June 16 - 23, 2014 Trying to Find an apartment
The days go so quickly and being with friends and traveling
and trying to secure an apartment has kept me quite busy to say the least. Anyway, I have a few minutes this morning so
will try to at least start this blog. The flowers in Italy are so beautiful this time of year and everyone has lots of them.
I spent the weekend through Tuesday 17th in Vicchio with the
Piccolo's, sorting out my things and packing them up for storage there, to
clear out the room I had been staying in at their home.
I think my things are multiplying!!! Help!
On Wednesday, 18th, caught an 8:30am train back to Lecce in
the South of Italy.
Turned into a 12 hour train ride, as it was storming along
the coast and the train hit branches on the tracks and also a large branch
scraped down the side of the train across my window and down the full length of
the train. We then had to stop and the
Polizia were called as well as track crews to clear the branches, etc. We were there for over two hours. This train was taking me to my destination,
so was not a problem for me with any connections.
The Italians are so expressive when they talk, both in the
timbre and volume of their voice and all their hand use, it is hard to tell
whether they are angry or just talking :)
I arrived in Lecce and the B & B were I was staying was very
close, only 1 1/2 blocks from the train station. The lady of the B & B was actually Spanish and a
very tiny thing, but she hauled my suitcase up those four flights of stairs as
if it were light... and I know for sure it was Not! Lovely
young lady and so pleasant. I am very
impressed with how nice everyone has been and accommodating... of course, I pay
them well :) , these places are not exactly cheap, however, usually less
expensive than a hotel.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/volver-b-b.html
After a wonderful rest I arose early next morning, as I
wanted to beat the line up at the Immigration/Questura office, where I was
going to see if I could get my VISA (save me a trip back to the US) and/or an
extension to stay in Italy another 3 months.
There were two offices, one a couple blocks from the B & B and the
other right next door. Anyway, the
information I had received indicated I needed to go to the further one, so I
did. After arriving there however, could
not find anyone to translate for me, so called the B & B lady to inquire if
she knew someone who could come with me.
She says no problem, she could translate and would come and did so. Turned
out this was not the place I needed to be, so had to go back to the one closest
to her B & B. Now, however, much
time has passed and there is a long line of people waiting. I get in the que, and tell her she does not
have to wait for me. She could go back
to her B & B and I would call her when my turn came. I was in line for 2 1/2 hours. She came back then and also, a young man in
front of me in line spoke excellent English, so he stayed and helped translate
as well.
All to no avail however.
They will not process VISA's here and also would not give me an extension
to stay beyond August 10th, so now my options were to leave just before
convention time here (Aug 16) or leave now and go to the US and try to get my
VISA and get back to Italy in time for Conv.
If I go to the US now, I will be able to come back to Italy for another
30 days on just my passport. If I stay
until Aug. 10th, my time allowed will all be used up and I won't be able to
come back for another 90 days, so I have opted to go back now, and at least be
here for convention in August, just in case I am unable to get a VISA. So, while I had WIFI access in Lecce, I went
on-line and spent a couple hours and searched for plane tickets, train tickets,
hotels, etc.
Now, though, I for sure needed to secure my contract here, to
be able to get a VISA in the US. The
reason I couldn't get my VISA before I came to Italy, was because I needed a
signed contract from Italy. They had
told me in March when I had my interview in San Francisco, that I needed to
come to Italy, get a contract and come back to San Francisco. After speaking with people here in Italy,
they thought I may be able to get my VISA here without going back to Italy, but
when I went to the Questura, they also told me I would have to go back to the
US. So now (June 19th) I continued on to
Porto Cesareo where I originally had a verbal agreement for a contract (and
purchased my return plane tickets on the strength of this), however, when I
arrived there, that place was no longer available, so I spent the next two days
searching for another location. It is
prime tourist season in Porto Cesareo, so no one is wanting to rent long term
at this time, as they make a lot more money renting to tourists. There were a few available however, which I
looked at, but none were suitable. I had also left a few of my things with Giulia, so needed to pick them up before I left for the US.
Now, it is Friday evening and there was a big 'football'
game (soccer) between Italy and Costa Rica, so everything shut down except the bars and
restaurants to watch the game. Nothing
is open on the weekends, and I needed to be in Bari for church on Sunday, so
Saturday morning, I packed my bags and walked the 1/2 hour to the bus stop to go
back to Lecce and catch the train to Bari.
Caputo's picked me up there and I have been with them for the
weekend.
Saturday evening Cristina's friends came to celebrate her birthday. Marco made clams and Cristina made Foccacia
Bread with tomatoes and olives. Both
were very yummy! We took turns singing
happy birthday to her in many languages.
Greek, Italian, English and Spanish.
Focaccia Bread with Tomatoes and Olives
L to R: Carlo, Catherina, Cristina, Marco, Nicola, Mariella, Toula, Malfalda, Timothy, Annarita, Daniel and Mariella's mother Anna (92) in wheelchair.
Cristina's
parents are visiting from Greece and speak no Italian. I am from the US and speak no Italian. Cristina and Marco speak all three languages,
so Cristina translated for her folks and Marco for me. What a privilege to witness the bond of love among
God's people, no matter what language is spoken... the language of love
transcends all other barriers. It was
wonderful.
Cristina with her folks, Timothy and Toula Priniotaki from
Patras, Greece.
Me with Cristina's folks.
There are four generations living in this
house. Marco and Cristina and their two
children live on the upper floor (a complete home) also who I am staying with. Marco's folks Nicola and Mariella and Mariella's mother live on
the ground floor, the original complete home.
Nicola and Mariella (holding Roberto), her mother Anna, Cristina and Marco. Also in picture is Cristina's folks from Greece. Toula holding Aurora and Timothy.
Nicola
Aurora
Roberto
Bougainvillea
Roberto and his grandpa Timothy
In the basement is where they make wine and olive oil.
Olive oil making
Sunday after church, we all had lunch made by Mariella
and the guys BBQ'd over wood.
Marco eating raw clams with fresh lemon juice
and Fresh Figs
After a long Sunday afternoon nap, at 6pm there was another church service at Malfalda's, then back at Marco's we had a very relaxing evening
with a light supper, and early to bed (10:30).
June 23, 2014. Monday
morning, time to get busy looking for an apartment, because now, I have a bit
of an issue, since I need to take a contract back to the US with me to get my
VISA. I did some on-line research over
the weekend and found what looked like a good possibility, so this morning, I
called them early and Cristina took me to see it. Yes! Finally! We both liked it and the area, and the accommodations
(all inclusive, electric, etc), but will wait to give you more details about it
AFTER I sign the contract, which is scheduled for 10am tomorrow morning (June
24th). I have found out one thing in
Italy... it is not done, until it is done :)
So now, instead of living in Porto Cesareo, like I thought I would, looks like I will be living in Bari, (this will make Annamaria very happy) anyway
for one year, and all this depends on getting my VISA in the US. It's a good thing I have learned to live in the moment! Sure makes life more
exciting :)
Cristina's folks return to Greece Tuesday (tomorrow, June
24th) and they asked me to go with them.
I really wanted to do this, however, after the previous contract didn't
materialize, I wasn't sure if I could find a place and get a contract in time
to go with them. Anyway, looks like I
may get to go, if all goes well with getting the contract signed in the
morning. What an opportunity for
me. The crossing to Greece is about a 17
hour Ferry ride. So after my contract is signed tomorrow, I will then purchase my Ferry ticket to Greece.
My plan then is to return from Greece in a few days. I have a train ticket to Vicchio for July 1st
to pick up some things stored there that I need to take with me to the
USA. On July 2nd, I have a train ticket
to Rome to catch an 8:30 pm flight to Dublin, Ireland. I plan to spend a couple days there, and hope
to get in contact with some of my son-n-law's relatives by marriage there.
July 4th, I fly to Sacramento with a plane change at
JFK. That will be a long day! Then after the weekend, I have another
appointment in San Francisco to get my VISA.
I sure hope it goes through without my needing any more documents. I have everything they have requested as far
as I know.
That is all for today, but will post more as all this
transpires.
Ciao
What is Convention Carmen? Is that for your church? If so, what church is it and is there a link where I can read about it? Very interesting reading your blog!! Sure unfortunate that you have to make an extra trip back to the states! They don't make it very easy do they??
ReplyDeleteYou really are "going for it" inspiring to see you live in the moment. No wonder so much is missed when weighted down with preplans...
ReplyDeleteSorry about the extra expense of having to come back to USA turf, you tried...and tried hard. "bet your patience level has come up a notch or 2 or 3. No doubt will get exercised often:)
Ciao Carmen!! I love your blog and pictures, they make me homesick but soothe my Italian soul. Please change my email address in your records to paraaj@atnet.net so your notes come to home instead of work. have been meaning to write for so long but life just keeps racing and every day is great, but very full ; ) tanti grazie di incluirmi per tuoi blog postings. Ciao, ciao, Amy
ReplyDeleteThanks Carmen, very interesting and I am glad to see you happy, you deserve it!
ReplyDeleteHugs, Olga
I checked your post and no new update. Do you have your own apt now? We just got back from Chugwater Conv. We all except Royce and Sue went to con so we could see Karen as she is not able for company. Had a good conv and visit with her and her family. Got home Tues pm and yesterday tried to do a weeks work in one day. So today we are tired and it is so hot. Hard to get used to after sitting in conv. with a jacket on!!
ReplyDeleteHelen Sapp will be moved to a nursing home tomorrow. I think she is 89.
Won't add more and anxious to hear. Jane
Oh my goodness.. You are having so much fun and what an experience of a lifetime!
ReplyDeleteI love hearing all about it and I'm great with just checking in on my own . I hope you don't mind but I shared your blog address with Matt since he loves to talk Italy and wants to go back in a few years!
Today is my 30 year anniversary at the Pud..! I feel better everday as I get closer to retirement!
Chat later! Karen B