute train ride, and a very fast walk to the door of IKEA, I had done all this from jumping out of bed, getting dressed, a bus ride, a train ride and a long walk in just under 30 minutes. Not bad for an 'old woman'!!
But after this, I got a few minutes to relax, as Liliana needed to go back home and get some paperwork, so I then had time to shop. Anyway, most of my choices I had already made on-line and had a print-out, so Lili helped me with this when she returned. The larger items would be delivered to my house the next morning and we would take the two additional folding beds with us along with a futon and other items I had purchased. All of this took a bit of coordinating, so I was really glad to have Lili there helping sort all this out. The one box with the futon was very heavy, so Lili's husband met us here at the apartment to help unload it, for which I was very very grateful! It really was heavy!
As soon as we 'dumped' all this into the apartment, we were off again, this time to Ipercoop for grocery shopping of things I was not able to get here in the downtown area where I live. Also, we were looking for a small table, since I was going to need all the tables I had and one additional one for seating at Christmas dinner. Anyway, as soon as we arrived back at the apartment, I only just had time to 'dump' all into the apartment again, as it was now time for me to go to the bus stop and meet the young ladies from Australia. This is about a 25 minute walk from my place, however, since it was already near time to meet them, Lili dropped me near the train station, and I only had a short walk from there.
As I walked past the Vodafone shop, I popped in to find out why I didn't have phone service and it was because my contract had expired and they needed €5 to restart my contract. Really!! And you couldn't have just billed me for this? I have an automatic debit... just debit me and keep my phone on! Anyway, was glad that is all it was, because now I had phone service again, in case the 'girls' had trouble and needed to reach me. What a bad day to have no phone!
Now the girls bus has arrived and we walked from there to my apartment. Being that it is now just three days until Christmas, the amount of people out shopping was incredible, so we finally gave up on trying to walk down the sidewalk while pulling luggage and just stepped out in the street and walked there. Cars weren't moving very fast anyway as there was too much traffic also for that.
When we arrived at the apartment, now, I had a huge pile of things to get sorted out. First, I needed to put away the groceries, then we had to put together and set up their beds, so they would have a place to sleep, and the lamps, so they could see. All in all, it was done in no time and we stayed up late just visiting.
Wednesday, December 23rd
Now this morning, I had plenty to keep me busy, as I waited for them to deliver my bed. It arrived about 11am, and I started putting it together. Oh my, what a pile of pieces! It is nothing like American beds, let me tell you! The girls were out scouting out the town and doing some shopping of their own, so this gave me time to work on getting my bed together. A couple hours later, I had my first bed since I moved in here!!! I tested it out and it was fabulous! I got twin beds which I put together into one, however, they can be pulled apart for separate sleeping if necessary. Here it is!!! I only got one of them put together this day, however.
This afternoon, we wanted to leave early to arrive at Caputo's and have a little extra time for Jessica and Lanni to visit. We were a big group this evening with Davide, Ralf, Freda, Maria and Natalina, along with me being back, and the two girls with me. After bible study, Marco's invited us to stay and all have Pizza, and Daniele stayed also.
This is what a pizza party looks like here in Italy! Everyone gets their own individual pizza!
Marco & Cristina
Marco took us home afterwards. We dropped Davide off at Mafalda's first.
Thursday, December 24th
First thing when the girls and I got up this morning, we set about putting together this 'futon' type bed/sofa and while they were working on that, I put together the other half of my bed. Liliana wanted to come and help me with the cooking, and watch and learn how to cook American style, so while we were waiting for her to get here, we set about getting the rest of the beds together. Yeah, I now have beds!!!! and lights!!!! and a few other things. Ready for more guests!
Now though, let the cooking begin in earnest! Time to prep and get ready for Christmas dinner tomorrow.
Liliana and Cristiano had ordered both the turkey and the ham for me. This is the first time I've had either here in Italy. I really didn't know what to expect since, I didn't know if it would be an old tough bird or just what. Also, it was in serious need of plucking as where ever they got it, didn't do too good of a job. I tried the best I could, then just decided I wouldn't worry too much about it, since I don't eat the skin anyway, I would just take it off after it baked, which I did. Also, didn't worry about getting it nice and brown, since I was just getting rid of it anyway.
The Ham, was the whole hind quarter of the hog, right down to the ankle! It was huge and of course, not cured like hams I am used too, so wasn't really sure just how it would turn out. First thing I had to do though, was saw it apart, into a manageable size, as it was too big for my smallish oven! So I got out my new little hacksaw that could cut through bone, gave it a good washing and assigned Jessica and Lanni this task. From the look on Jessica's face, perhaps she's not a 'farm' girl ☺
Anyway, after this, I took the ham and rubbed it really good with salt and Hickory Smoke Salt and let it sit for several hours, then put it in the oven just before bed time and let it bake on very low heat overnight. Two reasons for this.... one I wasn't sure how tender it would be, and secondly, I only have the one small oven, so needed to stagger my baking times in order to get the turkey and everything else baked as well.
While the girls were working this pig over, Liliana and I had started on the pies. They turned out beautifully, however, something I've never had happen before. I went to lift out one of the pie dishes from the oven and it had completely broken up underneath the pie. Came out in five or six pieces!
What fantastic help I had with all the peeling, slicing, dicing, grating, mixing, chopping, sawing, running to the market, dish washing/drying... Thanks everyone! Made it all very special!
Then Martina and Lili decorated the entry, which looked very inviting with the winking lights, however, can't really tell much from this picture.
Friday, December 25th, Christmas day
Well, my dear sweet little house guests did their shopping yesterday, and last evening, they wanted to know if I had some wrapping paper or bags. I don't have a very big selection, however, I had a few things in my collection, which they made use of. They were so cute. They each picked their own presents, but insisted on wrapping them for each other and have a proper Xmas morning gift opening in our pj's. Makes me smile just remembering. I wasn't however, expecting them to get me anything, but they did. I had already brought back a 'ton' of stuff from America, with a few specific things I hoped they would like and they did!, along with a couple local gifts. Anyway, here is our little pile of gifts between the three of us and our Xmas morning gift opening ☺
Jessica
A USA gift from myself to myself that I purchased while there.
Then, in addition to all Liliana had already done for me, I couldn't believe it, she came bearing gifts this day too! Lovely new kitchen clothes and and key holder! I needed both!
And Cristina the ever so crafty person that she is, made these, and also the reindeer you see on the plates. She is so very talented! Also, good thing she made and brought this bread basket, since I didn't have one! Came in very useful today for the rolls!
We had a great feast, then we played games while the children watched "The Grinch". We all had a great time, even though, Marco and Mariella had gotten sick the day before and were a little under the weather. Marco took Mariella home after a few hours, but then came back and we continued to play more games, and later played games with the children too. Overall, it was a wonderful day of feasting, fun and fellowship. Thanks to you all for a fabulous Christmas!
Late, very late in the evening, I had to say goodbye to Jessica and Lanni as they were catching the overnight train to Cinque Terre. They would be there for the next day, then on to Florence. I packed them all kinds of leftovers for their journey and then watched over the balcony, as they walked toward the station, until they were out of sight. Enjoyed having them here so very very much. What beautiful young ladies they are, inside and out. Come again, anytime girls! Loved having you!
After putting away all the food, was time to take a quick shower and get some rest, which is what I did.
Saturday, December 26th
Time to clean up and put tables away, beds away, start laundry, clean the house and get back to 'normal'. In the afternoon, I made a great big rice and mushroom casserole with most of the leftover turkey and lots of seasonings, onion and garlic, to take to Caputo's tomorrow for lunch. Made bread crumbs with leftover rolls and mixed it with fresh Parmesan cheese and sprinkled that over the top. It turned out very good.
Now time to take a walk in this beautiful 60+ degree weather, then do some studying and rest before tomorrow. I had bought me a beautiful new coat while in the USA, and it is almost too warm for the weather here in Bari. In the evenings, it is good, but during the day... too warm.
Thanks to Ron W for posting and sharing these photos
Sunday, December 27th
Since I had the big casserole and some other things to take to Caputo's for lunch, Marco came into town and picked me up for church today. Would have been a little difficult taking it all on the bus, especially without making a huge mess of it.
Monday, December 28th through Friday, December 31st
Spent the next three days just doing things around my house... finally doing things that I have had no time to do since I arrived back from the USA, as I had gone immediately into entertaining mode. Along in the early evenings on these days, I would then catch the bus and go out to Mariella's and stay overnight with her there, as she doesn't like being in the house all alone. They have had some break-in issues there in the past, so was there to keep her company. Each morning, then I would rise at whatever time I woke up, she'd make me a cup of coffee, then I'd catch the bus and come back to my house and spend the day.
On Wednesday, Esther returned and was also planning to spend the night there, however, she went to the bach that night instead, and the next night, New Years Eve, we were both going to stay over. Mariella's neighbor and very close family friend had invited us all for New Years Eve lintel dinner and celebration. Sounded like great fun.
But all plans are subject to change. Early in the day, Marco phoned and said Roberto had taken very ill with vomiting and diarrhea and they were coming home. They arrived fairly early in the afternoon, and ended up taking him to the hospital, as he was very dehydrated. He was a couple days there, and was soon feeling his usual active self.
Now this night, Mariella would stay and take care of Aurora, who was also starting to get sick.
As for myself, I had been pushing myself for several months now, and it just seemed like the right time to just Stop and Crash, so I phoned Esther and Mariella and begged out, but since Mariella had already decided not to go either, Esther thought she might just as well enjoy some private time as well, so that is what 'three old ladies' in Bari did for New Years Eve! We still got to hear all the fireworks though, they went on and on and on and on all evening.
Then for the next two days, I never even got out of my pajamas! It felt so wonderful to just DO NOTHING!!!
This is comparable to our American Fruitcake. A tradition here in Italy, sometimes referred to as Monkey brain. It is a 'ball' of nuts and raisins, 'glued' together with sugar, honey, etc, then baked. Wonder if it will still be around at the end of 2016 hee hee ☺ like our American fruitcakes!!
On Wednesday, Esther returned and was also planning to spend the night there, however, she went to the bach that night instead, and the next night, New Years Eve, we were both going to stay over. Mariella's neighbor and very close family friend had invited us all for New Years Eve lintel dinner and celebration. Sounded like great fun.
But all plans are subject to change. Early in the day, Marco phoned and said Roberto had taken very ill with vomiting and diarrhea and they were coming home. They arrived fairly early in the afternoon, and ended up taking him to the hospital, as he was very dehydrated. He was a couple days there, and was soon feeling his usual active self.
Now this night, Mariella would stay and take care of Aurora, who was also starting to get sick.
As for myself, I had been pushing myself for several months now, and it just seemed like the right time to just Stop and Crash, so I phoned Esther and Mariella and begged out, but since Mariella had already decided not to go either, Esther thought she might just as well enjoy some private time as well, so that is what 'three old ladies' in Bari did for New Years Eve! We still got to hear all the fireworks though, they went on and on and on and on all evening.
Then for the next two days, I never even got out of my pajamas! It felt so wonderful to just DO NOTHING!!!
And with that, that concludes the year of 2015! And, what a fantastic year it was!
Christmas lights on Hotel in Bari at the corner of my street














No comments:
Post a Comment