Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June 24, 2014 I Rented an Apartment!!

June 24, 2014  I Rented an Apartment !!!



This is really an update to my blog from yesterday dated June 16 - 23, so for today's post to make the most sense, you will need to read my blog from yesterday. 

http://pensioneperpassione.blogspot.it/2014/06/june-16-22-2014-days-go-so-quickly-and.html?spref=fb

It is done!  I have a one year contract and an apartment in Bari, at Via Addis Abeba 31, Italy 70121 (Puglia).   However,  I do not intend to receive mail at this address, so please do not use it for mailing.  I will continue to get my things either at Caputo's or Piccolo's as their addresses are permanent and mine will just be temporary.  My contract doesn't start until August 1, as I will need to be in the US for probably a month to get my VISA.  If you wish to see pictures of the apartment I rented, here is the web site:

  http://www.halldis.com/search/ad.action?city=bari&aid=3660&bid=hl&fd=&td=

(copy and paste into a browser to view)  It is a very nice area of Bari and only a block and half from the Adriatic Sea and a beach, however, my balcony is on the street side, so have to look to the right to see it.  After I actually start living there, I will post more pictures.

The Agent was a very nice man and spoke excellent English.  Also, the contract was done in English, which is good, since I wouldn't want to sign something that I couldn't read and understand. In addition, this particular agency rents to many Americans, so they seemed familiar with what I needed for a VISA.

Then a very interesting thing happened with the agent doing the contract for me.  He had met both me and Cristina and her parents yesterday.  Today when we went to sign the contract, he was curious how someone from American and someone from Greece knew each other in Italy!  I told him it was through our church, that we were like a family (friends knowing friends) so that of course brought up the question of what church.  After discussing the New Testament way that Jesus established he wanted to know how people 'got into our church'.   This of course is where you come in Annamaria :)  We told him if he were interested, we could get him in contact with our ministers.   He said, "so you don't have statutes or others that you pray to?"  No, we have a Heavenly Father that we pray to and he speaks directly to our hearts individually.  He continued working on the contract for a little longer, then he said, "I don't mean to ask so many questions, etc."  We said that we welcomed his questions as that is how the Gospel is spread; please ask all you would like.

Then in addition to this, since Cristina speaks fluent English, Italian and Greek, he wanted to know if she was interested in working for him, as he needed an assistant and was very impressed with her!  Anyway, he gave her his card and told her to be sure and contact him when she returned from Greece in a few weeks.  She was happy about this offer, as she has been wanting to get a job now that the children are in 'school'.

Amazing to me how all these things happened because I ended up in Bari at Caputo's with Cristina and her folks, just as I was out of time for getting my apartment contract and this is where I found one, and with this Agent and with Cristina being so willing to go and help me.  Whether this man gets spiritual and/or physical office help or not, something was awakened in him and he will probably never forget it.  God is so faithful.

Directly from signing the contract, we went to the Port and I now have a ticket to Greece!  We head to the Port at 6pm today and sail at 8pm.  I am very excited for this next adventure!  It is a 17 hour Ferry ride, so I have a cabin to get some rest tonight, however, yesterday, they taught me a new card game that they want to play on the 'boat', so don't know just how much rest I'll get, as I really want to be up in the daylight tomorrow morning as we approach Greece to see it from the sea.  

After spending time taking me to get my contract signed this morning and doing her own shopping before leaving for Greece, Cristina still has much to do to get all packed for her and the children, in addition, her parents are packing up their things after being here three weeks.  Since I have learned to travel light, my things are always packed now, so I just moved them out of the way onto the deck.  I've offered to help in any way I can, but after cleaning up the room I was staying in, looks like the best help I can be is to stay out of the way!!  Said she would let know if there was something she needed help with, since both her parents are flying around as well.  Anyway, I am on the deck, in the wonderful breeze, on the computer. 

Mariella (Marco's mother downstairs) offered to make lunch for everyone today, since we had much to do, and was so nice of her, so we had a wonderful late lunch on their deck today about 2pm.  Cristina picked up the children from 'school' and their Auntie (Marco's sister Lillianna) is here, so she is watching out for them, as they love hanging out with her.  She is so good with them.  It is so obvious that she loves them and they love her!!  

Yesterday evening, the neighbors across the fence prepared late supper for all of us as a goodbye for Cristina's folks.  We were up very late again... it is the way in Italy!  The Mrs. is an artist, and has some very wonderful work.  Her father also was an artist.  I am getting an education in art here in Italy and an appreciation for it! 

Looking forward to getting back to Italy after I get my VISA and settling in and having time to study the language and really learning how to speak it.  I have learned many words, but still not able to carry on a conversation effectively.  I can however, get my point across, thanks to 'sign' language.  Glad that is so acceptable here in Italy :)  One young man here, made a deal with me.  He is trying to improve his English and I need to seriously improve my Italian, so he says after I've had a couple of months of studying Italian, I can only speak to him in Italian and he can only speak to me in English!  He is way ahead of me, however, I am up to the challenge, so brain, don't give out on me now!!

Off to Greece soon, so will let this be all for now.  Next post from Greece!

Ciao


It is done! I have a one year contract and an apartment in Bari, at Via Addis Abeba 31, Italy 70121 (Puglia). However, I do not intend to receive mail at this address, so please do not use it for mailing. I will continue to get my thin...See More
489LikeLike ·  · Promote · 

1 comment:

  1. Carmen! I'm so happy to be reading your blog - what an awesomely fantastic opportunity, I'm glad you grabbed it with both hands :o). You're living my dream! I too am impressed with your 'one day at a time' mantra, it seems that handing over the reins is really the best way to 'be' and you're proving it. I literally can't wait for the next installment, I'm still smiling! Sorry to be missing you in San Fran, I'll be there on the 1st, passing through to LA, but perhaps - someday - I'll see you in Bella Italia! Sending a hug. Angharad.

    ReplyDelete