Very overcast and cloudy and tried to rain here in the Tuscany area today, but was mostly just very cool, so I stayed inside most of the day. Late in the afternoon Michela and I then went into Livorno and I purchased a phone and new SIM for my HotSpot at the Euronics Store (like a Best Buy). I only purchased prepaid for now until I see how much I actually use and whether it is necessary to get a minimum two year contract. My phone number is 39 347 055 0938. I got double minutes as a promotion for purchasing a cheap Samsung phone, so will get to do a bit of calling this month, however, the 8 hour time difference to US will make a difference on how much calling I get done. Right now, as I am thinking about winding down the evening, you all are just having lunch.
Michela also went with me to the Police to report my presence in this city in Italy, even though she had to register me at her B & B when I arrived, I still have to make sure I report in at each place I stay. (USA could take some lessons :) ). The proper authorities weren't in today, so we will go back at 8 in the morning, then she has some appointments in town, so I'll explore around Livorno until she is finished.
The Security presence in Italy is very obvious, especially in the stores. While we were in Euronics, the guy made sure we 'saw' him! I know we looked like total hoodlums :)
We then went to the Grocery and she purchased some breakfast items just for me. She kept asking me what I wanted for breakfast for several days now and finally I mentioned maybe some hot cereal and whole grain bread and she had never heard of these things before! So then she took her phone into the store and asked me to tell her again, then translated it, so she could locate it in the store... they don't even have it here! Anyway not in this city. No wonder she had never heard of it before. She seems to be just as curious of what we do in the US as I am about what they do here.
After we got back to the B & B I tried my HotSpot and it didn't work, so was online with Sprint in US for about an hour trying to figure it out when come to realize, after all the calling I had done to Sprint before I left the US was in vain, because they had not unlocked my device like they were suppose to. Not sure now if I can get it unlocked or not, but they did a 'ticket' on it and said they would let me know in two or three days. Of course now, I've already purchased a SIM here... minor details in the joy of relocating to a beautiful new land :) Glad I have a few years here... may take me that long to figure everything out at the rate I'm going :)
Guess that's all for this day in paradise, time for me to kick up my heels and relax ... almost feel guilty ... almost is the key word here :)
I previously posted pictures on facebook of my first sighting of Italy and my first day here, however, I decided to start blogging after the cruise and my daughter had left, which was on the 14th. I will post a few of those pictures now on my blog from my first day in Italy.
May 11th, the cruise ship docked at Livorno early in the morning.
My first view of my new 'home'
And were delivered to the bed and breakfast on this hill here in Tuscany. This was my first sight of Tuscany. I fell in love!! After visiting with the owner and taking care of paperwork, Carissa and I had a little rest / quiet time before we headed to Pisa. The owner called shortly after we left and said my luggage had all arrived safely. At this point, I wasn't sure I would ever see those things again, however, like all the rest of this journey up to this point, I had faith and trust, and it was not misplaced. This journey seemed to have taken on a life of it's own, and didn't seem to me my thinking to interfere. Accepted this, did not worry about it and had a wonderful rest of my time with Carissa.
My first Gelato in Italy.
PISA
Loved having my daughter make the journey to Italy with me. We had a fabulous time!
The tower... why we went to Pisa :)
That was it for Pisa. Had to get back to the port, as our ship sailed at 6pm. All my belongings were now at the B & B and would be 'living' there until I returned when our cruise ended in Rome on the 14th.
Heading out of the harbor to Rome
Since it was Mother's Day, look what my darling sweet daughter got for me!! I love it!
After the ship disembarked in Rome, Carissa and I had two additional days together there.
Were we disembarked
The door on the street. That's it. Couldn't tell the beautiful lobby behind it.
The dining room. Our first experience with Roman architecture.
Now needless to say, I took hundreds of photos here, so will only post a very few, as I will be back and can post more then.
And then second things! I purchased my first Italian purse.
Only post highlights, as there is no end to the amount of pictures one can take in this city!Vatican City
Ciao
I am enjoying your posts so much, Carmen!
ReplyDeleteThanks for connecting us to your blog. We enjoyed reading it and glad to know all is going well. Have fun apt shopping. Will be different than here I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteLove Steve and Velda
This is fun reading! Karen B
ReplyDeleteDear Carmen,
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for sharing your blog with us!!!
Enjoy your great new experience!!!
Love, Curt and Caroline