Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 12 - 19, 2014 (Post 1 of 3) Carema and The Alps

August 12 - 19, 2014  (Post 1 of 3)  Carema and The Alps



Already it has been two weeks since I've last blogged, and so much has happened, it will put my OLD brain cells to the test for sure, trying to remember all the wonderful experiences I've had in that period of time!!  I'll have to make separate posts, or this could get very long, so will try to do it by topic, however, there will be a lot of crossover information, since I have been with many of the same people for two weeks.  Anyway, here goes.... 

First of all, my ride from Bari to Carema (approx. 1100 km) was an 'all nighter'.  The friend I rode with prefers to travel at night when there is much less traffic, especially around the large cities (Bologna, Milan, etc).  

I missed seeing a lot of scenery by traveling at night, however, I have taken the train up and down this coast three times previously, so didn't get into new territory until after Faenza.  Seems we are both 'big talkers', so probably wouldn't have made much difference :)  even though I am a multi-tasker from way back.  We arrived in Milan around 4:30 AM, gave Pasquale a call and picked him up at his place about 5AM and continued on to Carema, where we arrived about 6:30AM... just in time for breakfast ☺


We arrived!  more of these pictures in post 3 of 3

Was so good to see the 'kids' again.  They had been in Switzerland all week, but came back to Carema.


I dozed off for about an hour after we picked up Pasquale, yet when we arrived, I did not feel tired sooooo... after breakfast I took a walk to stretch out a bit.  Carema is a beautiful little mountain town.



 Notice the foliage growing on the roof.  


Walking under the train tracks.





The Gelato shop is owned by the relatives of Romolo Piovaz's, so every evening you could find lots of people there having ice cream especially the younger set. ☺

Cool vehicles!




Terraced Vineyards everywhere!



  


Also, just up the road a piece is another beautiful place; Pont-Saint-Martin where the train stop is, for anyone coming to Carema by train.  The next day I walked up to this little village.  This old bridge dates back from the 1st Century BC.




From WikipediaThe Pont-Saint-Martin is a Roman segmental arch bridge in the Aosta Valley in Italy dating to the 1st century BC.

















 More terraced vineyards


Entering Carema from the other side.

But back to the 13th, I returned from my walk about 9:15am and these folks from Australia were getting ready to make a trip up to Cervinia (Matterhorn in the Alps on the Italian side), so what an opportunity when I was invited to go!

 I will post some pictures here, however, part 2 of 3, I will dedicate to just Alps pictures.

The Drive Up to the Alps








First glimpses of the Matterhorn













Wonderful days at convention in Carema, where I met so many who had connections in the USA, Australia, Ireland and other places.  Will post those in a separate post (3) after the ALPS post which will be next (post 2 of 3).  


2 comments: