The key to living in Italy is to be patient! Very Patient! Nothing gets done in a hurry here, so after previously experiencing this, I did not make any plans for today other than to get my Permesso di Soggiorno, and it is a good thing, since it took me from 8am to 2pm to mail a simple document and get a tax number. When I mentioned this to Luigi this evening, his reply, "Welcome to Italy" :)
As I mentioned yesterday, Liliana picked me up around 8am this morning and we headed for the Questura. All I will say about the experience at the Questura, was it did not have a positive outcome, since the information they gave us was only partially correct. The lady and one man were very friendly, however, the other man obviously didn't get enough sleep over the weekend or he was still hung over... anyway, not my normal impression of the 'friendly people of Italy' :)
Shortly after we left, we received a call from a Polizia (husband of one of Liliana's co-workers) asking us how it went. After Liliana described the situation, he told us to come back to the Questura and he would make sure we got in touch with the correct person to accomplish what we needed. And that was a very Positive experience :) We now had the correct information.
This all required two Espresso's and a chocolate croissant. We then spent about half hour getting my documents translated into Italian and then we were on our way to the Official Poste. Everywhere in Italy is a long line, so you take a number and wait. After waiting some length of time, it was our turn and we were processed efficiently and on our way to the next order of Business; to get a Codice Fiscale. This office (similar to our Court House) closes their doors at 12:30pm. We finally located this office, parked, walked, and arrived at the door and got our time-stamped waiting number at 12:29pm!!! We were the last one, but I was so happy we had made it just in the nick of time! Then we had to wait for an hour and half for our turn but the process itself, took less than 2 minutes, . Now it was 2pm, so we headed to EATALY for lunch. We had a very relaxing lunch and nice visit after which Liliana dropped me off at my apartment about 4pm. All in all it was a very successful day! Thank you Liliana!!!! I couldn't have done it without all your translating!
A chandelier made from Espresso cups and saucers
Some pictures I took today on my walk back from the beach along the promenade:
Then I showered and got ready to go to dinner with the Miscioscia's.
This one is Octopus chopped in bite size and the reason the crust is black... it is made with the ink from squid! It was actually very good!
Tomorrow I'm hoping to get in a little more beach time and also it is laundry day for me (a washer and dryer in the apartment building) and I have a drying rack for my deck for anything I wish to hang outside... drys very quickly in this heat! Getting things cleaned up to be ready to leave on Wednesday for Carema. They will pick me up about 5:30. Looking forward to meeting new people, and anxious to see any I may know from the US and other places as well as hearing many wonderful things... will certainly be a new experience with the translating. Very happy to be able to go.
Carmen, such interesting blogs you write!! I love reading them and seeing all the pictures. The chandelier is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteAhhhh, my friend..... it is bittersweet reading your wonderful posts.... as I'm chomping at the bit to do the same thing.... sooo glad you're able to live the good life like this. I'll live vicariously thru you for now :-) Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Gail
ReplyDelete